[Artwork] Captain Lordan, Devil Dogs

Hasoroth

Seized by a burst of enthusiasm I decided I'd embark on a new Chapter after my interest in my Subjugators began to wane. Known as the Devil Dogs, the fluff will come later but in the meantime I wrote a short story that you can find here, and a drawing of a Devil Dog Captain, the fictitious Captain Lordan. I'm a terrible drawer but I thought this drawing was at least a bit better than my usual dross. The most I can say about this piece is that at least my drawing is getting quicker. This took about thirty minutes so maybe I'm not as terribad as I used to be.

Anyway, presenting the Hound, the Iron Vanquisher, the Fire, Hero of Tripoli, Subjugator of Arrance and master of the 4th Company, Captain Lordan.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f219/Hasoroth/CaptainLordan4thCompany-1.jpg

Critiques and criticisms (hell, even outright flaming) are all welcomed with open arms, in case I ever try and mangle a piece of paper again. I'd like to improve to a level where I can draw recognizable shapes.

Edit: Standard caveat, it looks better in person :D

Disregarding the proportional problems, I quite like it ;). It's a great doodle and viewed as such I don't think there's anything really wrong with him. I love the ornate writing on his armour, vey gothic. I'm not sure how many people would agree with me on this bbut to me it's very reminiscent of John Blanche's style of sketching.

Cheers, next time I sketch I'll try and keep it in proportion, usually I don't draw the little stick figure diagram before I sketch but I'll make an exception next time, it won't do to have Devil Dogs looking like mishapen apes ;)

I like the writing too, it's based on those awesome pieces of artwork with Space Marines having elegant mantras and motto's written on their breastplate and embellished. I'm wondering if anyone notices the mandarin on his sword. As a half-American half-Chinese I think it'd be pretty cool to have my Chapter use a sort of 40k Chinese as their private battle language, if English is taken to be equivalent to Low Gothic.

I've never seen a John Blanche sketch, but I've seen some of his finished works and that's great praise!

Archived