tyranid threat

chapter master 454

I am facing a guy who is bringing a 1750 tyranids army soon and I have never faced tyranids before. I've been told they are just purely nasty (as I've heard genestealers are troops and from what I hear about them is that they are nasty). I've got more experience dealing with ether a horde army or power armoured army, but I have no idea what tyranids have or do. For one Theres the old joke and somewhat half-hearted stratgey: 'even if your an ork, stand and shoot them' but from a match I saw Tyranids can do far more than just run at you.

I do not have very many heavy bolter models, only 2 while I have 2 plasma cannons, 2 lascannons (for all the use they'll be!) and let me tallky up my missle lauchers, I have 5 missle lauchers. I also can boast my dual land raiders (redeemer and vanilla flavour), plus a whirlwind, vindicator and thunderfire cannon. I've heard it's wise to pop 'synaspe' creatures first then just mop up the confused swarms but others say thats not smart. Just asking for a few pointers and warnings on anything really nasty, from the looks of things he has a hive tyrant with some serious weapons (strange gun thingy plus BIG sythces). As far as I know, tyranids are the assault horde race without equal.

Right, there are 3 main tyranid builds, so I'll give you advice one each.

First up is your traditional horde army, normally consisting of warriors as HQ and elites to provide synapse, and a butt load of gaunts for troops, with a few other units to taste. In this army, killing off the synapse is the most important thing, since his other units then go the instinctive bahaviour rules, which basically means they become bolter bait. However, when facing this army with marines, you will be outnumbered several times over.

Second build is genestealer spam, this is a pretty nasty build for marines to have to fight. The one redeeming quality about this list is it's lack of ranged weaponry, so just run away and keep shooting, if they make it in to combat you'll die. Fortunately, if he's using a tyrant, it's very unlikely he's running this build.

Finally, we have nidzilla, tourny build. Not nice to face, sinve it can have up to 8 MCs, this is the exact opposite of the horde army, an subsequently has to be dealt with differently, lots of high strength weapons (i.e. those lascannons) will be useful here, fortunately the army is fairly slow and low on numbers, but it can put out a lot of dakka at a decent(ish) range.

It's possible he's also gone for a balanced approach, in which case just try and take out the synapse, avoid the stealers and shoot the big bugs.

Sorry I can't give more detailed advice, but it's late and I'm tired.

Against Hive Tyrants and Crnifexs the sniper scouts are your best friend. Against a toughness 8 creature, a sniper rifle is effectively S8 because it hits on a 4+. So if your scout squad gets a MC in their sights, they effectively shoot lascannon shots (in game terms) and they cost nothing. Take a full 10 man squad of them, or maybe even two.

thanks for the help, the list he had looked more on horde than nidzilla but that may change. Might take along my necrons incase I manage an early glance at his list or any info on his army but my marines are most likely to take stage. So I'm to avoid genestealer combat at all costs (or face death) and basicly blast the living bio-material out of them, easy enough for me, when it comes to marines I prefer blasting things apart at range (where orks contrast to that and my necrons are just marines done rapid fire style). I'll take my thunderfire without question, thats gonna be useful no matter what (it can at least slow down MCs in a pinch) plus my ever great termys, lysander and redeemer since they can pummel at range and CC (vannilla termys are great!). My sniper scouts only number 5 (my other 5 number in the comedy shotty squad) but shall be taken. Gonna sqeeze in my other land raider since if MCs are around, the BS 5 lascannons should do some damaged (plus melta and HK).

And yet again, thanks for the help.

Plasma Weapons, Missile Launchers and massed ranks of disciplined Bolter fire. Thunderfire Cannon, especially against CC-only 'nid armies, really rocks.

'nid Infantry has a real hard time dealing with Dreadnoughts. You can often Tar Pit units for multiple turns with a Dreadnought.

On a related note, we give a big thumbs up for the Assault Cannon.

Oh, and needless to say, Sternguard are good.

Plasma Weapons, Missile Launchers and massed ranks of disciplined Bolter fire. Thunderfire Cannon, especially against CC-only 'nid armies, really rocks.

'nid Infantry has a real hard time dealing with Dreadnoughts. You can often Tar Pit units for multiple turns with a Dreadnought.

On a related note, we give a big thumbs up for the Assault Cannon.

Oh, and needless to say, Sternguard are good.

Eh only guants will have a tough time with a dread, stealers and the MC will eat a dread nigh instantly. most anything the nids feild thats tooled for CC will rend, dreads are still great mind you you just have to be realy smart when choosing your targets. Assult cannons are however GREAT. Stern are solid but I always wonder if its cost effective, If your shooting at the big bugs with em they get their armor save and it would normaly be better to be hitting them with plas las and as (and maybe some krak and melta too) and against the hoards increase quantity of cheaper bolters would be better for the points. Fun fact in another "how to fight nids" thread I crunched the numbers of scouts vs sternguard, and scouts (sniper) were more effective in shooting than stern vs TMC with extended carapace, (assuming the stern can rapid fire) and without stern rapid fire they also outpreform vs 3+ saves (per point).

I looked at my army and considered each of their personalitys and the reason for termys plus lysander is they are my armys best heavy hitters/tar pit. The thunderfire was no questions, morvern with his accruacy will mow down the larger swarms leaving the rest to bolters. Thinking about my two dreads going in for some CC carnage with MCs just for laughs (you know, fun! winning isn't my aim, having fun is!). I'm gonna challenge myself and not take my land raiders this match, they'll be too much for even MCs to face down. My sterns are not likely to see the field as their accruacy is T-Herible (rapid fire vengance, I get 5 overheats plus 3 dead sterns, veterans of killing themselves!). Scouts aren't any brighter ether. My troops choice will most likely consist of a full squad cloned once (plasma and flamer) with a full squad armed with plasma gun and missle laucher (trying to be fluffy here with my army as well, they love plasma, missles and by god they love fire!!!).

As for fast attack an assault squad for further giggles may be taken. we all know 10 assault marines with PF and SS can defeat the tyranid horde :P . Might also consider an old tag team of lysander backed by vulkan, however chances aren't the greatest (he has trouble understanding his mantle confers 3+ invunerable, not 2+). Might take my shotty scouts for their comedy act (Ie not being able to hit the broad side of a barn door even if they glued their barrel ends to the door) which is always good for laughs (they took on a squad of TH/SS termys with a chaplin in it, I was sure they'd win <_< ). Well thanks for letting me know all the things that are cruel in tyranids

Distraction is my vote for the key way to beat 'Nids. Figure out what units can best slow him down, distract him, keep his force split. Unless he's running 'Nidzilla, keeping hive mind connections covering all corners of the board might be something that is difficult for him. Or you can use a suicide unit or two to keep the full brunt of his push from hitting your line.

Speeders; flanking scouts; scout bikers; two "bait" tactical squads rhino rushing on one flank while the rest of the army is on the other flank... as long as you don't put too many points in but they get him to pull the army in half, worth their weight in gold.

And the thunderfire cannon firing the movement limiting shot can be really good stuff. Slow down the front of the force, and the rest gets backed up as well.

Cheers.

Archived