Can powerfists be turned off?

Pistorius

Even if he has a bolt pistol in addition to his power fist, the rules in the BBB say that all of your attacks use the special rules of the special weapon. Bolt pistols do not have special CCW rules, so he must use the power fist in CC, no matter what.

Pg35

"All engaged models will fight in this turn's assault phase with their full number of attacks and use any special close combat attack they have."

Pg42

Normal close combat weapons

"Weapons like chainswords, rifle butts, combat blades, etc., do not confer any particular bonus to the model using them. Remeber that, in close combat, pistols count as normal close combat weapons"

Pg42

Special close combat weapons

"the most widely used are listed below:"

"power weapons...lighting claws...force weapons...poisoned weapons...power fists...thunder hammers...rending weapons..witchblades"

Pretty sure those are all the relevant rules to this discussion. No turning off power fists, sorry guys. This makes me sad though seeing as I play deathwing.

This makes me sad though seeing as I play deathwing.

I agree Droma, it was useful sometimes striking at Init rather than waiting to be hit first... oh well.

Ultimately i always thought i powerfist was slow because it was a huge metal fist, turning it off doesn't make it any less big and metal.

I think this is the best answer yet to silence the dudes who think it can be switched off.

Switched off? And then what?

Still slow big hand...

Ultimately i always thought i powerfist was slow because it was a huge metal fist, turning it off doesn't make it any less big and metal.

I think this is the best answer yet to silence the dudes who think it can be switched off.

Still slow big hand...

The point is that they are then not attacking with the fist, but with the other hands weapon, be it Chainsword or Boltpistol or what have you.

Still slow big hand...

The point is that they are then not attacking with the fist, but with the other hands weapon, be it Chainsword or Boltpistol or what have you.

They still can't do that by RAW though.

Still slow big hand...

I am aware of that, just refuting that turning off powerfists didn't mean hitting it's off switch^^

Still slow big hand...

I am aware of that, just refuting that turning off powerfists didn't mean hitting it's off switch^^

Oh, sorry. My mistake :D

Still slow big hand...

If so, then the topictitle is wrong. :)

Still slow big hand...

If so, then the topictitle is wrong. :)

It doesn't say it's literal anywhere.

Also this quote needs a diet. Its gonna get diabetes or something.

I believe at one point though the speed of a powerfist was actually because it was NOT on all the time, you had to activate it and then use it, so you took an initiative hit. Or so it was explained to me when I started 2nd ed.

I think as a rules question for 5th edition it's been answered :lol:. The fluff-reasoning stuff can be discussed somewhere else please.

Cheers

I

just a quick thought, if the initiative is reduced by a powerfist because of its size and unwieldyness. then how about the lightningclaws which are essentially powerfists with a few blades attached to it. And they look stupid.

just a quick thought, if the initiative is reduced by a powerfist because of its size and unwieldyness. then how about the lightningclaws which are essentially powerfists with a few blades attached to it. And they look stupid.

LCs are only modeled like PFs - they have nothing in common other than the attack bonus rules and ignoring armour saves.

Claws slash, fists crush*. Crushing takes longer. But as our esteemed mod nighthawks says, that's fluff not rules.

*This is my belief and makes sense, GW have never actually said one way or the other.

That is something I never thought about, I always imagined powerfists punching really hard in great arcs and took time to swing it.

@nighthawks: That's, in my opinion, the weird thing about them. They are modelled similar to each other. I always found them to big to be 'lightning'.

I know this is reaaaaaly off-topic, so I'll let it rest.

Archived