WIP Dark Angels

Vigilus

Well firstly hello, 1st post and all :wacko:

Been out of the hobby for about 7 yrs (left around 3rd edition i think?) and decided to get back into it. Want to get a 1500/2000 DA force together just to get some gameplay back in before concentrating on my Eldar, so started with the Assault on Black Reach box set, simply for the rules and a good base to start for a marines army.

I Wanted to start this thread to keep track of my work as i go and to welcome healthy C&C's.

anyway 1st up:

1st half of tactical squad including Sargeant (these are complete minus transfers and a coat of purity seal)

gallery_42821_3175_109775.jpg

gallery_42821_3175_19797.jpg

gallery_42821_3175_20308.jpg

Then my Dreadnought that is still WIP but very nearly complete:

gallery_42821_3175_56068.jpg

gallery_42821_3175_39123.jpg

gallery_42821_3175_77252.jpg

gallery_42821_3175_86412.jpg

Welcome to the Bolter and Chainsword, Vigilus!

You may well have been out of the 40k Hobby, but your painting is remarkable for somebody that's been away for seven years. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress with the Assault on Black Reach Box, but more importantly, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do after that.

Do you have any Ravenwing or Deathwing planned? Even better, include both the Master of the Ravenwing and Belial, so all your RW Bikes and DW Terminators count as Troops! Don't mean to talk down to you, but incase you didn't know, Troops are one of the most important aspects of any army in the Fifth Edition.

nice and clean green you've got there! The sargeants face looks a little odd though: It appears that the cheeks and jaw have an extra highlight layer on them than the forehead. Another layer of light flesh on the forehead would fix him up a treat! The dread looks great, i'm liking the pale bone/white colour on the scroll and wings. Which colours did you use for this?

Al

Welcome to the Bolter and Chainsword, Vigilus!

You may well have been out of the 40k Hobby, but your painting is remarkable for somebody that's been away for seven years. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress with the Assault on Black Reach Box, but more importantly, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do after that.

Do you have any Ravenwing or Deathwing planned? Even better, include both the Master of the Ravenwing and Belial, so all your RW Bikes and DW Terminators count as Troops! Don't mean to talk down to you, but incase you didn't know, Troops are one of the most important aspects of any army in the Fifth Edition.

Cheers for the comments, I too was surprised how quickly my painting skills came back to me even after all this time. All these models are black reach models and so I only have the remaining 5 tactical marines, captain and the terminators ( i also have the DA upgrade box) so when I do the Deathwing then i'll be using the assault cannon from that to DA them up a bit. Once the black reach models are done I have another Deathwing squad lined up (CC), another tactical squad, 10 scouts with sniper rifles, Belial conversion and lastly the Ravenwing attack squad. this should set up for around 2000 pts.

nice and clean green you've got there! The sargeants face looks a little odd though: It appears that the cheeks and jaw have an extra highlight layer on them than the forehead. Another layer of light flesh on the forehead would fix him up a treat! The dread looks great, i'm liking the pale bone/white colour on the scroll and wings. Which colours did you use for this?

Al

Agreed on the sargeants face, the highlighting def looks off in that picture :huh: what I will say though is that it honestly doesnt look that off in the flesh so to speak. Also im not aiming for a golden deamon winning force, my remit is just a well presented force to enable me to get some gaming hrs under my belt again. But i will add another highlight on the forehead (I may well have forgot to do it ^_^ )

All scrolls, wings and bone are a basecoat of bestial brown, followed by a highlight of staright bleached bone (2 thin layers), followed by bleached bone skull white 50:50 and then finally a highlight of skull white. This is how I do all my bone except Deathwing armour which I follow a different process.

great stuff!

good to see your getting back to 40k with some green :lol:

as to the name,having a M/Melta and all perhaps "INFERNUS" may be appropriate...

keep up the good work!

cheers Mithril

Infurnus is definatly fitting but reminds me of a Blood Angels Dreadnought :lol:

Anyway some more progress, power arnour complete on the second half of the tactical squad:

gallery_42821_3175_205775.jpg

gallery_42821_3175_354116.jpg

2nd half of tactical squad complete

gallery_42821_3175_282561.jpg

full tactical squad

gallery_42821_3175_144048.jpg

Deathwing are next which i am quite looking forward to painting :mellow:

also gonna do a batch of heavy and special weapon marines so i have the option to chop and change when builing lists - gonna go for primarily plasma weapons

Thanks for the cool comments people. I agree with the fact I need to drill out the gun barrels and will do those at some point.

The sargeant is def not upto scratch and there are a couple of things wrong with him as already pointed out by a few people - he may well get replaced with a vet from the vet box with robes ??? it is worth saying though that it was one of the 1st models i painted in a good 7-8 yrs and already i feel my skills ae improving.

I also just want to get 1500 points painted up so i can get a few games in,

Anyway on with the WIP......

Deathwing started.... whole squad basecoated in graveyard and heavy washed with devlan mud.

gallery_42821_3175_84184.jpg

1st terminator armour basically complete minus a few touch up areas....... im happy with it and i'm confident the squad will look nice when complete.

gallery_42821_3175_224826.jpg

gallery_42821_3175_275353.jpg

gallery_42821_3175_22784.jpg

• 5 months later...

Right well been away for a while - been busy moving house and we have recently had a baby ;)

Have only just had the chance to crack on and get some painting done.

i'm happy with how they are turning out :)

gallery_42821_3175_47633.jpg

gallery_42821_3175_262153.jpg

• 1 year later...

So family life has been a bit hectic, with little time devoted to hobbies over the last few months but back on track now.

Firstly have completed 4 of my Deathwing now, only have the sergeants power sword left to do and then its just the assault cannon terminator left.

gallery_42821_3175_7155.jpg

gallery_42821_3175_2368.jpg

gallery_42821_3175_21170.jpg

gallery_42821_3175_157280.jpg

And i also started a Sniper rifle scout squad this evening, made some good progress on them for only a few hrs painting.

gallery_42821_3175_81132.jpg

gallery_42821_3175_15270.jpg

gallery_42821_3175_102653.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived