Special weapons on bikes

tedwin183

Couple of bike questions for my (planned) Captain:

1) Thunder hammer in one hand, pistol in the other, does he still get +1 attack bonus(ie can he steer with his knees :) )?

2) One dangerous terrain test will cost me 190pts (Art arm, Hellfire); I would expect a Captain to have Skilled Rider, but there's no option. Is there a way of acquiring this, or is it a xenos thing?

3) Anyone got any models to show for a bike HQ? I'm going to use a Ramshackle Games long-forked scambler, fancy a head thrown back, swinging hammer wide pose!

bt2278 is correct on that count. But the generalized version of your question asks, "If I have a pistol and close combat weapon on a bike, can I gain +1 Attack?"

The answer to that question is yes. I have thoroughly looked at the BBB (BRB now?) and the SM Codex and there is no rule that says that if a model has 2 close combat weapons and a bike that he cannot have the bonus attack. The only thing that keeps the Bike Squad from this is their weapon kit: They have bolt pistols only. Their weapon options REPLACE the bolt pistol. There is no option for anything else. So you can't give the Sarge a Plasma Pistol and a Power Weapon and gain +1 attack because can only replace the bolt pistol once. Your captain clearly has a bolt pistol and combat weapon and then has the OPTION of adding a bike to his total kit, which says nothing about reducing his held weapons.

A side note to this is that I doubt I will be taking a Power Weapon on a Bike Squad. I lose out on the usual advantage of the Weapon over the Fist: +1 attack. If I am using base attacks anyway, why not give it S8?

Edit: To answer question 2: BBB, page 47. All independent characters have the "move through cover" and "skilled rider" rules. In addition, any failed dangerous terrain test only causes a single wound. This applies to all dangerous terrain tests, so your attack bike doesn't necessarily die on a failed terrain test either.

ObsidianIchor beat me to the punch on most of the rules stuff (well said!), but I wanted to add two things from experience:

For a captain, don't use a fist. The extra points for the thunder hammer are worth it. You want to be able to ding up vehicles, and if you are in combat with something T5 or greater or with Eternal Warrior, reducing them to striking simultaneously with you after the first round is very valuable. I wouldn't advocate just a fist; go with a hammer.

And likewise, if you want to spend the points, a storm shield is definitely a good match with it, though the captain already has a 4++ save to begin with...

2) One dangerous terrain test will cost me 190pts (Art arm, Hellfire); I would expect a Captain to have Skilled Rider, but there's no option. Is there a way of acquiring this, or is it a xenos thing?

A) Read the section on IC in the rule book they get Skilled Rider automatically

B ) A Failed Dangerous terrain test will only result in a single wound not dead HQ

C) You can still take Invunerable save against it if you do roll snake eyes!

Archived