Guardians Of The Covenant Test

El-Diablo

Also midian....i forgot to ask in my last post :)

what technique/pattern breakdown do you use for the crossed swords symbol?

i freehanded one on one of my scout models but it was a pain in the :) ,so if you have any tips or tricks to make it easier i would appreciate any help...

Cheers Mithril.

The crossed swords were pretty simple to do after I got over the initial thought of 'I really don't want to freehand 30+ pairs of crossed swords'. It's a hard one to explain but i'll work up a diagram later tonight and get it posted.

I've got a bit more that I want to do for my Sword Bearers before I get fully into the Guardians so sadly no set start date for the army yet.

Thanks to everyone who has commented.

The crossed swords were pretty simple to do after I got over the initial thought of 'I really don't want to freehand 30+ pairs of crossed swords'. It's a hard one to explain but i'll work up a diagram later tonight and get it posted.

cheers Midian,i verily look forward to the diagram...you may just save my hair from being pulled out :P

Mithril

p.s. the base you have him on...where is it from?

cheers Midian,i verily look forward to the diagram...you may just save my hair from being pulled out ;)

Mithril

p.s. the base you have him on...where is it from?

If I don't get the diagram up tonight, it will be tomorrow as i've got a day off work.

The base was from my plasticard pile. I glued a load of uniform squares to a regular base, rounded the edges and distressed the sharp edges. Im not a big fan of resin bases, but I do like the results. Net time I do one i'll do a tutorial.

After realising that I need to paint something other than bright red,

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/GotC/Test1.jpg

Looks plenty red to me :) ;) though obviously not that bright of a red.

consider your base technique scooped for my white scars

That's a great painjob fullstop!!! never mind the fact it's supposed to be speed painted.

The red looks just like the red I've always wanted to be able to paint for my 54mm =][= figures,

I may have missed it already in the thread, but could you say what paints and washes (brands and colours) you used?

Armour/Bolter

-basecoat boltgun metal,

-layer chainmail on the bolter, drybrush chaimmail on the armour.

-edge highlight the bolter with mithril silver (just the bolter though)

-wash the metals with badab black.

Robe

-basecoat with mechrite red.

-wash first with baal red, then a layer of devlan mud, then another layer of baal red.

Gold

-basecoat shining gold.

-add mithril silver to shining gold for multiple highlight stages upto pure mithril silver,

-wash with devlan mud. You might need to add a second coat in the deepest recesses.

If you need anymore info let me know.

Heya Midian,

Sorry to bother a busy man but any news on the diagram of the crossed swords....

:) please

Mithril

Sorry chap i've been up to my nuts in work recently. I've got a big bit of paper with 'sword diagram' written on it next to my monitor so it will get my attention first thing tomorrow. I'll pm you when it's done.

Thanks for that,

again so sorry for bothering you :D

Cheers Mithril

No worries mate, I should of pulled my finger out by now. I found a little MSpaint mojo left in me tonight so I whipped it up. With the directions it should be pretty self explanatory.

1 - Paint 2 thin lines of white crossed at roughly the center.

2 - Paint 2 thin lines at the top of each of the prevous lines for the crossguard.

3 - Add the blade outline in white, slightly wider at the point than where it meets the hilt.

4 - Thicken the crossguard/hilt lines.

5 - Mark out small squares on the crossguard and pommel.

6 - Fill everything in.

Once all that's done go back and tidy up any stray lines with black. As long as you keep the white thinned down you shouldn't have too many problems. Also, don't worry too much about the crossguards touching. The ones on the test did but they came out ok in the end.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/GotC/CrossedSwordDiagram.jpg

• 1 month later...
...Two hours is QUICK?

Yeah, ask Lunchbox how long he spends on one marine (I believe that it is the neighborhood of 25-30 hours) and 2 seems pretty darn snappy.

@Midian: Looking really good! At this rate you'll have an entire army painted in no time! Keep up the great work

Archived