ongoing Marines Malevolent project log

tagsta

Wondered where this thread had gone to!! :blink:

Nice Malevolents,like the LR with the turret,its summat i have been messing about with!!

Its good to see more Brother Marines Malevolents on B&C!!!!

Tagsta, what other bits from other sets did you use for the army? Just curious on how you see the Marines Malevolent. Are you following the limited cannon fluff from GW and the book "Salamander"?

frankly i didnt read through the whole book salamander.. if you want to spoiler the end, go ahead I will probably don't read through.

I will probably follow GW's fluff properly and the book loosely for example the fact that the MM follow the restrictions on the council of nikaea I will ignore but I will include tons of older pattern armour to show that the chapter is very old..

bits are very mixed from the whole marine range

its been a few months since i read it, but i'll see if i recall all the M bits. those that plan to read Salamander, dont continue reading, or you'll get the runs. you have been warned.

third of the way into the book:

the MM meet up with the salamanders on a lost admech vessel carrying unpainted, unclaimed 'aquila' mark armor, rows upon rows of prestine bolt guns, heavy bolters, missile launchers, lascannons, entire crates filled with munitions set beside the racks of heavy weapons. the MM are wearing mismatched haphazardly put together armor of various older marks; not one of them newer than a mark V suit. their bolters still use the old drum-fed clips, which were abandoned because of their tendency to jam under continuous fire, and their helmets cannot mag-lock to their waists like the salamanders newer marks can. when asked about the condition of their armour, one responds that the armor is made of the salvaged parts of their fallen brothers and in their eyes it honors their dead. but their scavenger mentality and being unwilling the leave the dead in peace with their battle gear sits unwell with some of the salamander contingent. later, when its found that the armour that was meant for who-knows-what chapter is the goal of the MM, the slamanders deny them of it saying they will take stewardship of the equipment, return it to the admech, and let them deal with re-shipping it to its proper owners.

the MM however, refuse to abide this and make off with a large pallet of gear via teleport.

later near the end of the book:

the MM "conveniently" come to the rescue of the salamanders 3rd company and help repair their damaged ship drives before the planet explodes; on the condition they're given ALL of the gear that was on the admech ship. having not choice but to agree or die there, 3rd company agrees. the MM follow them to nocturne, where their captain speaks with the chapter master tu'shan, who tells him his methods of getting the gear bad are dishonourable, and that he highly doubts the just happened to pass by and feels its more likely they stalked 3rd company's vessel for a chance to steal the gear back and are using the salamanders honor to uphold their word to get what he wants. he also tells him he's made a dangerous enemy of the salamanders and risks being treated as renegades for their actions, and then gives them the rest of the equipment that was on the ship, which is enough to update at least a company or more of MM.

this section near the end of the book where tu'shan talks to this captain, and earlier when the salamanders are talking to the MM on the admech ship, and when the main character's teleported in front of this captain to talk before the smaller theft of the gear takes place are really good fluff bits to get a feel for how they're trying to describe how the MM have survived all these centuries on their older gear, and how they re-arm themselves since mars wont supply them. this could also give you fluff to build on about anti-admech relations with mars and give more possible conversion ideas to you if you feel like sitting down and exploring the cause and effect all of that has on the MM's gear, tactics, and mentality.

:huh: What you on about? :huh:

:D Oh i see what you mean now....just had a look round!! :rolleyes:

I weathered my tanks using FW pigments.. turned out good! I will snap some shots tomorrow...

I just don't know how to fix the pigments properly.. I might have to get myself some MIG pigment fixer

/edit

this section near the end of the book where tu'shan talks to this captain, and earlier when the salamanders are talking to the MM on the admech ship, and when the main character's teleported in front of this captain to talk before the smaller theft of the gear takes place are really good fluff bits to get a feel for how they're trying to describe how the MM have survived all these centuries on their older gear, and how they re-arm themselves since mars wont supply them. this could also give you fluff to build on about anti-admech relations with mars and give more possible conversion ideas to you if you feel like sitting down and exploring the cause and effect all of that has on the MM's gear, tactics, and mentality.

thanks for summarizing up the bits of fluff from the book.. I will probably skim through the pages to find the parts you described...

I don't think that the MM necessarily have anti-admech relations but there must be some kind of reason why they don't get resupplied... For me the explanation of a very old chapter with lots of relics works well enough =)

Tagsta, any more pictures of your company? Would like to see it all together in a picture. Are the symbols on the rhinos and whirlwinds decals? How do you do them?

Look like the same decals I use on my Malevolents Brother Varen.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/noodletoff/Bikes/WH40K/BrotherSgtDevlinside.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/noodletoff/Bikes/WH40K/Whirlwind.jpg

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...amp;showfile=56

;)

brother zxyogi, i was talking about the vehicle symbols on the rhino side doors. The tactical arrow and the vindicator symbol. Are they decals and if so where to get them. Also how is the 5th company doing? Any new updates for them?

brother zxyogi, i was talking about the vehicle symbols on the rhino side doors. The tactical arrow and the vindicator symbol. Are they decals and if so where to get them. Also how is the 5th company doing? Any new updates for them?

i created the decals myself using various symbols from the decal range from the B&C download section

i will post pictures as soon as i find time.. be patient please, the waiting will be worth it in the end...

real life is very time consuming at the moment for me and I also have my BA side project for the next year

update time!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/Tagsta/Warhammer40k/Marines%20Malevolent/IMG_2147.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/Tagsta/Warhammer40k/Marines%20Malevolent/IMG_2149.jpg

1st Company Terminator Squad.. Note the crouching brother to the very right. He is a junior member of the 1st company being only recently promoted to training in tactical dreadnought armour.. Hence he didn't earn his private heraldry yet..

the squad consists of 50% black reach terminators and 50% leftover bits... i think it's a really efficient way of saving money...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/Tagsta/Warhammer40k/Marines%20Malevolent/IMG_2150.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/Tagsta/Warhammer40k/Marines%20Malevolent/IMG_2152a.jpg

I applied weathering powders to the land raider... some of the black and metal parts are still WIP but the tank itself is about 95% finished..

love the rust effect on the engine part...

still have to get myself some pigment fixer to properly fix the pigments

great work tagsta. I'll look in the download section again. I might have missed them before.

How do you paint the vehicles? Do you paint them all yellow than paint the black areas. Or do you assemble and paint them seperatly? I ask because i picked up Army painter's color primer (daemonic yellow) and am trying to figure out the best approach to painting my vehicles. Any advice would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/Tagsta/Warhammer40k/Marines%20Malevolent/serg.jpg

First Sergeant Ethan Festus

Brother Sergeant Festus served as a Terminator Sergeant in the first Company with a record of over 120 active battle missions. During the Cleansing of Vinculus Alpha he was grieviously wounded by a melta bomb from a renegade Marine. Sergeant Festus lost both of his legs and his left arm. Unable to continue his duty in Tactical Dreadnought Armour he returned to his former company and was promoted to First Sergeant. He leads the 5th Company's Command Squad and often serves as an advisor to Captain Demos.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/Tagsta/Warhammer40k/Marines%20Malevolent/serg2.jpg

This pict capture shows the Sergeant's bionic arm replacement and an Ultima pattern Power Sword, popular for Terminator Squad Leaders.

Always nice to see some of the less well known Chapters getting some love, especially when they're this well painted. I really like the switching round you've done with the Multimelta and Heavy Bolter on the Land Raider and the First Sergeant looks ace.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/Tagsta/Warhammer40k/Marines%20Malevolent/IMG_2999.jpg

FW Mk V Veteran Sergeant in Marines Malevolent Colors WIP

excuse the bad pic but I wanted to be the first one that posts the new FW Mk V suit =)

expect a squad with tons of Mk V soon =)

• 2 weeks later...

update on the sergeant...

still a bit glossy from the varnish

keep in mind that this fella is still WIP

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/Tagsta/Warhammer40k/Marines%20Malevolent/Untitled-1.jpg

/edit

Always great to look over your work tagsta, you really have made this chapter your own.

The new mk V editions will look fantastic!

thanks! that does me great honour!

I will do my best to complete the latest shots of my MKV demi squad

I love that land raider, seriously it is freaking epic!

thanks again :whistling:

tagsta, looking good. Are you going to use any other FW kits or bolters? The mk5 looks great though. How is your army coming along?

battle company is about 70% finished! expect some new pics soon!

I have a set of oldschool bolters and I will swap the bolters of an existing squad to make the army look more "retro"

The terminators look good in MM colours, everything looks well painted.

Perhaps you could colour the studs on the Mk5 armour for extra detail.

Overall, they are bright for my taste but good job.

thanks! i thought about coloring the studs in silver but I think I will keep them silver!

Archived