I Fail at Faces

OwenCrute

Here are my tips for face painting;

- Do not undercoat the face with black or white. Start with the base skin tone instead.

- Build up in watered down paint layers.

- Before painting anything on the face, paint the eyes first. Correcting the eyes is often why you get lumpy looking faces.

- PRO TIP: Paint the eye black and then add the white bits in such a way that black is left in the middle, this being the pupil. This method of painting the eye often has neater results and gives you a lot more brush control when it comes to pupil placement.

A face done using my techniques:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/Terrible_Trygon/Red%20Shirts/DSCF0664.jpg

I would not go this pale skin tone wise though. The northern hemisphere of my Guard regiment's homeworld is a snowy wasteland, often hidden from sunlight by storm clouds, which means all the citizens that were born there often have pale skin. For most normal human skin tones, go for slightly darker tones then this. Also remember to keep it neutral with lips. It is about darking your skin tone colour slightly. Going too dark will make it look like lip stick, which is completely out of place on the battle field.

I'm basically fine with faces now. I'm no very good, but I don't suck quite so bad. Tallarn Flesh and Gryphonne Sepia are my friends, and they turn out fine (see sarge's head)

I must say, them photos don't quite do them justice- They aren't that great, but they're better than in the photos. I might try to get some better ones when I'm at my brother's house again this afternoon. Mayb e an army shot with the rest of my Hunters?

My two cents :) :

What I usually do is 'base'paint the face with Dwarf Flesh, then add a layer of Devlan Mud. It gives depth and the gritty look of combat worn flesh (soot, dirt etc). Then I handpaint the rest with Skull white (eyes & teeth, if need be) using a very very small brush and add pupils with same brush using chaos black or some similar dark color that's less runny (Dark Angels Green or Ultramarine Blue for instance).

Archived