Intel Gathering: The Waaaagh!

ShinyRhino

I'm looking to gatehr a quick bit of intelligence on the Greenskin horde. I've got a tourney coming up, and invariably will face an Ork player or two. I need to know which Ork units can benefit from a Waaaagh!. I know there are some that cannot, like Nobz and Warbosses in Mega Armor.

How about bikes? Deffcoptas? Kans? Trukks?

Unfortunately, I do not have access to a filthy Ork codex.

Aye, the tournament of which ye speak is 750 points.

As an SM player, if I were worried about Orks, and I would be,

Get as many guns as you can on the cheap. If Gazghul makes an appearance, kill him first.

I'd go with something like:

Cheap Librarian with gate and quickening

2 tactical squads, one w/ rhino (the other gets the libby as transport), plasmaguns and PCs or flamers /HBs, serg's w/ PFs. DO NOT combat squad in any Annhilation mission (or anytime you know there mayy be orks). Always deploy with the rhino squad in the rhino so the PG/PC shoots out the roof hatch - consider the Rhino a moving AF11 pillbox. Start the other squad and libby in cover but able to shoot out turn 1 w/ the HW selection and up to half the squad.

Here is where it gets tricksy - you would have about 250 points left...

option A: 1-dev squad w/ 4ML or 4 HBs; whirlwind; leftovers on scouts/w sniper rifles and HB or upgrades.

Option B: Large bike squad (5+) w/ MGs and flamers, PF, attack bike(s), leftovers on whirly or scouts

Option C: 3 whirlies, Scouts w/ HB (Or telion if you can squeeze in)

That said - from my own learning - starts with setup (make the Orks deploy first), your units 24 inches from any enemy unit, concentrated strong left or right, but not strong center. Then following the guidance of the B&S:

Turn 1 priority - Kill the shokk attack gun and Shootas mob; after that switch priority to Ghazghul followed by truck transports followed by deffcoptas

Turn 2 priority - assuming turn 1 went well, kill the mobile stuff (by unit if Annhilation) - stormboyz, bikers, Kans, etc.

Turn 3 priority - Start targeting the closest mobs, get them below 12 before moving to the next one. Kill nobz on foot.

Turn 4 priority - start setting up to grab or contest objectives. Setup to charge smaller ork mobs.

Turn 5 priority - end game - max on win points (kill points or objectives). Protect gains if orks still dangerous in case it goes to turn 6.

Couple of notes:

1. Meganobz and Ghazghul are slow and purposeful, and convey the slowness to any unit they lead.

2. Only gate late to get there. Quickening makes the libby go first HTH, coolest if you are fghting others (non-orks) like Eldar. Quick was selected just because sometiimes you really need to get the smacks down. It was not meant for the orks...Highest I they get is 3.

3. I've lost more to ShokkAGs in small games than HTH.

4. 24-inch separation means orks on foot cannot charge you even withh Waagh likely before turn 2 ends.

5. Concentrating your force will give you a big edge. I always forget that. Set up opposite the thing you need to kill first. Let the opponent come to you till turn 3. Helps if objectives are in play by keeping them central or in best open area you know you can shoot up.

6. Libby gives you boosts against others with their hood and force weapon. Keep him with the squad for ablative wounds. He is valuable.

7. If you take telion, kill the nob in each mob he can tag, just to eliminate the power claws. Set him and scouts up high in cover. Building roofs are best.

8. Whirlies use the anti-cover missiles, so the orks cannot hide and get better saves.

9. setup so none of your units create "shoot-thru" cover saves. Be mutually supporting and certainly 6-12 inches from each other, spread out in line formations to mitigate round deviating template concerns.

As counter intuitive as it sounds there is nothing in the rules that I know of which precludes a slow and purposeful model from being fleet. Therefore there is nothing stopping MAN's and MAWB's (Mega Armoured Nobs and Mega Armoured WarBosses) from using the fleet rule. Just as there is nothing to stop them from running in the shooting phase. In fact they do not incur any penalty for running with SandP so they can move the full distance from running and they can assault if they have declared the WAAAGGGHHH!

Bikes and Deffkoptas cannot WAAAGH as they cannot run normally. Neither can trukks, Kans, Dreads and Battlewagons

HOWEVER

The users inside a trukk and battlewagon can WAAAGH. This is due to the fact that as they are both open topped they allow the orks within the transports to assault out of the vehicle as well as shoot. Therefore the trukk can move 12", disembark orks, run orks (after declaring Waaagh) then move 6" to assault. Which means that their potential zone of terror is actually 26" (12" move, 2" disembark, 6" run and 6" charge) very evil and can catch out a lot of people <_<

Archived