Which Chaos Legion would you want released first?

Tyron

None.

The last thing we need are even more Marine codices. A single page per Legion will do.

Wrong, we need at least one legion/cult codex. There are more non-Marine books than Marine ones, I could see a complaint is there were more Marine than non but this isn't the case.

Wrong, we need at least one legion/cult codex.
And since when? The previous codex managed to provide all legions in a single book.

There are more non-Marine books than Marine ones, I could see a complaint is there were more Marine than non but this isn't the case.
Lol, armies are not split into Marines and "non-Marines".

None. Just because the current codex fails to successfully integrate the various chaos legions into a single army list doesn't mean it can't be done. It just can't be done with that minimalist, skeletal structure. A codex CSM made in the same style as the current loyalist codex could certainly provide for near about any chaos army one might want to field, from any of the legions to renegades, maybe even lost and the damned.

I agree with Lay i think. Codex Chaos Space Marines and Codex Space Marines could be made a bit lengthier. And both could have a few pages with special chars and some special 'trinkets'. Nothing more.

It actually would benefit the whole of the hobby. More time for all factions to get updated and everyone still has a few unique things for their own 'chapter' or 'Legion' or 'warband'.

I think that if Games Workshop were to release a new Chaos Space Marine Codex that included specific rules for the separate Legions then they would do it in the same way that they have done it with the loyalist marine books. Codex: Black Legion (ala Codex: Ultramarines) would include general units and have an armylist capable of offering up a variety of forces from a mechanised Iron Warriors to an infiltrating Alpha Legion Warband then release other books for the god specific legions (Codex: World Eaters, Codex: Deathguard etc) in the same way that they have released Codex: Dark Angels, Codex: Space Wolves etc. These separate books could be used by players who play that legion and players that have a renegade chapter that they want to have the same structure.

Hope this helps.

Lol, armies are not split into Marines and "non-Marines".

Sorry, you did say Marines not MEQ or Imperial.

The last thing we need are even more Marine codices. A single page per Legion will do.

I got the feeling from inteviews with the design staff that there would be no going back to an all inclusive 3.5 like Chaos codex. They have decided to do the cults in their own seperate book. So I would venture a guess that it will only cover WE, EC, DG, TS and that's it. Basically all other legions will have to make the current book work.

None.

hmm only a single page ??

I just want them to make 1 codex that covers all the legions just like before..

Altough I'm not to sure they'll ever make a codex: legions.. :)

None.

There really is no reason to do that frankly.

well i think higher priority than codex legion is codex traitor guard, virtually every piece of fluff in existence for CSM involves some form of cultist/slave/renegade guard to be used as underlings, warbands especially.... i mean there must be some warbands out there with like 20 odd marines and a few hundred traitor guard under them... codex eye of terror was my favourite codex EVAR for it allowed me to field a proper warband.... 0.02p

To a few memeber, could we please leave the "not another marine codex" comment out of this topic. more so since this is a Power Armour fourm I might add I belive the orignaly memeber posted this topic as a bit of fun & to see what our fellow chaos player would like.

Don't like this, don't post. It that easy. This topic is just for a bit of fun.

So let keep this topic as Which Chaos Legion would you want released first?.

IP

well i think higher priority than codex legion is codex traitor guard, virtually every piece of fluff in existence for CSM involves some form of cultist/slave/renegade guard to be used as underlings, warbands especially.... i mean there must be some warbands out there with like 20 odd marines and a few hundred traitor guard under them... codex eye of terror was my favourite codex EVAR for it allowed me to field a proper warband.... 0.02p

I really REALLY like that idea.

I really, really hope the designers rethink this 'legion' codex nonsense. The last thing 40k needs is four more marine codeces. The last thing chaos needs is a return in fluff to the time when chaos forces hated each other more then anyone else. The last thing Undivided chaos marine lists need is to be saddled with the current unbalanced, boring codex for several extra years because GW are releasing a bunch of unneccesary, narrow aligned lists.

The current Chaos codex failed to adaquately represent the mortal forces of chaos in a single codex and army list. But just because one rushed, unfinished, and skeletal attempt failed to grasp the majesty of the chaos marines and capture the imaginations of chaos players doesn't mean that it can't be done. Chaos Marines need a new codex. Not four, five, nine, or nine hundred. From my responce to this same thread on warseer:

If it were just what I'd prefer, I'd rather have all the chaos marines in a single book, but one made in the spirit of the new loyalist book - ie, that special rules, units, equipment, and options are a good thing, and worth the space they take to include. I mean, the Loyalist book's actual army list is 15 pages long, with 2 to 5 entries per page depending on how many options they require (special characters and most vehicles require few, elite units generally require many, etc). I think a good chaos army list could fit in that, including:

Page 1: Special HQ (Abby, Huron, Bile, Cypher)

Page 2: Special HQ (Khârn, Ahriman, Lucius, Typhus)

Page 3: Special HQ (IW, AL, WB, NL)

Page 4: Generic HQ (Prince, Lord; with sorcerer and cult upgrades for both)

Page 5: Elites (Undivided Cult termies & vets)

Page 6: Elites (Khorne Cult termies & zerkers)

Page 7: Elites (Tzeentch Cult termies & sons)

Page 8: Elites (Slaaneshi Cult termies & noise marines)

Page 9: Elites (Nurgle Cult termies & plague marines)

Page 10: Elites (Possessed, Dreadnought; also rhino transport)

Page 11: Troops (Chaos Marines, Cultists, and mutant hordes)

Page 12: Fast Attack (Raptors, Bikes, & mini defiler/chaos sentinels)

Page 13: Heavy Support (Oblits, Havocs, Defiler)

Page 14: Heavy Support (Land Raider, Vindicator, Predator, maybe something new)

Page 15: Summoned Daemons (0-1 Greater Daemons, Lesser Daemons)

Special Rules: All units except maybe oblits and raptors would either have an automatic mark built in or be markable. HQs would start with mark undivided, and could replace that mark th something else if they wished. Terminators can only be taken in armies that include an HQ that matches their mark. Power armored Cult/Vet units become troops choices in armies that include an HQ that matches their mark. Vehicles can have aligned options if the army includes an HQ with the appropriate mark (including a decent 'undivided' upgrade, and sonic weapons for slaaneshi marked vehicles). Chosen and generic terminators would be upgraded to a cult of their own, and would always be undivided. Cults in general would be made more expensive, and more elite (high Ws/Bs, fearless, etc) - this would make them actually feel like the veterans of 10,000 years of war, would cement them as the elites of the Legions while the bulk is provided by lesser servants fo chaos. It would ensure that the normal troops choices remain the most points efficient and attractive for that reason, but would allow purist 'original legion members only' armies for those who wanted such.

The army would include 'favor (or disfavor) of the gods' rules similar in concept to fantasy chaos mortals. Special characters would upgrade and restrict their armies in various ways fitting their gimmicks (Abaddon has all the marks, making all cult units troops, and might have a rule upgrading an attached unit of undivided termies; AL SC would give undivided vets the infiltrate rule; Cypher lets you replace 'fearless' with 'atsknf' for undivided vets & termies, etc). SCs in general would specifically reward you for taking units that match their mark, or prevent you from taking other marks outright, depending on their nature.

Add in some more options in the units themselves, and I think you would have a list capable of reasonably representing any of the chaos legions, as well as non-Legion chaos marine forces. You could even do a passing imitation of LatD. Again, all without side codeces, sub-codeces, variant lists, and all in a codex list no longer then what loyalist marines got.

Yep, I'm all for a combined Legions 'dex. And renegades can use the SM 'dex in my opinion.

In fact, as of late, I've grown more and more warm towards the idea of combining many Codices. Particularly the more Codex of the loyal Chapters. The only thing that worries me would be space for fluff. But if a theoretical 6th ed. Space Marine Codex were the size of the current one and focused a little less on Ultramarines (not that they shouldn't be the focus but they don't need to be the book...), you could fit enough in.

And we could then get LatD!

Dark Angels. They were barely mentioned in the most recent renegades Codex.

I see what you did there.

Hmm... which legion. That'd be a toughie. I dunno if there's enough fluff to really support them. *sigh*

I wouldn't mind a Black Legion or Night Lords codex. Night Lords would be fun, given how little love they've gotten from GW in past codices. I want to say the IA article was one of the few decent things they've gotten.

Hmm... which legion. That'd be a toughie. I dunno if there's enough fluff to really support them. *sigh*

I wouldn't mind a Black Legion or Night Lords codex. Night Lords would be fun, given how little love they've gotten from GW in past codices. I want to say the IA article was one of the few decent things they've gotten.

We already have Codex: Black Legion

If it were just what I'd prefer, I'd rather have all the chaos marines in a single book, but one made in the spirit of the new loyalist book - ie, that special rules, units, equipment, and options are a good thing, and worth the space they take to include. I mean, the Loyalist book's actual army list is 15 pages long, with 2 to 5 entries per page depending on how many options they require (special characters and most vehicles require few, elite units generally require many, etc). I think a good chaos army list could fit in that, including:

Page 1: Special HQ (Abby, Huron, Bile, Cypher)

Page 2: Special HQ (Khârn, Ahriman, Lucius, Typhus)

Page 3: Special HQ (IW, AL, WB, NL)

Page 4: Generic HQ (Prince, Lord; with sorcerer and cult upgrades for both)

Page 5: Elites (Undivided Cult termies & vets)

Page 6: Elites (Khorne Cult termies & zerkers)

Page 7: Elites (Tzeentch Cult termies & sons)

Page 8: Elites (Slaaneshi Cult termies & noise marines)

Page 9: Elites (Nurgle Cult termies & plague marines)

Page 10: Elites (Possessed, Dreadnought; also rhino transport)

Page 11: Troops (Chaos Marines, Cultists, and mutant hordes)

Page 12: Fast Attack (Raptors, Bikes, & mini defiler/chaos sentinels)

Page 13: Heavy Support (Oblits, Havocs, Defiler)

Page 14: Heavy Support (Land Raider, Vindicator, Predator, maybe something new)

Page 15: Summoned Daemons (0-1 Greater Daemons, Lesser Daemons)

Special Rules: All units except maybe oblits and raptors would either have an automatic mark built in or be markable. HQs would start with mark undivided, and could replace that mark th something else if they wished. Terminators can only be taken in armies that include an HQ that matches their mark. Power armored Cult/Vet units become troops choices in armies that include an HQ that matches their mark. Vehicles can have aligned options if the army includes an HQ with the appropriate mark (including a decent 'undivided' upgrade, and sonic weapons for slaaneshi marked vehicles). Chosen and generic terminators would be upgraded to a cult of their own, and would always be undivided. Cults in general would be made more expensive, and more elite (high Ws/Bs, fearless, etc) - this would make them actually feel like the veterans of 10,000 years of war, would cement them as the elites of the Legions while the bulk is provided by lesser servants fo chaos. It would ensure that the normal troops choices remain the most points efficient and attractive for that reason, but would allow purist 'original legion members only' armies for those who wanted such.

The army would include 'favor (or disfavor) of the gods' rules similar in concept to fantasy chaos mortals. Special characters would upgrade and restrict their armies in various ways fitting their gimmicks (Abaddon has all the marks, making all cult units troops, and might have a rule upgrading an attached unit of undivided termies; AL SC would give undivided vets the infiltrate rule; Cypher lets you replace 'fearless' with 'atsknf' for undivided vets & termies, etc). SCs in general would specifically reward you for taking units that match their mark, or prevent you from taking other marks outright, depending on their nature.

Add in some more options in the units themselves, and I think you would have a list capable of reasonably representing any of the chaos legions, as well as non-Legion chaos marine forces. You could even do a passing imitation of LatD. Again, all without side codeces, sub-codeces, variant lists, and all in a codex list no longer then what loyalist marines got.

A most excellent post. I'm completely in favor of something like this. Although I must admit there are some things in there I disagree with of course. :)

TDA

None.

There really is no reason to do that frankly.

Que ?? what do you mean ? I did not mean anything bad with my post, just wanted to say that I don't think they'll do a legion codex very soon..

But if they do I want renegades too in that codex.. , and I don't mean "red corsairs" or so with that since they are covert in the current chaosmarine dex.

But mutants and stuff, like there was in Codex "eye of terror"..

They may include that too in a Cult legion codex.. be it under the Alpha legion or word bearers.. They both use cultists..

Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Night Lords!

Night Lords! Night Lords! Night Lords!

But I think they'll probably do 5 books - the four cults and then the Undivided legions.

I'd like to see characters and units to typifiy the legions, like the Night Lords character allowing bikes to be scoring, or count as troops, the Iron Warriors section could have new siege units like "small" daemonic cannons.

Oh well, one can dream.

But I think they'll probably do 5 books - the four cults and then the Undivided legions.

I'd like to see characters and units to typifiy the legions, like the Night Lords character allowing bikes to be scoring, or count as troops, the Iron Warriors section could have new siege units like "small" daemonic cannons.

Oh well, one can dream.

Nightlords will probably be that jumppacks can be scoring.. I don't know if the nightlords use bikes fluffwise, they use a lot of raptorsquads was my impression

I always thought Night Lords were a rapid Legion, yes, Zso Sahaal may have been the first Raptor, but before that, Jump Packs had not been discovered/ implemented in the legions.

Anyway, thats beside the point, I only used bikes as an example.

I just hope the Legions get the codex they deserve. Something that shows these guys have been fighting the Imperium for 10000 years.

*Shrugs* I dont play chaos, but Id like to see world eaters or imperors children.

The former because I have a few friends who play them and the latter because I can see they got shafted.

But my real vote goes to the idea of a book of Cults and a book of Undivided legions.

Archived