Stealth Rule - Camo Cloaks vs Sgt Telion?

Marlow

Wierd, I know, but once a unit is determined to have a cover save, the entire unit shares the same cover save.

Next, if you have 3 models in 4+ cover, 4 models in 3+ cover, and 3 models in the open, the entire unit benefits from a 3+ cover save. Again, wierd.

While I agree that using the majority available cover save is the most reasonable solution, I still feel that the rulebook does not actually adress such a situation, and only defines how a unit either counts as being in cover and being allowed to make cover saves (of unspecified nature), or not counting as being in cover. The small bit on page 24 about "models with more than one save" might even suggest that a unit allways uses the best available cover save, no matter how many models are behind that kind of cover, but again I feel that the rule adresses a simple situation where the whole (or majority) of the unit is behind the two assumed types of cover.

But even if you are supposed to apply one type of cover to the whole unit, it still would not be a problem if a number of models from that unit would then get a bonus to that basic cover save every member of the unit gets.

I.e. 3 models are behind 5+ cover, 5 models are behind 4+ cover, 2 models are in the open, one model has "stealth". Because teh majority of the unit is behind cover, and because the majority is behind 4+ cover (not in the rulebook!) the whole unit can make 4+ cover saves. The single model with "stealth" gets a bonus to the 4+ save everyone gets.

I agree with your statements Legatus; you correctly point out that many special rules are fast and loose with terms such as 'model' and 'unit', but I just want to add one thing.

Namely, the rules for cover (not just the rules for stealth) are all about a benefit to the entire squad.

AKA, if you have 3 models in 4+ cover, and 2 models out of cover, the models out of cover still benefit from the 4+ cover. Wierd, I know, but once a unit is determined to have a cover save, the entire unit shares the same cover save.

Next, if you have 3 models in 4+ cover, 4 models in 3+ cover, and 3 models in the open, the entire unit benefits from a 3+ cover save. Again, wierd.

So with stealth, one reason why the designers maybe choose to use the word 'unit' is because cover saves are 'unit' dependant abilities, and the entire unit will have the same save--stealth just improves whatever the 'units' cover save is by +1.

NO, the majority is what teh save is or isn't then u would apply to teh indvdual that has stealth the bouns +1. so you have 5 scouts and Telion, no camo cloaks, the enemy can see 4 scouts in the woods, so the squad gets a 4+ cover save, but telion has scout so he would have a 3+ cover save, the enemy scores 5 wounds with ap 4 weapon then so everyone is hit they can not take and armour save, but get there cover save, scouts saving on a 4+ and telion on a 3+. easy

NO, the majority is what teh save is or isn't then u would apply to teh indvdual that has stealth the bouns +1. so you have 5 scouts and Telion, no camo cloaks, the enemy can see 4 scouts in the woods, so the squad gets a 4+ cover save, but telion has scout so he would have a 3+ cover save, the enemy scores 5 wounds with ap 4 weapon then so everyone is hit they can not take and armour save, but get there cover save, scouts saving on a 4+ and telion on a 3+. easy

I have to agree with this interpretation- its the only way that makes any sense within the rules to my reading.

I can understand the argument that stealth is a squad based special rule, so they all get it... and I can see that. I cant see him having the rule and others getting it because its the best available, nor him being denied a special rule until hes on his own for whatever reason. Its silly.

Archived