Guardians Of The Covenant Test

El-Diablo

After realising that I need to paint something other than bright red, thoughts turned to a army that I could speed paint but still keep to a good standard. After much consideration and pouring over bits boxes I came up with around 30 plastic Dark Angel robed bodies. With a few metals and extra plastics kindly donated by Commissar Molotov, i've got enough marines to fill out around 1500 points.

The next hurdle was working out how to paint them. I don't want to spend much time on the army as a whole so I needed something quick. The recent rising of Guardians Of The Covenant armies swung me in the end - a quick basecoat/drybrush/wash to get a nice looking armour, while the robe (yes I know it's patchy) is a basecoat and 3 layers of wash.

Total brush to figure time was around 2 hours.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/GotC/Test1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/GotC/Test2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/GotC/Test3.jpg

Well that's pretty much just sealed the deal on what do to with all the Dark Angels I never got round to painting! I was leaning towards some Guardians and seeing this model and how long it took has done the trick :P Could you break down how each part was done, especially the gold as I have trouble getting a nice gold colour? I know they're going to be relatively simple, but it never hurts to know

Kobrakei

You may be one of the only people who can make just plain drybrishing and washes look excellent, Kudos to you on that! I think it's just great that you can crank out such a great mini in that amount of time! :P

Cheers!

I think the model came out great. The metals are handled expertly. The red on the robe came out nice as well. I think my only critique is that the bolter needs just a little bit more of a highlight because its being out weighed by the metalics just a little too much.

Great Job :)

Thanks Toddius. I think the photo washed out the highlights on the bolter, it's got the same 2 level grey highlights as the shoulder pads. Could be worth adding an extra step just to make sure. Cheers for the heads up.

Well that's pretty much just sealed the deal on what do to with all the Dark Angels I never got round to painting! I was leaning towards some Guardians and seeing this model and how long it took has done the trick :P Could you break down how each part was done, especially the gold as I have trouble getting a nice gold colour? I know they're going to be relatively simple, but it never hurts to know

Kobrakei

No problem.

Armour/Bolter

-basecoat boltgun metal,

-layer chainmail on the bolter, drybrush chaimmail on the armour.

-edge highlight the bolter with mithril silver (just the bolter though)

-wash the metals with badab black.

Robe

-basecoat with mechrite red.

-wash first with baal red, then a layer of devlan mud, then another layer of baal red.

Gold

-basecoat shining gold.

-add mithril silver to shining gold for multiple highlight stages upto pure mithril silver,

-wash with devlan mud. You might need to add a second coat in the deepest recesses.

If you need anymore info let me know.

I've been waiting to see this. :P Sorry I didn't reply to your PM earlier, I've been messing around with a certain green tide... :)

This looks better than I'd hoped, especially given you playing it down. As an army these'll look fantastic. I can't wait to see what you make of Mordecai now - the robes and armour will give a really unique look to that figure. :P

I've been waiting to see this. :P Sorry I didn't reply to your PM earlier, I've been messing around with a certain green tide... :)

This looks better than I'd hoped, especially given you playing it down. As an army these'll look fantastic. I can't wait to see what you make of Mordecai now - the robes and armour will give a really unique look to that figure. :P

Looking forward to gunning down those Orks at some point.

I've not got very far with Mordecai yet, though he may end up being a lefty.....

I've not got very far with Mordecai yet, though he may end up being a lefty.....

It'll happen!

I figured Mordecai would be a lefty, especially if you're using Azrael's combi-plasma.

I'll get that Asmodai sent to you some time before the new year probably.

Also, the patchiness in the robes actually works - it emphasises that it's fabric, makes it look as though the dye process wasn't totally effective, etc, etc. It doesn't ruin the model, so it's all good. Good freehand too, by the way.

:) two hours, wow, I love the patchy effect on the robe actually, it looks realistic. The Guardians of the covenant has always struck a chord with me, it's great that you do justice to them, but 30 marines out of bitz boxes? :o must have been a lot of bitz boxes you searched. :P anyway. I see you like the more metallic gold, I cut a lot of time off my gold by just washing it with brown ink, and it highlights itself that way :)

Very nice work, as always.

Looking forward to seeing more of them, even if I'm a little saddened by the hiatus from the Sword Bearers (if i'm reading that first post correctly).

Always love looking at the stuff you paint. It's inspiring. I'll someday start painting again, and it will be largely based on my watching your threads.

Really looks awesome. I am starting a layered red marine army myself and a part of my soul screams to do something faster. Now I'm even more split. Are the washes straight or do you mix in some water or glaze medium?

It was already said, but this is incredible for a speed painted mini.

...Two hours is QUICK?

That's amazing, really. The wash is evenly distributed, which is always good. The bolter does need highlighting, I would say.

Can't wait to see more!

There'll be more soon enough, got a couple of other projects on first though. The bolter is highlighted, the pic decided to wash it out.

It'll happen!

I figured Mordecai would be a lefty, especially if you're using Azrael's combi-plasma.

I'll get that Asmodai sent to you some time before the new year probably.

Also, the patchiness in the robes actually works - it emphasises that it's fabric, makes it look as though the dye process wasn't totally effective, etc, etc. It doesn't ruin the model, so it's all good. Good freehand too, by the way.

Ta!

The freehand was something I was worrying about. Not looking forward to doing it 40+ times though.

I wasn't too happy with the robe at first, but now its all done its growing on me. For a speed/batch painted army it I think it looks ok.

Very nice work, as always.

Looking forward to seeing more of them, even if I'm a little saddened by the hiatus from the Sword Bearers (if i'm reading that first post correctly).

Always love looking at the stuff you paint. It's inspiring. I'll someday start painting again, and it will be largely based on my watching your threads.

Thanks, though don't worry too much about the Sword Bearers, i've got a landy and some terminators to do before the Guardians get started proper. Hopefully they won't take too long to do so I can get back to the 'Bearers.

10 out of 10 batch painting to that quality will make your force stand out

Awesome mini matey, really looks good. I see the B&C is turning into GoTC board. B)

Cheers.

Really looks awesome. I am starting a layered red marine army myself and a part of my soul screams to do something faster. Now I'm even more split. Are the washes straight or do you mix in some water or glaze medium?

It was already said, but this is incredible for a speed painted mini.

The washes on the robes are straight out of the pot. I like a lot of dark shading on my marine stuff, the new washes are great for doing just about anything.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very nice mini for 2 hours work.

While Im saying this Im pretty sure you already know this: When you have to paint a lot of minis in such a way I surgest you batch-paint them. Meaning you take 3 maybe 4 at a time and paint on one color at a time on all of them. This speeds up the proces quite a bit, while if you keep concentrating, keep the stadard good. The hard part is to keep concentrating as the more you do this the more borring it becomes.

This will take some sittings(2 maybe 3) to finish them but when you're done with them all at once its just so much more satisfiring!

Also midian....i forgot to ask in my last post ;)

what technique/pattern breakdown do you use for the crossed swords symbol?

i freehanded one on one of my scout models but it was a pain in the :) ,so if you have any tips or tricks to make it easier i would appreciate any help...

Cheers Mithril.

Dat's a very impressive speed-paint !

Congrats !!!

I think that shoulderpads would look better if it had no metal but a black "circling" (hmmm is that a word ?) , but that's just my point of vue. Ack, how can be people be so gifted for speed ? That's unfair !

(Thx for recipe btw ;) )

DS

Archived