Daemon Prince of Chaos

Redleg

Hello...I recently picked up the Chaos Daemons Codex and had some questions about the upgrades for the Daemon Prince of Chaos (DPoC) under 5th Edition Rules. I'm trying to avoid fielding one with upgrades only to be told I understood the combinations wrong. Note...I have never played 4th Edition 40k

The Codex states the DPoC is a monstrous creature. According to the BRB, this means his wounds in close combat ignore armour saves, like a power weapon, and he may shoot two of his weapons once during the shooting phase.

So if I upgrade my Tzeentch loving DPoC with Master of Sorcery, can he potentially attack with 3 weapons per turn?

If I upgrade him with Soul Devourer, I'm essentially only paying for the potential to cause Instant Death right? Since the part of Soul Devourer that states "The Daemon Prince counts as armed with a power weapon" is redundant because all Monstrous Creatures ignore armour saves.

Thanks

Hello...I recently picked up the Chaos Daemons Codex and had some questions about the upgrades for the Daemon Prince of Chaos (DPoC) under 5th Edition Rules. I'm trying to avoid fielding one with upgrades only to be told I understood the combinations wrong. Note...I have never played 4th Edition 40k

The Codex states the DPoC is a monstrous creature. According to the BRB, this means his wounds in close combat ignore armour saves, like a power weapon, and he may shoot two of his weapons once during the shooting phase.

So if I upgrade my Tzeentch loving DPoC with Master of Sorcery, can he potentially attack with 3 weapons per turn?

If I upgrade him with Soul Devourer, I'm essentially only paying for the potential to cause Instant Death right? Since the part of Soul Devourer that states "The Daemon Prince counts as armed with a power weapon" is redundant because all Monstrous Creatures ignore armour saves.

Thanks

True on both accounts, the power weapon part is for when the heralds take it :)

You are correct, you pay to use 3 weapons a turn (although the chances of actually getting to do that are quite slim, and not really worth the points), and the power weapon part is for the heralds, as souchan said. It was the same in 4th, but since you never played it you wouldn't have known that....

Would it really not come up that often? I'm trying to imagine a scenario where I keep rolling 7 dice between Warpfire, Bolts of Tzeentch, and Daemonic Gaze. Not sure the grand total on points or the opportunity cost. But it sure seems fun to roll that many dice from one character per turn at range.

It doesn't come up very often because the only 3 real ranged weapons are bolt, breath and gaze, bolt and gaze have a decent range, but breath is purely used before a charge (unless you're a flamer but that's different), and if you are charging with a dedicated fire support prince like that, something's gone wrong, very, very wrong. I'm not saying it never happens, but it shouldn't happen too often. Oh, and princes can't get warpfire, the most dice you'll roll is 4.

I don't count boon as a weapon ;) But you're right, it would be 5 dice max.

I am a lover of semantics(you can blame my friend Evert for that, he's done it it to me so often I now do the same to everyone else in revenge!)

Well that and I'm a jerk^^

• 2 weeks later...
As you didn't play 4th it can be worth to mention that this Codex was written with 5th edition in mind (it was released only one or two months before the 5th edition). GW even went as far as using Defensive Grenades in the Codex without a further description, which didn't exist as a term in 4th edition. So your Codex work very well for playing with the 5th edition.

• 4 months later...

Threadjack with a related MC/Daemon gift question.

Does an MC with Wings (DP, Bloodthister, LoC) ignore difficult terrain tests when landing/taking off by virtue of being an MC and the "Move through cover" rule? I'm going to say no, since that rule only applies to the distance traveled roll. However, for fluff and sensibility reasons I could see justifying a re-roll for difficult terrain tests, does any such rule exist?

Archived