Ultramarine Captain

Gareque

This WIP still has a couple of bits and pieces to iron out/finish painting.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9814/hpim0380yg7.jpg

Been working on him for the last few days and am very happy with him so far.

Many may see, I started with the Games Day miniature, gave him a more dynamic base/pose and added a cloak. The cloak is my first attempt at using greenstuff, bar filling out gaps of course ;).

Also, the armour is my first attempt at blending, so I am very pleased with that.

However, as ever to learn more and improve, critique is always welcome and indeed, much appreciated.

Thanks

Gareque

I think he looks pretty good so far. Alot of promise there. The metalics on the TH are nice and clean. Its a nice looking blue. The shading is a bit choppy and wip still but it looks like you know what to do. I'd like to get a look at the back. B)

++edit: do you have a unpainted pic of him? I'd like to check out your conversion work.

metallics require high contrast(big difference between light and dark) and fast contrast(moves from light to dark quickly), this is what makes them "shine"

blending is alright, the initial basecoat colours look a little heavy though, you will know this when the paint dries more plasticky rather than matte...when it dries more matte its a good consistency

next, try to use more colour when highlighting/shading...instead of going Blue...brighter blue(or adding white) darker blue...maybe try, Blue, add flesh colour to brighten, add red to shadow....also try to keep a colour palette..instead of bringing in new colours use what you already have, so maybe use that blu+red shadow mix to then shadow the green laurels, or the red straps...and then carry this into your base as well...think of a base as part of a figure

next avoid using too many bright primary/secondary colours, like blue, red yellow and green, all bright and colourful...it creates a garish effect...so you can mix colours and tone done the red, or the blue, or the yellow or all of them, or whatever, just so you dont have so many colours fighting for attention

and lastly i suggest in the future using milliput+GS to make a cloak, it lets you carve and sand when dried, for a smoother finish, and sharper edges...it is much nicer than a GS cloak :lol:

theres many things you can do to improve, many things i and others can do as well, so hopefully this helps get you started :P

Alex

Archived