Actual Scale Captain Orar (using Doghouse's Tutorial)

Pig Of Sparta

Thanks guys, I'm hoping to get some more done in the next couple of days, and I'll update the pics when I do.

Honestly cant wait to see him when he is finished, I know I spent about a hour sesh painting my Truescale marine but yours is looking really good :P

Cheers Ompfris. I hate to say it but I'm really wanting to finish him, I've spent something like 30 odd hours working on Hhim, I think that's the most time I've ever worked on a mini, I'm not gonna rush it though, I've spent this long so I can spend longer getting him perfect.

I thought your one came out really well, the paintwork made him look nice and gritty, like he'd seen some serious, extended fighting. The hard edge highlights worked really well too.

Thanks to blackjack13 I might have decided on a base. what'd you think of this one, painted in greys to be more 'imperial' with a hollowed out battered traitor helmet, maybe a tiny spatter of blood dripping from it, either hanging off the edge of the hole in the middle, or off the edge at the back

pic:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/10_Temple60mm.jpg

let me know what you think....

James

Thanks Anthiron, and cheers for the prod, I've been meaning to do a comparison pic for a while now, so here's one with a regular marine and a guardsman for a true scale comparison....

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/SizeComparison.jpg

as you can see from this pic, the Iron Skull is in place on the right shoulder pad now, awaiting the halo to surround it, hopefully I'll have that done on tuesday.

James

Had a spare few minutes so I decided to have a crack at the halo on the right shoulder pad, it still needs some tidying up to cover the red that's showing through in places, and some of the backing film from the skull transfer (hopefully some purity seal'll take care of that) but I think it came out ok :unsure:

right shoulder:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/s.jpg

I think it needs something more though, I thought of maybe adding some small roman numerals to the front corner of the pad, but I'm not sure.

as usual, all c&c welcome

James

@Captain Mick: cheers Cap, although the pic of the base isn't mine, I still need to buy it :P

@Asmodeus' Swordhand: I'll maybe do a few mockups when I get the base an see how a few things look sitting on it, I really like the base, just not sure if it's a little plain looking. I appreciate the opinion though, thanks.

Whoa, looks amazing despite some not proportionate parts it looks good. Oh and Orar was a Ultramarine captain from a long time ago, no ones quite sure how the Sons Of Orar were formed though.

Pro's:

Awesome model

Truescale

Pose is good

Painting is perfect

Freehand

Cons:

Head is not proportionate

For a captain there should be a real Aquila like normal marines, transfers don't seem appropriate especially for a great hero

Rating 4/5

Good job, could use a little improvements but whatever he looks cool.

thanks for the comments Warforger, I'm glad my free hand impressed someone :tu:. I don't know if you read through the whole thread or not but I'd like to reply to a couple of things you said.

Firstly I went with the Aquila transfer because the model is of Captain Orar from somewhere during the last years of the Heresy or the Scouring. I wanted him to have a small aquila as a 'declaration of alliegence' that's been painted on to his armour during a lull in fighting, hence the lack of detail, he would let chapter artificers do that at a safer time.

For want of a better term it's a 31st millenium 'friend or foe' tag to stop friendly fire, and also show he denounces Horus and his followers.

Secondly, as I said in a previous post, I have used some artistic licence in the painting of this mini, but I think that the fluff is vague enough to accomodate the licence I've taken without diminishing either the mini or the fluff in any way.

Lastly I can see how the head could look disproportionate, but in my opinion the accentuated size of the body and limbs of the mini fit with the fluff about a marine being the equivilent of a walking tank, however your opinion is, I'd like to say, totally valid.

James

Verbal Update: due to monetary constraints, I've decided to mount the cap on a 40mm base from Hasslfree Minitures, I may or may not try and get some funds together to get the temple base I pictured above some time in the new year :wub:

Hey Guys, got a little done tonight, managed to do the script on the banner and the skull motto on the shin, and began highlighting his bolter's casing. I'm gonna try and do the first armour highlight tomorrow, I want to try and do it in one go so the colour mix is consistent.

Here's today's pics;

Banner:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/u.jpg

Wide Shot:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/t.jpg

hopefully I'll post more tomorrow

as always feel free to leave c&c

James

Dorn's Padawan: I don't usually try freehanding, but for the text on the banner one I thinned the paint to an almost milky consistency so it would flow from the brush smoothly. The Iron halo was slightly different, I used thinned blood red to build the shape, and then several coats of thinned skull white to tidy up and defing the shape more. I find it best though if you've got something to build your design from, in this cast the skull and ultramarine transfers really helped me to see where I was going before I got there. As for the steady hand, unfortunately my hands are pretty shaky, I had to really lean on my table top to control them :)

@sgtNACHO: you're right, he did need higlights ;) thanks for your comment.

Today's update; to all intents and purposes, the mini is finished, I may go and sharpen up the highlights on the red that I've done with a little elf flesh/blazing orange mix as the pure blazing orange ones are a little subtle. I kinda like them like that, but looking at the photos I just took I think they're so subtle you can't see them! Next update will hopefully be in the Hall of Honour, and will have him fully finished and based. I've decided not to try adding pouches and/or grenades to his belt as 1) they don't fit round his thigh plates very well, 2) it's really fiddly and I'll probably trail glue all over the paint, and 3) I think he looks okish without them.

So on to the pics;

front:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/front.jpg

left side:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/left.jpg

right side:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/right.jpg

back:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/back.jpg

and finally, the angle I'll be displaying him at:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/displayangle.jpg

As you can see I've added a couple of details to him since last night. Firstly I've added the numbers on his shoulder pad cause I thought it loked a little empty, so the II could be his company number, or the number of his chapter within the Ultramarine Legion. Secondly I added a small amount of text to his left greave. This is either a memorial list of his fallen brothers, or a list of the campaigns and battle he has fought in, or perhaps a list of his personal honours...

as usual, please leave c&c,

James

(oh, and yes, that's real snow in those photos ^_^ )

I cant see the front pic :( Also are the highlights on him in those pics? If so they need to be brought out alot more, or the snow is messing with it.

Now if only we could use snow that wouldn't melt that we could use on our bases ;) that would be amazing

I really like the mini and not that I understand it's a "fluff" based piece the lack of details for a captain makes more sense. As far as proportionality (is that even a word ;)) All the cover art on the Horus Heresy novels picture little head marines in giant suits of armor. It makes sense though because power armor isn't skin tight and should look bulky on anyone.

Anyway great job and good luck with making a cool base too.

The front pic should now be viewable, I'm not sure what I did, but I must've made a mistake when I copied the link :)

There are highlights, but I need to take them up a little more, you can only really see the blazing orange in the right light and it turns out that it was too bright outside for you to see them... So I'm gonna add a little elf flesh to some blazing orange and go back over them.

Cheers Morning Shadow, I'm a little confused by '...and not that I understand it's a "fluff" based piece the lack of details for a captain makes more sense.' But I'm glad someone agrees on the huge bulk of power armour. (I know there are loads of people who do, we've just got to convert the rest of them -_-)

Aquatone, if I do any more of these scale marines, before I even think about the arms, I'm gonna get the waist sorted :)

Munting, check back in a weeks time, hopefully he'll be properly finished then ;)

Well since you asked, I think the models in pictures F, M, and P are the best ones. I think you made the waist more than a little too skinny and tall, making the marine's legs look shorter than they seem by comparison, but other than that, exceptional work. You make me want to try and do up one of my Ultra's like this. Then the other 200 or so of them.

Pig Of Sparta: Mate this guy looks the shizzles. I think when i next do a table-top army, i will seriously have to consider 'acquiring' your idea of Sons of Orar as my chapter to do. Of course, Kudos will go to you. You make the legion proud! :) ;)

Archived