Actual Scale Captain Orar (using Doghouse's Tutorial)

Pig Of Sparta

Sorry about that Pig of Sparta, that should have read "now" instead of "not". What I meant was as a captain his armor seemed to lack detail but after reading the fluff you have based on the mini it makes perfect sense. Anyway like I said it's a great mini, keep up the good work.

Okay, I wondered if the snow and lighting had anything to do with it :) Anyways although a little more beef on the waist would look better, oh well. It still looks really awesome to me, and maybe Mr.Orar here forgot to eat for oh say 5 months, and is a little skinny :D

I know I said the next update would hopefully be in the Hall of Honour, but I'm still waiting for the Cap's base to arrive, so I can't get him properly finished just now. On the plus side I have gone back and redone his highlights and I think they look much better now. Thanks go to SgtNacho for making me look again at these. So here's the new pics, I know that this thread's probably getting boring now, but I promise it's nearly done ;)

display angle:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/display2.jpg

front 1:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/front2.jpg

front 2:(I used the flash for this one just to try and show the highlights up better, I don't like the sheen it gives the armour, but the highlights stand out really well)

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/front3.jpg

left side:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/left2.jpg

So as usual, please leave c&c as you see fit

James

Thanks Astador. I'm not sure about brightening the banner SgtNacho, I went for the more subdued colours on it because I wanted it to stand out from but not overshadow the rest of the mini. The only part of it I wish I'd done differetn wast the wreath around the centre. I'm not entirely convinced green was the best colour to use for it. Hopefully my bases I ordered will show up tomorrow so I can get this mini finished.

James

Thanks Raz, I've got two choices of base for him to go on, and was thinking of using green glazing and washing to age the stones on them, that might tie the banner in better.

Cheers Shotgun, feel free to use the idea if it appeals to you.

Warsmith, I can see where you're coming from, but I wanted a spartan look to the decoration on his armour so used as little gold as possible on him, also I felt the red tied in with his personal colours better, but thanks for the comment. :)

Looks awesome! Very nice proportions!

A couple of improvements could be made if you added more to the waist, IMHO it looks too slim, and although the transfers look cool, I always tend to find it detracts from the mini as a whole.

Keep up the good work!

Capt. Jack

• 1 year later...

Ha Ha :lol: Didn't expect to see this thread come back from the dead. Glad you like him Brother Tyrax. I like to think that he represents a turning point with both my painting and modelling skills. I have plans to re-visit Actual Scaling in the future, but it won't be for quite a while yet :lol:

Thanks

James

Wow, amazing Captain, Pig of Sparta. Very amazing indeed. Deep red, clean white, subtle highlights and recesses, really nice.

What somehow looks a little bit off is his waist. He is a tad too slim, compared to his upper torso. Just my thoughts. ;)

Snorri

The only thing that really nagged on me with this project so far is his chest. It looks to plain. The rest of the model is outstanding, and I feel the decal is cutting your model short.

Got the same opinion.

Great mini, looks really good, but the chest looks a little plain.

You could have carefully heated up an eagle from any IG or SM Vehicle Sprue, so that it gets bendable... this way you could have slung it around the chest plate...

But anyway, great mini though.

Archived