Scythes of the Emperor Paint-A-Thon

Alpha PTP

Dude!!! That is totally Chuck Norris!!! Great job, of course, on the yellow. By the way...did you ever finish that Chaplain from some time ago?

That Chaplain is going to be in this army rather than the All Hallows Guard. The army was from 2004-2007, and as you can see, I have gotten a lot better. The Chaplain deserves to be with this army, in my eyes. Thanks, by the way. :lol:

@risK: Thanks for the battle damage tips and ideas. I really want to avoid battle damage. I just want some crisp marines like my test miniature. And so it would seem. Thanks for pointing that out, mate. :D

@Midian: The black is so complicated and involves glazing and some really advanced painting techniques. I'll try my best to explain. Also, make sure you feather each layer. You can't just apply a line of the color, but a shade, if you will.

• Basecoat of 4:1 Black to Cold Grey (Vallejo Game Color)
    Add small amount of Cold Grey to the mixture, then highlight.
    Keep highlighting like this till it gets up to about a 1:1 ratio of Black to Cold Grey.
    Take a small amount of the basecoat color, add lots of water to it to make it to about a dirty paint-water thickness.
    Dab paint brush in the glaze, but wipe off most of the watered down paint off.
    Paint over most of the area, shading downwards. (Away from the final highlight.)

@THE FATED FITH: Industrial base seems to be the general consensus. Keep watching. I'll have another update tomorrow. :D

@wargamingbunker: Yellow is one of my strong colors, actually. Purple and White seem to be my difficult colors.

There will be another update tomorrow or the day after. I have to work on my lines for the play at my school. I want to paint, but I need to do this.

New update. Not much painting done. I have been so drained lately. It won't last for much longer, though. I am just sick of waking up at 7 am for school and then getting home at 6 pm because of play practice. When I am done next Saturday, painting will be on a normal schedule. Anywho, here is the painting update on the plasma gunner.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/SotE1-1-1.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/SotE1-2-1.jpg

Here are some basic conversions I have started for my three tactical squad sergeants. Here they are; Romulus, Remus, and Nero.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/SotERomulus-1.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/SotERemus-1.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/SotENero-1.jpg

Really cool

Any more roman refrences? :D

Can't wait to see these guys in your yellow and grey/black that looks awesome

I just like themes in my squad leaders. All of the sergeants in my other marine army are named after synonyms of fear, but are made to sound like names. Phobius, Neurosia, Panic, Fearus, ect. :P

I am looking forward to painting the limited edition marine that is walking. I have been wanting to paint him for years, I just didn't know how I was going to do it till now.

I have not forgotten about this thread, brothers. I have been so busy with the school play I am in and I have not had time for painting in a week. Come this Saturday, when I am done with the play, I can start painting again. I am getting sick and tired of waking up at 7 am and getting home at 8 pm. I have spent the last week doing that at school. It is just mentally draining me so much. D:

I also decided to use this as part of my Scythes of the Emperor force. I might even try and enter it into Golden Daemon, or something.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/RomulusFinished1.jpg

Also, I am going to throw him into the army as well. He is going to go in the Crusader with the other Terminators I have planned.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/GallowsFinished1.jpg

Enjoy.

I love the dread and the chaplain is awesome. I know what you mean about school taking it out of you I'm usually not done with Homework (due to Tae-Kwon-Do, Boy Scouts, and School Activities) until 9:30 (and waking up at 6:30 :) )

Paint em up. Also can you show a detail of the shoulder pad decoration, PLEASE.

Brother Vespasian

I am getting sick and tired of waking up at 7 am and getting home at 8 pm.

oh i remember those days in the theatre, amazing how that energy seems to fill the air on opening night though, eh? :D

for the life of me i cannot remember what the name of that BT model is in the third sergeant wip, can you enlighten me?

Yay you remembered :)

Nice looking Dread. Can't wait to see him done. And that Chappy is pure win.

The only thing I could think of adding is a dead Hive tyrint on the base.

No rush, you keep on acting, But come Saturday and if there are no updates...

Oh Bytheway what's the play?

Yay you remembered :D

Nice looking Dread. Can't wait to see him done. And that Chappy is pure win.

The only thing I could think of adding is a dead Hive tyrint on the base.

No rush, you keep on acting, But come Saturday and if there are no updates...

Oh Bytheway what's the play?

Thanks. I get that a lot with the Chaplain and Dread. ;) I HATE dead things on bases. It looks tacky. I am Johnathan in Arsenic and Old Lace. I am just so stressed because of this damn play. I cannot wait to finish. I am going to be busy all Saturday too. I'll wake up at 8 am to get to Improv Class, then at 1 pm go to my hobby shop to say hi then leave, go over to the school and finish the set, then make curtain call at 6 pm and I won't get home till 10 pm.

@The_Chaplain: Oh, I love acting in front of everyone, but I have just put so much into this play that I hope I get the same out of it. I won't be doing the winter and spring plays. I just have too much to do now. I need this painting time. I hate it when I don't paint. :lol:

@LunchBox: I am hoping for well painted, well converted, and a different color scheme. I really want to win some more awards. :D

I am Johnathan in Arsenic and Old Lace.

That's a good show, and a phenomenal role.

@The_Chaplain: Oh, I love acting in front of everyone, but I have just put so much into this play that I hope I get the same out of it. I won't be doing the winter and spring plays. I just have too much to do now. I need this painting time. I hate it when I don't paint. laugh.gif

I hear ya, I logged in over 2,000 hours in my high school theatre department outside of class, and wound up as the assistant teacher my senior year. Those tech days are brutal LOL.

My only concern is the dread at this point, it seems to me like the front plates are a little under adorned, maybe a purity seal or two would fix that I don't know.

Best of luck alpha! looking forward to more pics.

Glad to see your not letting this die! :)

I hear you on the being busy thing. I go to class at 8:30 AM till 1:00 PM then go straight to work and work from 1:30 PM to 10:00 PM Monday through Friday!

But on the plus side, I'm banking right now which means I can fund more fun projects! :P

I am going to paint this bloody army, MCA. I promise you that. :D I have been just working my tail off on the play for the past two weeks. I have been working on the set, memorizing my lines, helping other people memorize their lines, and helping out with props. Tonight is opening night, so I'll be at school till about 9 or 10 pm today and tomorrow. Sunday is really the only day I have to myself right now, but that will change next week. My Thanksgiving break is coming up, so I am probably going to be posting a bunch of updates. I have Wednesday through Friday off, then the weekend. Five days of painting. :)

@Frost Knight: Remus, the second veteran sergeant you mentioned, has some work to be done to him, obviously. I am going to fix up the helm when I get the chance. It needs some green stuff around the part where it attaches to the base. I need to make it look like it blends into the helmet more. Oh, the Dire Avengers box? Sadly, I can't do that. GW stopped selling bits, and I don't have a credit card to order bits from The War Store/Battle Wagon Bits. And yes, of course I'll share my blue with you. :D

You have to create a light source for the gems, ect if you want to make them shiny. Look at the gem on his belt for an example of this.

Gems/Pipes/and Eyes Blue:

• Cover the desired area in grey. I use Stone Grey from VGC (Vallejo Game Color)
  • Paint a nice even coat of Imperial Blue (VGC), or you could use Regal Blue. They are nearly the same.
  • Highlight with Enchanted Blue (VGC... I think that is the name), but it looks the same as Enchanted Blue in the GW line.
  • Do a thin wash of Azurman Blue. It is a new wash from GW.
  • Do a final highlight of Lightning Blue (VGC) or Ice Blue from GW.
  • Then, paint a white dot in the corner.

That's a good show, and a phenomenal role.

I'm 6'4", so I think I fit the part pretty well. I'm very intimidating in person, but I am like a teddy bear on the inside. :lol:

I hear ya, I logged in over 2,000 hours in my high school theatre department outside of class, and wound up as the assistant teacher my senior year. Those tech days are brutal LOL.

I love acting, but screw that. I'm so thankful I didn't work on lights, but I did end up painting and building most of the set. Oh, and I collected and made props. I might make some GS purity seals and throw them on there. It is either that, or I am going to paint some cool looking freehand. I'm not sure at this point. I am not thinking that far ahead.

There will be updates on either Sunday (I want to party till I puke because this damn play will be over.) or Wednesday (I have a ton of school work to cram in. :HQ: ) So, it will most likely end up being Wednesday before you guys see another update. I am slowly converting another dread in the spare 15 minutes I have to myself, but I want to get back to painting. He'll be put on the back burner.

"Error: There are too many emoticons in this post than the board allows."

...Wow.

Archived