Fighting Orks

Nurgle71

My space marines will be facing some orks soon. I don't usually fight horde army so I don't know what to use. the only thing I know she use is Boss snikrot and a large bunch of Kommados. The only thing I'm sure of bringing myself is a devastor squad with 4 missile launcher.

Some advice and tips would help( I don't want to be beaten by a girl :D(she just happen to be a good tournament player) ). I got a good amount of model but I would prefer more advice than list builds but both won't hurt.

Deal with the Kommandos with a judicious mix of Flamers and Assault units.

Consider taking some infiltrator/scout units of your own.

Thunderfire Cannon to slow up the horde is useful, but expect the Kommandos to go for it. Can be useful simply as bait.

Are you expecting to face Biker Nobz? If so, add a vote for packing the Heavy Flamers.

I'm not so sure about the Devastator Squad. Compared to Heavy Support choices like the Predator, Vindicator and Whirlwind, it's a bit lacking.

thunderfire bait is always good but somewhat risky. I can garentee you'll seen burnas in that kommando squad without doubt. However their armour save is pathetic 6+ so just rapid fire them with bolters and don't bother about trying to keep away from snikrot, just focus on staying away from the horde. Try some dreads to help discourage snikrot (as he'll be tied up with it forever more, he ain't strong enough as long as you deny him the charge). If you see tank bustas, just plant some tank in view but out of range for them, they must shoot it regardless of range and same for assault (IE even if they're on the other end of the board and they see the tank they try to assault it).

Try and take some sternguard to boot, if the orks take huge mobs then cover saves will be taken advantage of and thus ignoring the those will be key (however thunderfire can do just as well). In a game against horde, thunderfires are not expendable, not at all. Try and cover them with a line of men to aid against snikrot while the dreads close in and try and get him (trust me, whatever the cost that tunderfire will pay back points fast). bit of advise, watch out for outflanking deffcoptas and bikers going up flank plus trukks with big meks and warbosses plus mobs in them. If this list sounds anything like I've faced, then your gonna be struggling big time.

Thanks, everyone. I think there are Nobs but in a vehicle, not on bikes. I'm not sure if it make any difference. About the thunderfire, I looked over the rules and thought it is a good idea( now just to asemble it and paint).

Also, do people think it is a good idea to use Vanguard vets and a Assault marine squad to show up behind enm lines and create a 'back door' assault?

Actually that can work pretty well if done right. Take a little bit of fire support and then hit the mobs just hard enough to last through your turn, that way he can't shoot you or charge you in his. By your next turn, you are ready to charge again. I've used that against a few horde ork armies.

My space marines will be facing some orks soon. I don't usually fight horde army so I don't know what to use. the only thing I know she use is Boss snikrot and a large bunch of Kommados. The only thing I'm sure of bringing myself is a devastor squad with 4 missile launcher.

Some advice and tips would help( I don't want to be beaten by a girl :)(she just happen to be a good tournament player) ). I got a good amount of model but I would prefer more advice than list builds but both won't hurt.

First off losing to a girl... come on man you are losing to a good tournament player, gender is not the issue. There is no need for any macho nonsense in the game :)

4 ML Dev is a very expensive prospect, especially when you can throw down a thunderfire which does the same job at a fraction of the cost. I would listen to the previous advice and really think about the alternative options in HS. I personally would throw in a Crusader, all weapons are good anti infantry and it can hose a shocking amount of firepower directly into a massive unit then dump an assault unit directly into its maw and wipe it out.

NEVER let orks get the charge! It is almost always better to charge them and deny the furious charge than to rapid fire and hope to break them up, your tacticals etc have bolt pistols for this very reason.

Templates are a good idea but so are multishot weapons. Most people shy away from the assault cannon due to its percieved nurfing with regards to rending but its stats are almost built for knocking out orks. Consider getting a unit of standard terminators with an assault cannon to drive a wedge in her battle line. You want to break up her movement towards you as much as possible whilst still being able to shoot at her units so having a squad of terminators split her lines in half and making her react to them is a good idea.

Outflanking with Snikrot is a little bit of an annoyance. He gets to chose which board edge he comes on from (including your own!) He is S6 with rerolls to wound and Kommandos can be tooled up with some pretty interesting weapons (burnas, big shootas and rokkits). As someone said above, expect there to be a lot of burnas which are essentially either Power Weapons or Flamers. As has been mentioned also these units do not stand up to any real fire so make sure that your vulnerable heavy support has some attending scout or tactical brothers to cover them. Remember the 1" non combat zone, where a unit cannot move within 1" of something it is not assaulting, if you cover your thunderfire with a unit in a particular way the kommandos will not be able to get around them in order to attack the vulnerable thunderfire. Works well with a spare Rhino, which you will not neccesarily need to close the gap as they will be coming for you.

You will need to be able to adequately judge target priorities with Orks. They are a bit of a pain because there are so many things to shoot and almost all of them are downright deadly in the right hands (even gretchin as my opponents found before I decided that my Orks needed a good dust layer to improve their look :)). Things to mark as a priority include:-

Nobs in Trukks

Anything else in trukks

Warbikers

Footmounted large mobs

Big Mek with Shock Attack Gun

Deffroller Battlewagons

Gretchin lurking on or around objectives

Basically you want to stop the orks moving towards you quickly first, then concentrate on whittling down their numbers, before targeting specifically dangerous units, then concentrating on anything that is in danger of capturing objectives, then dealing with the things that are about to swallow you in a sea of green.

Watch out also for the following:

Mega Armoured Nobs - Terminators with Slow and Purposeful and 2 Wounds! They are slow but when they get at you they will kill you really bad unless you attack them with multi attack power weapons

Lootas - Basically ork mounted random shot autocannons. These things will lay waste to any light and medium tanks you own then start to whittle down your normal marines. You will need something fast and good in assault (assault marines) to lay waste to them mid way through the game before they can do too much damage.

Weirdboys - These are unpopular because they are random. They are random and therefore deadly. They make planning and tactics very difficult for both sides because you dont know if the model is going to teleport the entire unit somewhere else, fry the orks brains out or give them an extra attack in combat.

Looted Wagons - Basically anything that looks like an imperial tank wrecked and then peiced back together again. This fires a large ordenance blast that just happens to be AP3. This will lay waste to lots of your marines and will instant kill any characters who are under it. They are mounted on AV10 though so just direct a few high strength weapons towards it. DO NOT let this live in the early stages because it will not take much to make its points back. This is not in the main section because they are not very popular because they are expensive and have crappy armour.

Whoops, this was only supposed to be a quick post. I have more advice but I dont feel like typing it now. If you have any specific qurestions please PM me and maybe I will throw a few more words on this reply.

Wan

seriously i have a really good destructo list for my marines but one army im have a butt load of trouble with is that speed freaks army, and the thing is one of my good friend uses a variation of the speed freaks army where he has all his fancy lil warbikes than he has a bunch of lootas just blowing me up like crazy and then having his vulcha squad flank and just murder all my guys.\

any of you guys have a good idea to stop speed freaks

You could try putting a unit of 5 Honour Guard with Chapter Banner and Relic blade toting Champion in a Landraider with a stock Chaplain and Master with Relic blade. Seriously, nothing they have can stand up to that except Dreadnoughts and Ghazghull.

Most Ork players believe that their units of 20+ Boyz are unbeatable, they have 2 such units and plenty of smaller ones usually. Blow the noses off of one and counter charge, aim this unit at the other and you will destroy their core and most of their numbers. If they have an army of smaller units, then you can systematically destroy one with shooting and charge the nearest with this unit. Funny stuff when you see the look of an Ork players face when his unstoppable hoard is reduced to nothing by a powerful combat unit...

Archived