How NOT to build a DIY Chapter (Collaborative IA)

GhostLegion

Yeah, i like it. It will be like in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. You know, when the priest/missionary guy has to recite the speech for the holy hand grenade of Antioch. Thou shalt count to 3, no more, no less. 3 is the number thou shalt count and no other. Thou shalt not count to 4, nor 2, unless then preceding ontu 3. 5 is right out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry for thhe extensive use of lol smileys. Anyway something long and perhaps just turns into a long list at the end. Perhaps something like Then the holy brothers of the Ultra Templars then saved thine brothers from oblivion. Chapters like the Ultramarines, Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Salamanders, Raven Guard, Silver Skulls, Red Templars, Black Templars, Iron Hands, Space Wolves etc. etc. etc. If that isn't the longest, worst, most unthinkable battlecry to say on the field of battle. I dont know what is.

OH,Oh,oh I just had an idea. Perhaps if we are really going for an unthinkable chapter we could

:Have 3 of our own Imperial Guard regiments in the grass clipping suits.

:Have a Battle Barge for every one of our companies.

:Have our servitors trained in the art of polishing, allowing every piece of equipment a shine that no amount of bullets, rust, mud, or blood can cover up.

:Have the largest Chapter Foundry of any other chapter.

:A Fortress Monastery for all of our companies. Plus the Fortress Chapel (the uber-est fortress monastery ever) for the whole chapter

:A completely perfect complexion, free of any metalic studs or scars, that makes even the Blood Angels envious

:Great forms of arts, they have their own orchestra, (My poor Blood Angels aren't getting a break at all)

:Our own trio of Baneblades under the control of our Imp. Guard

:A Reaver and two WarHound Titans that we own, but are maintained and operated by the AM.

If these aren't some very, VERY, bad ideas for a "correct" chapter. I don't know what are. Oh one last question, I hope we didn't ask this already. Our we going to be butting in on 40k battles that have been clearly laid out such as Macragge, the Isstavan Dropsite Massacre( who says we didn't help at all during the heresy??)

How about:

'Oh Godly Emperor grant us strength and courage to smite our enemies in the heat of battle wherein they shall be completely obliterated and destroyed. Thy will of mind compels us to destroy these foul heretics and xenos. In thy name we declare that these foes shall be destroyed for the greater betterment of the Imperium. Always forward we shall march, destroying the enemy plague. For the Emperor, for Guilliman, for ?homeworld?, for our fallen brethren, and for Terra, we are the Ultra Templars, priestly warrior angels of the Adeptus Astartes, and defenders of mankind...

DIE!!!!'

amen :lol:

How about:

'Oh Godly Emperor grant us strength and courage to smite our enemies in the heat of battle wherein they shall be completely obliterated and destroyed. Thy will of mind compels us to destroy these foul heretics and xenos. In thy name we declare that these foes shall be destroyed for the greater betterment of the Imperium. Always forward we shall march, destroying the enemy plague. For the Emperor, for Guilliman, for ?homeworld?, for our fallen brethren, and for Terra, we are the Ultra Templars, priestly warrior angels of the Adeptus Astartes, and defenders of mankind..

That works but then after mankind we add, the saviors of our brothers of the Ultramarines, Dark Angels, etc. etc. etc., without the etc. s of course

'Oh Godly Emperor grant us strength and courage to smite our enemies in the heat of battle wherein they shall be completely obliterated and destroyed. Thy will of mind compels us to destroy these foul heretics and xenos. In thy name we declare that these foes shall be destroyed for the greater betterment of the Imperium. Always forward we shall march, destroying the enemy plague. For the Emperor, for Guilliman, for [/i]?homeworld?, for our fallen brethren, and for Terra, we are the Ultra Templars, priestly warrior angels of the Adeptus Astartes, defenders of mankind, and the saviors of our brothers the Ultramarines...

DIE!!'

better? I didn't add other the others cause it's way too OTT

'Oh Godly Emperor grant us strength and courage to smite our enemies in the heat of battle wherein they shall be completely obliterated and destroyed. Thy will of mind compels us to destroy these foul heretics and xenos. In thy name we declare that these foes shall be destroyed for the greater betterment of the Imperium. Always forward we shall march, destroying the enemy plague. For the Emperor, for Guilliman, for [/i]?homeworld?, for our fallen brethren, and for Terra, we are the Ultra Templars, priestly warrior angels of the Adeptus Astartes, defenders of mankind, and the saviors of our brothers the Ultramarines...

DIE!!'

better? I didn't add other the others cause it's way too OTT

1) with the way this has been going OTT is good.....so long as it is well written. Want proof? look at the chapter master and chapter history. At first glance neither are OTT, but for those of us who have been around a while...well...they are out there somewhere.

2) I have to say Asmodeus, Im rather impressed with your bit here at the moment...I can almost hear the monotone canticle of the Ultra Templars as they recite this...and the cringing muttering of the other chapters who hear it! I do have to say, the DIE! bit is a little too much maybe. And it might be more fun to have the last sentance read something like

For Emperor and Imperium, for Guilliman, for fallen brothers, and for Terra, we stand as Ultra Templars. We are the perfected warrior angels of the Adeptus Astartes, defenders of mankind and the saviors of our brother Ultramarines.

someone show me this is a bad change please...the mead is going straight to my head tonite.

(*sits back secretly wondering if Ultramarine forum lurkers are getting irate yet*)

oh...and @NACHO

OH,Oh,oh I just had an idea. Perhaps if we are really going for an unthinkable chapter we could

:Have 3 of our own Imperial Guard regiments in the grass clipping suits.

:Have a Battle Barge for every one of our companies.

:Have our servitors trained in the art of polishing, allowing every piece of equipment a shine that no amount of bullets, rust, mud, or blood can cover up.

:Have the largest Chapter Foundry of any other chapter.

:A Fortress Monastery for all of our companies. Plus the Fortress Chapel (the uber-est fortress monastery ever) for the whole chapter

:A completely perfect complexion, free of any metalic studs or scars, that makes even the Blood Angels envious

:Great forms of arts, they have their own orchestra, (My poor Blood Angels aren't getting a break at all)

:Our own trio of Baneblades under the control of our Imp. Guard

:A Reaver and two WarHound Titans that we own, but are maintained and operated by the AM.

Focus ....Focus....lets complete the article first!! once we get the full draft done, THEN we can think about going back through it and pushing it more off the deepend. As it is, this thing is already getting sick enough to make me want to repaint my movie marines as Ultra Templars!!

Oh one last question, I hope we didn't ask this already. Our we going to be butting in on 40k battles that have been clearly laid out such as Macragge, the Isstavan Dropsite Massacre( who says we didn't help at all during the heresy??)

1) We were lost in the warp for the heresy....as written already...cognative dissonance aside, I dont think having us taking part in the massacre would work out well. (this is not to say ariving late with an "oh damn it all we missed the fun...uh...is anyone hurt?" mentality couldnt be amusingly well written)

2)Butting in on scripted (official) battles is a deffinite must...if we can come up with a good sidebar. No, i dont mean a "hey we were there too," but I do mean a "you would have lost without us....but I guess you can have the credit anyway."

3) Focus on the areas currently lacking information/refinement before reediting what we have already written. (unless you kindly take the time to draft up a rewrite of a section!!!)

....and can we avoid crazy hippy Captain Flowers should we do any of the reedits? I do not want to revoke tin-foil hat privelages here, but some readers are already forgetting to wear it when they start looking at additions!!!

Ok updated battlecry:

'Oh Godly Emperor grant us strength and courage to smite our enemies in the heat of battle wherein they shall be completely obliterated and destroyed. Thy will of mind compels us to cleanse of these foul heretics and xenos. In thy name we declare that these foes shall be destroyed for the greater betterment of the Imperium. Always forward we shall march, destroying the enemy plague. For the Emperor, for Guilliman, for our fallen brethren, and for Terra, we stand as Ultra Templars.We are the perfected priestly warrior angels of the Adeptus Astartes, defenders of mankind and the saviors of our brothers the Ultramarines...'

Better? thankyou for the compliment by the way :P

cheers guys

Sorry about the list, I was bored and it just popped into my head. As for the combat doctrine, I believe it shouldn't need alot of anything considering it is the exact using of the Codex Astartes. I can't think of anything to change or make up without complete hipocracy ensuing. Of course just saying "Read the Codex to find out you fools" would sound very incomplete.

Long live the tin foil hat men of the Ultra Templars.

Combat Doctrine

The Ultra Templars adhere to the Codex Astartes more than any other chapter. Not a single specialized Veteran operates in the Ultra Templars. Not even the amount of Librarians, Chaplains, and other specialized marines differ from Codex regulations. The Ultramarines both respect and wonder at the Ultra Templar's combat doctrine, respecting them for their strict adherence and dedication to the Codex Astartes.

The Ultra Templars are not known to specialize in combat, however they do take a slightly greater pride in extremely precise and effective flanking maneuvers. Ultra Templar flanks have destroyed whole Ork WAAAGH charge, Chaos assaults, Tau insertion forces, and other strong foes. The Ultra Templars do not have a larger amount of biker, assault, or landspeeder squads; although they are often given great admonition from their Brother Templars. Although the Dark angels and Raven Guard see this slightly greater love for flanking maneuvers as the Ultra Templars as being hypocritical; thankfully they have no grudge against the Ultra Templars.

The Ultra Templars are a welcome ally by all Imperial forces, and can often times be seen leading Imperial Guard, Space Marine, and even Daemonhunter and Witch Hunter forces.

Many believe this ability to commandeer Imperial forces comes from the Templars' strong connection with the Inquisition.

All and all the Ultra Templars are the most extremely Codex adherent chapter. They will not change the ways given by the Codex, ever for changing the rules of such a holy tomb of the knowledge of waging war, would be blasphemous.

Battle cry

The Ultra Templars have the longest recorded battle cry of any military force of the Imperium. Many have asked about its length only to receive a lecture on the meaning of the battle cry itself. The Ultra Templars' battle cry is more like a serenade to humanity and the Ultra Templars' kin.

'Oh Godly Emperor grant us strength and courage to smite our enemies in the heat of battle wherein they shall be completely obliterated and destroyed. Thy will of mind compels us to cleanse of these foul heretics and xenos. In thy name we declare that these foes shall be destroyed for the greater betterment of the Imperium. Always forward we shall march, destroying the enemy plague. For the Emperor, for Guilliman, for our fallen brethren, and for Terra, we stand as Ultra Templars.We are the perfected priestly warrior angels of the Adeptus Astartes, defenders of mankind and the saviors of our brothers the Ultramarines...'

Home world

Venus has hive cities, but nothing will be underground, the lowest level will be ground level and there will be no gang warfare. Everything is peaceful and every level has access to seeing the sun. In addition, the hive city runs completely on alternative energy, solar panels line the walls and windmills tower on the lower levels. Every room used for sleeping is comfortable for housing standard families of six, this includes parents, children, grandparents. Each level has restaurants, stores, libraries and schools. All children are educated to an exceptional degree, children known how to read and write by four standard years and begin advanced sciences and arithmetic at nine standard years.

The ground itself is fertile worldwide and produces the most beautiful flowers on this side of Armageddon. Trees tower higher than the redwoods of old Terra. Researchers on the world are all master botanists. Graveyards are kept outside with flowers grown by local groundskeepers. The seasons shift between Spring and Summer, the temperature is warm and comfortable always with a cool breeze. In addition to these fertile fields, Venus is covered in hundreds of naturally formed lakes. These lakes are the homes to hundreds of fish species with gorgeous colors. Fishing is a worldwide hobby.

Venus maintains a planetary defense force numbering some several thousand men, each wears a modified bulky suit, originally intended for moving cargo. The suit runs on grass clippings and is armed with plasma rifles which never overheat and bolters with various specialized munitions.

Venus' primary export is flower seeds, some worlds rely exclusively on the world for their flowers and Armageddon's terraforming after three wars relies almost exclusively on the planet. Valhallans, Elysians, Kriegers, Cadians, Tallarns, Mordians, Praetorians, almost every world, imports flowers, wood and seeds from Venus. The Emperor's Palace itself is decorated with these flowers, hand planted by the Emperor's Custodian Guard. A secondary export is fish, these are also shipped to Terra itself where the Emperor's Palace's fish tanks are filled with them, again maintained by the Emperor's Custodian Guard. Because of these exports and being home to the legendary Ultra Templars, Venus is not called on to supply men for the Imperial Guard.

The Ultra Templars themselves live in the snow capped mountains of the northern continent. They use special thermal generators to warm the air yet keep the snow from melting. This allows for the climate to be only slightly chilly when it should be around 50 degrees negative Centigrade. The Ultra Templars have used the extensive mineral mines in the mountains as materials for their buildings. The Ultra Templars haves 11 main structures central to their chapter. The Fortress Chapel is an extremely large structure made entirely out of Onyx, Steel, Adamantium, and very precious and strong minerals. The Fortress Chapel can hold all of the Ultra Templar forces in one room, the great hall. As well as the Fortress Chapel, every company has a Fortress Monastery. Although they are smaller than other chapter's Fortress Monastery's, they do not need to be. Each Fortress has a gleaming shine from the the building materials. The walls are lined with Venus' rare flowers and grasses. These are only a facade to the Fortress' defense systems. Each has 4 Plasma Destructor turrets, these are used as defensive weapons all over Venus.

They use the special form of Purple plasma. Purple Plasma is just as destructuve as standard Plasma. However, unlike Plasma, it has special properties that keep it cool under a special gravity field. When fired the plasma is cool and looks quite liquidy as it approaches its target. Once the plasma hits the target however the gravity field dies and the plasma superheats.

Along with other more common Imperium weapons, the Fortress' of the Ultra Templars are a beautiful and destructive sight to behold.

Although Venus' surface is the most wonderful sight to see in all of the Imperium, that is only the surface. Underneath the surface in the heated rocks live a species of beings know as Venusians. These beings skin is as hard as the armor of a Space Marine Scout, and they have excellent strength. The Venusians are not happy of the off-worlders use of the surface and have waged war against them. The Venus 6th PDF guard the tunnels to the underground. Venus citizens have been asked to stay away from these tunnels and be sure to give a report if the guards are not on duty.

I added a little more. Feel free to pick and choose what you guys want or would like to change. Also part of me really really wants to change the whole grass clippings suit thing. I know we need some Mary Sue and all but can we at least make them run on something cooler than grass. (Im not a huge fan of the whole corn ethanol thing) Oh and not water either. Something futuristic and cool that is also viable. Venus or no the Imperium would never use grass clipping suits...EVER.

If I remember correctly, the Chimera, Leman Russ and even Rhino can all run on anything, that includes grass :D . So, what would you suggest changing, what the suits run on? I'm confused about your concern on water? Would you prefer lakes of gelatin or toffee?

No although i'm sure toffee wouldwork ^_^ Anyway I'm just saying like a built in plasma generator, or a new prototype mineral engine. Not something sissy and easy to find. Easy to find is for wimps who are too lazy to look. Im saying something that just says "Dont F*#^ with me." Not look at me i walk in an environmentally friendly grass powered suit. Even if a Rhino could run on grass(and i'd like to know where you aquired that info cause i wanna check it out) it still belches black smoke.

alright NACHO, I think youve done well for all three sections. The combat doctrine and battle cry section can now be edited from what you did for form/format and we can fit those into place. I dont think we need rewrites there.

The homeworld section is nicely fleshed out, but it needs to be adjusted for readability and '40kified.' you kindly gave us the structure and I think we can make the final adjustments once its smoothed down. If youre willing, please take a look again at some of the other IA articles homeworld sections and see if you cant make some adjustments, if only for readability and bringing the section into the 40k themes (sort of). right now it is more of a list, and we will need it adjusted some before form/functional edits can be performed.

and kingkong....no lakes of toffee, confetti, geletin or other gooey goodness. please...focus...dont let the imagination run away with you!! though the article is deffinately OTT, we do want it to sort of fit into the 40k theme...kind of...with a whole lot of 'these really are good guys you know' added in.

NACHO, I read on Warseer and often people talk about how effective the Russ, Chimera or Rhino is and they say that it can run on near anything. I think the thread stated an oxymoron in the codex with how the Rhino was efficient and easy to produce, but the method of production or knowledge behind it was becoming lost.

Please, edit the homeworld to what you believe it should be, I'll see what you type, see what I agree and disagree with and we'll come to a conclusion. I don't know what you would like the suits to run on, I said grass clippings because I was making the perfect green world without greenskins.

I said grass clippings because I was making the perfect green world without greenskins.

Wow :D

Anyway thanks GhostLegion. As far as the whole homeworld section. Im not that great with making the whole well flowing reading thing. If you read my IA: Sentinels article you'll see what I mean. The whole list thing is kind of engraved into my brain ;) Ever since I got to the B&C I have been working on it. I could definitly 40kitize it, but I think someone else with much better literary skills could rewrite it with a more free flowing format. As long as the general ideas get across i don't care much for whats in between :devil:

Home world

Venus has hive cities, but no living quarters are underground, the lowest level for public use is ground level, and there is no gang warfare. Everything is peaceful and every level has access to seeing the sun. In addition, the hive city runs completely on alternative energy, solar panels line the walls and windmills tower on the lower levels. Every room used for sleeping is comfortable for housing standard families of six, this includes parents, children, grandparents. Each level has restaurants, stores, libraries and schools. All children are educated to an exceptional degree, children known how to read and write by four standard years and begin advanced sciences and arithmetic at nine standard years. All citizens are required to pray to the Emperor from 6 to 7, both morning and night. Venus' main hive Hive Masirist is the home to an Inquisitor. Here the Inquisitor takes watches over the Ultra Templars.

The ground itself is fertile worldwide and produces the most beautiful flowers on this side of Armageddon. Trees tower higher than the redwoods of old Terra. Researchers on Venus are all master botanists. Graveyards are kept outside with flowers grown by local groundskeepers. The seasons shift between Spring and Summer, the temperature is warm and comfortable always with a cool breeze. In addition to these fertile fields, Venus is covered in hundreds of naturally formed lakes. These lakes are the homes to hundreds of fish species with gorgeous colors..

Venus maintains a planetary defense force numbering some several thousand men, each wears a modified bulky suit, was originally intended for moving cargo, the UT-R4 power lifter. The suit runs on new Adeptus Mechanicus prototype, Gorgon Thunder Generators, devices that use self recycling plasma exhaust to keep the suit running. Along with The plasma rifles which never overheat and bolters with various specialized munitions, the UT-R4 has two servo-arms.

Venus' primary export is flora, some worlds rely exclusively on Venus for their flowers, and Armageddon's terraforming after three wars relies almost exclusively on the planet. Valhallans, Elysians, Kriegers, Cadians, Tallarns, Mordians,and Praetorians, almost all use the flowers from Venus. The Emperor's Palace itself is decorated with these flowers, hand planted by the Emperor's Custodian Guard. A secondary export is fish, these are also shipped to Terra itself where the Emperor's Palace's fish tanks are filled with them, again maintained by the Emperor's Custodian Guard. Because of these exports and being home to the legendary Ultra Templars, Venus is not called on to supply men for the Imperial Guard.

The Ultra Templars themselves live in the mountains of the northern continent. The Ultra Templars have used the extensive mineral mines in the mountains as materials for their buildings. The Ultra Templars use 11 main structures to hold their chapter. The Fortress Chapel is an extremely large structure made entirely out of Onyx, Steel, Adamantium, and very precious and strong minerals. It can hold all of the Ultra Templar forces, in one room, the great hall. As well as the Fortress Chapel, every company of the Templars has a Fortress Monastery. At these fortresses the Ultra Templars meditate in large groups. They hold huge masses to pray and reflect in times passed. As one walks the halls of the Fortress Chapel, they see many wonders of humanity. Wonderfully woven tapestries of times during the Great Crusade, holy relics, and well written speeches from the Primarchs and Emperor himself. In the Hall of Relics the Ultra Templars hold onto pieces of history. Here is held the Holy Crown of the Emperor, the crown which sat upon his head the fateful day he was mutilated by Horus. Also is held the body of Ollanius Pius. The Guardsmen who sacrificed himself to save the Emperor, his body lays next to his armor which still holds the obvious bullet hole.

Each Fortress has been blessed by the High Chaplain Kreenus. Their surfaces gleam under the sun, and are a beacon of light in the dark. They are lined with Venus' rare fauna. The Fortress grounds are maintained by the highest gardeners on Venus. Of course what is a fortress without fortifications. The Fortress' defense systems are specially designed by the Imperial Fists. The Fortress Chapel has an assortment of deployable firing walls, energy barriers, and gun turrets. The Fortress has 4 Plasma Destructor turrets, these are used as defensive weapons for all the main structures of the Ultra Templars, as well as the main hive city of Venus, Hive Masirist.

Venus use the plasma prototype, Purple plasma. Purple Plasma is just as destructuve as standard Plasma. However, unlike Plasma, it has special properties that keep it cool under a special gravity field. When fired the plasma is cool and looks quite liquidy as it approaches its target. Once the plasma hits the target however the gravity field dies and the plasma superheats.

Along with other more common Imperium weapons, such as the hellstorm cannon, and lascannons. The Fortress' of the Ultra Templars are a beautiful and destructive sight to behold.

Venus' surface is the most wonderful sight to see in all of the Imperium. Underneath the surface in the heated rocks live a species of beings know as Venusians. These beings thirst for war, and are naturally born fighters. With skin as hard as the armor of a Space Marine Scout, and their excellent strength, the Venusians have been frequently sending raiding parties to the surface. The Venus 6th PDF, guard the tunnels to the underground. Venus citizens have been asked to stay away from these tunnels and be sure to give a report if the guards are not on duty. The Venusians are not yet a serious problem, but are being watched carefully. If they become to aggressive, the Ultra Templars will be asked to step in, and cleanse the taint from the bowels of Venus.

I like the idea and i'm sure we should add that in somewhere. But our task is, at the moment, to create all the main sections as flushed out as we can. Then we can add in all the extra little bits of Mary Sue-ishnessocity we want. Besides we are gonna be chillin with all the Chapter Masters. Old Man Sanguinius, Calagar the smurf, Shrike (I know he isn't the Chapter Master[i think]) all hanging out telling stories of the good old days.

Whoa, we are letting this thread fall behind. We need to refuel on it. This needs to be finished to completion. I dont think we're done until Ghostlegion says "Congrats guys, fantastic job" or something. We need to keep this thread alive.

Edited it together for you guys:

Origins

As the Horus Heresy neared its peak and the loyalist legions of space marines rush to the defense of the Emperor and Terra, a chapter of the Ultramarines legion happened into a current in the Warp they believed would put them near Terra in time to be useful. Unfortunately, the swell turned into one of the few deep flows, pulling the battle barge Thrice Refracted Light down and leaving them becalmed, unable to move within the tides of the Emperyan. Searches for the barge and its escorts following the Battle of Terra reveal nothing of the fate of the chapter, and the full brotherhood is declared lost, leading to a prolonged period of mourning throughout the children of Guilliman.

Millennia later the Ultra Templars reappeared, their warp scarred battle barge and escorts arriving just as the might of the Ultramarines was about to crumble before a Black Crusade. With the sudden arrival of fresh Astartes, the Loyalist forces began to push their traitorous brothers back into the Eye of Terror. The Ultra Templars had returned.

[img; background-image:url(http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/hq2.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: 8px 2px; padding: 12px 8px 12px 8px; border: 1px solid #DDD; margin-left: 0 auto; text-align: left; color: #fff; text-indent:50px; font-size:130%; width:50%;">http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1226225353/gallery_9540_2119_16840.jpg[/img]

Ultra Templar Space Marine

(Squad Type and Helmet Stripe indicate Company)

Following the triumphant defeat of the renegades, the combined fleet entered the orbit of an unrecorded planet, and the Thrice Refracted Light was soon hailed by a vessel of the Inquisition. The Master of the Ultra Templars was quickly determined to be a loyal son of the Emperor, and much was made of their return. But the Ultra Templars soon were made aware of the fate that had befallen the Emperor and his favored sons at the Battle of Terra, learning that even their Primarch had fallen in the shocking time that had passed since their disappearance. The leadership of the combined Imperial forces was shocked to learn the Ultra Templars were completely unaware of these events, but not as incredulous as the representatives of the Ultramarines Chapter were to find their long dead brothers suddenly returned to them.

Shortly thereafter, the Ultra Templars were brough to Terra, both in recognition of their auspicious arrival and to allow the High Lords to question the story of the chapter themselves. Assured the chapter was indeed loyal by the testimony of a then young sergeant Garyld Stewvart, the High Lords amended the rolls of Second Founding chapters to include the Ultra Templars, providing them both new heraldry and colors to separate and distinguish themselves from the Ultramarines. As an additional boon and reward for their saving of several companies of marines and Imperial Guard regiments when they returned, the Ultra Templars were given Venus as their new home. Venus, the shining star of the Sol System was untouched by the affects of war and, due to excellent terra-forming projects, remains the greatest agri-world in all the Imperium. Soon after establishing themselves on their new world, the chapter was sent with an Inquisitorial observer to quell a rebellion that was quickly growing out of control.

In the Vronix system the Ultra Templars were startled by the destruction and desolation the rebellion had spawned. A rapid strike of Thunderhawk Gunships raced to the defense of the last remaining hive in the system, finding it besieged by the metallic skeletal hordes of the Necrons. Incensed these Xenos would attempt to defy the will of the Emperor and inspired by the righteous fire of the Great Crusade which still burned through their being, the Ultra Templars surged to the defense of the population. Wave after wave, enemy after enemy, the Necrons pressed their attacked. Their rank and file troops were just as strong, durable, and heavily armored as any space marine however, the Ultra Templars chose that moment to display their extreme fighting prowess and great marksmanship abilities to the full, destroying the Necron army in a single night. Every bolter shot rang true, every sword strike struck home, destroying them and annihilating their bodies. Even as the Necron horde worked to rise from the dead and continue the fight, the Ultra Templars continued to beat them down. Yet not all went as planned and the only casualty that day was the old master, the elder marine that had led the chapter for so long was no more. He was not mourned long, as his life had been a shining example to his brother marines even unto the end. Soon the chapter leadership named a new master, and the honors and trappings of leadership fell on the shoulders of then Captain Garyld Stewvart.

The Ultra Templars continue to serve as the bright star of the Adeptus Astartes, striking out from Venus in teams, squads, and companies to do the Emperor’s will and with the aide of their Inquisitorial allies. Each Inquisitor working with the Ultra Templars has been the apprentice of the previous one, continuing the storied partnership through the ages. These lucky inquisitors consider themselves privileged to have the wondrous opportunity to assist the Astartes find their way through the myriad of tired traps and troubles within the labyrinthine existence of the Administratum and other layers of bureaucracy. Likewise the Ultra Templars feed their pride with the knowledge that the Inquisition itself supports their decisions and actions, no matter the cause, no matter the result.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/hq2.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: 8px 2px; padding: 12px 8px 12px 8px; border: 1px solid #DDD; margin-left: 0 auto; text-align: left; color: #fff; text-indent:50px; font-size:130%; width:50%;">Combat Doctrine

Still to be defined

The Ultra Templars adhere to the Codex Astartes more than any other chapter. Not a single specialized Veteran operates in the Ultra Templars. Not even the amount of Librarians, Chaplains, and other specialized marines differ from Codex regulations. The Ultramarines both respect and wonder at the Ultra Templar's combat doctrine, respecting them for their strict adherence and dedication to the Codex Astartes.

The Ultra Templars are not known to specialize in combat, however they do take a slightly greater pride in extremely precise and effective flanking maneuvers. Ultra Templar flanks have destroyed whole Ork WAAAGH charge, Chaos assaults, Tau insertion forces, and other strong foes. The Ultra Templars do not have a larger amount of biker, assault, or landspeeder squads; although they are often given great admonition from their Brother Templars. Although the Dark angels and Raven Guard see this slightly greater love for flanking maneuvers as the Ultra Templars as being hypocritical; thankfully they have no grudge against the Ultra Templars.

The Ultra Templars are a welcome ally by all Imperial forces, and can often times be seen leading Imperial Guard, Space Marine, and even Daemonhunter and Witch Hunter forces.

Many believe this ability to commandeer Imperial forces comes from the Templars' strong connection with the Inquisition.

All and all the Ultra Templars are the most extremely Codex adherent chapter. They will not change the ways given by the Codex, ever for changing the rules of such a holy tomb of the knowledge of waging war, would be blasphemous.

Organization

Shortly after returning to the Imperial fold after having been lost in the Warp, the Ultra Templars quickly reorganized themselves to better fit within the chapter structures laid out in by their Primarch following the Heresy. The chapter has rejected any modified formations and continues to fight in either without the specialized veteran formations the Ultramarines have taken to. Though Ultramarine in tradition and formation, the Ultra Templars look down on their parent chapter since their return to the Imperium. They see the Ultramarines as having strayed from the path set forth by Guilliman and view modifications to the traditional formations as a rejection of the Primarch’s teachings. This has caused the Ultra Templars to see only themselves as the true heirs to Guilliman’s legacy, and drives them to tenaciously adhere to the strictest interpretation of the codex astartes, if only to prove it need no modification or changes over the centuries.

Beliefs

The pristine and serene life on Venus allows people time to pursue their collective interests, every citizen working to aide one another through their daily routines in harmonious service to the Emperor. Under the beneficent eye of the Ultra Templars, these activities have brought Venus to be the shining example of the good of the Imperium, lighting the way for all the citizens to follow. The example set forth by the Ultra Templars in their firmly seated faith that theirs are the right actions and that the Emperor chose them to lead his lost children back to him, serves to guide the average citizen and inspires them to new acts of self sacrifice to the greater glory of the Imperium. Thus, the people of Venus are taught to love the Emperor and his emissaries, the Ultra Templars, and that the highest calling is to be called to become a member of the vaunted chapter.

The Ultra Templars have learned through their voyages that the Imperium must change its ways and attitude towards the galaxy in order to survive the Cataclysmic struggle that will destroy all that the Emperor and the Great Crusade stood for. So they continue to work to inspire their traitorous kin to return to the Emperor and seek his forgiveness for their sin. This has worked to a greater or lesser extent as the traitor primarchs Horus, Lorgar, and the Nighthaunter have been convinced of the error of their revolt against the Emperor and have begged the Ultra Templars to intercede on their behalf. With time, the Emperor will forgive them and welcome them back, but only with the help and guidance of the Ultra Templars. This convinced the Ultra Templars that only they know the true way of the Emperor and they are guided by his inspiration to convince all their Astartes brothers to give up their rivalries and return to a new golden age of enlightenment and expansion within the Imperium.

In battle, the Ultra Templars continue to follow the guidance and teachings of their Primarch. Having returned to the Imperial fold, the Ultra Templars were shocked that the Ultramarines and other progeny of Guilliman would eschew his tactics and teachings, forming instead into new organizations and over specializing in single forms of warfare. The Ultra Templars are thoroughly convinced that they stand as the true heirs to Guilliman’s legacy, following his codex to the letter and excluding extensive veteran formations in favor of retaining the single veteran company the codex allows.

Geneseed

Needs more. Poorly written placeholder

The Ultra Templars are of Ultramarine geneseed, relegated to the Second Founding upon their return to the Imperium after millennia lost in the warp.

Battlecry

The Ultra Templars have the longest recorded battle cry of any military force of the Imperium. Many have asked about its length only to receive a lecture on the meaning of the battle cry itself. The Ultra Templars' battle cry is more like a serenade to humanity and the Ultra Templars' kin.

Of Garyld Stewvart, Chapter Master of the Ultra Templars

The early years of Garyld Stewvart in the Ultra Templars chapter remain a shining example of prowess and fortitude to be emulated by all newly risen scouts and battle brothers. From his legendary three day battle with an elder autarch of Beil-Tan, to his single combat subduing of a hive tyrant as a scout using only his chainsword, Garyld Stewvart proved time and again his perfection of the combat arts. It was no surprise to any of the Ultra Templars that shortly after becoming a full battle brother he was elevated to sergeant and given a squad to lead; and lead he did.

Not five years after entering the second company, Stewvart was inducted as its newest captain. His comrades and brothers in arms all knew that Stewvart was the leader they needed, cheering his rise and meeting his promotions with thunderous applause. Then the word came of the need for all loyal members of the Ultramarines legion to hasten quickly to the defense of Terra, the Heresy had struck. Unfortunately for the Ultra Templars, they did not reach the battle, instead appearing millennia later and light years from their intended destination. After appraising the situation and seeing a number of Ultramarine ships surrounded and being pounded by warped hulks of familiar vessels, Stewvart entered the frenzied fray, clearing a path to safety with his lone strike cruiser.

It was several years later that the Chapter Master of the Ultra Templars was killed by a Xenos blade that the chapter leadership identified Stewvart as the only possible successor. So then Captain Garyld Stewvart, with only a fist full of years as a commander, was named Chapter Master of the Ultra Templars. His powerful prowess and brilliant leadership proving time and again since his ascension that he is the most perfect leader of the preeminent chapter of the Adeptus Astartes, inspiring admiration from all who meet him.

I will start on geneseed soon I think, so we can maybe rekindle this thread. Stuff left to do is: Gene-seed, and refining the Doctrine section.

Cheers guys :D

Wow. this is what I get for having to sneek off and deal with a midterm and 2 finals...Looks like i have some reading to do..

Asmodeus: Thanks much for revamping the draft there, think it is starting to pull together some.

All: I think we have Mary Sue down pat in this...I also think we have elements of a Motherhood statement going on as well. There is a whole lot of Kitchen Sink-ism going on in here, some good some not do good. Remember the point of this thread is to generate a chapter that is well written enough to be fun to read...but SO BAD from what we are used to trying for that it is painful to the point of being funny...this does not mean intentional comedy (ie Captain Flowers saves the teddy bear), but fluffy funny within the 40k perspective (ie ...)

I think we are drifting between trying to write a standard DIY chapter and one that violates all the rules, unfortunately this is my fault as I keep trying to improve the flow. It is hard to break from the mindset of creating good fluff to creating unfluffy organizations and situations. Still...i think we are capturing most of it...I will see what else i can do once the tests are done.

Archived