Any opinions on the 6 dread list?

tedwin183

I've been mulling over the idea of the 6 dread list lately. I was thinking a master of the forge with a conversion beamer and then 3 venerable dreads with missile launcher/lascannon arms and then 3 ironclads all in drop pods all with dual heavy flamers.

Has anyone played with a 6 dread list and have any opinions on it's competitiveness?

I just watched fellow BnC member BOBMACKENZIE run a 6 ironclad list vs two nid armies yesterday.

It was pretty fun to watch I must say. They ate like 40 genestealers, god knows how may gaunts, pretty much everything the nids had.

Then the CC carnifex hit them

Carnifex >> dreadnought

I think it would give fits to most armies, but str 10 monstrous creatures are pretty deadly in cc vs any armor (pretty much the same thing as a melta railgun.... but with more attacks..... ouch!)

Has anyone played with a 6 dread list and have any opinions on it's competitiveness?

I have not played it, but as I own five Dreads I am thinking about it..

I am not sure about giving up the DCCW on the normal dreads or not, it is propably worthit on a couple of them.

Personally I would take the Auto Cannon rather than ML if I did. I would also give most of them the cheaper Assault Cannon rather than Lascannon, it is just as good against armour but much better against troops.

Troops wise I would take a unit of Sniper Scouts with Telion. He can snipe at hidden power fists and melta that are a threat and the unit benifts from the MotF Bolster Defence.

Second Troops would be a Tac Squad in Rhino or Drop Pod for getting other objectives.

I've seen two of these lists played, and my view on it is this:

1 - Making the dreads really expensive is a mistake. As stated above, you need to conserve points for troops, and you have to take a Master of the Forge for your HQ, so you are going to want to save points for other stuff. The list I have seen that was most effective was 2 ironclad dreads and 4 regular dreads, along with a solid block of troops.

2 - Keep in mind the most effective way to field a conversion beamer is on a bike, but conversely, you don't want the MotF having a huge bullseye on him in the first turn, and the other dreads will likely be in combat quickly, so he might be better to drop in with a squad with just a thunder hammer or no special gear.

3 - Make sure you have enough troops! Especially tactical squads in drop pods if your dreads are in pods, given that this provides you a huge amount of versatility when it comes to actually choosing what to land on the table with drop pod assault the first round if you go that route.

That's my thoughts, so far.

I was thinking 3 venerable dreads with TLLC and ML strictly because their BS is higher and because three of them standing in the back, shooting up all the high profile vehicles/MCs WILL be a major target for the opponent. I like the thought of making them re-roll those lucky shots that wreck/explode the things. I don't like the assault cannon idea. Sure, it's just as good at penetrating armour...but it's half the range. Of course, taking them as normal dreads and not venerable means you could cut 60 points off of each model...which would afford you more troops, specifically, 1 tac squad. I think Ironclads in drop pods is definitely partly the way to go. I just can't decide on the ratios of ironclad/regular/venerable to take.

I thought about this for a while before I went Grey Knight. Why would you take a Twin-Linked Lascannon when you have BS 5? What I came up with was three Ironclads with regular loadout and two Hunter-Killer Missiles in Drop Pods. Two Venerables with Assault Cannon and Auto-Cannon. One Regular with Twin-Linked Lascannon and Missile Launcher. Vulkan He'Stan and a Master of the Forge, each attached to Tacticals in Drop Pods. This way, your Ironclads can take care of any vehicles when they land with one dreadnought as back up vehicle destroyer. Your two Venerables are there to take care of enemy infantry, while you keep back your troops to grab objectives late game. Vulkan He'Stan is there to make your Meltaguns and Heavy Flamers more effective as well as being a god in close combat if you have to beat someone of an objective.

I will say this about my experience with drop pods:

You either want only a very few (one, usually), or many. Otherwise, you run the risk of spreading out your forces and letting the enemy pick you apart piece by piece when they can choose their spots, especially as dreadnoughts are not exactly the fastest thing out there.

Conversely, dropping any variety of them in at once in a force with nine drop pods (six dreads, three tacticals, or whatever) can really punish your opponent.

My main issue with Gun-Dreads is that giving up the DCCW they are really weak in melee. I am not convinced the Gun-Dread is better value than taking Tanks.

A regular Dred with TLLC & ML cost 145 points and the Venerable is 205. A Predator with Las Sponsons is 120 points.

• Dread can move and shoot all weapons but the tank has more weapons.
  • Dread has better side Armour, Tank has better front Armour
  • Dread can fight back in Melee, but can also be locked in combat. Tank can always shoot

I am with marlow, the combi pred (a autocannon top with sponson las cannons), for shooting is a steal at 120 points, much superior to a shooty dread, and while you lose some of the weapons when moving, you also cost a lot less than similar shooting dreads. Thus, dreads only outshine preds when you factor in their close combat weapon.

Also, while someone touched on it, I will elaborate that Vulkan+master of the forge, paired with 6 regular dreads, all with multimelta/flamer, is very scary and pretty efficient considering the dreds run at only 115 for twin linked mobile multimelta and flamers. Add in an obscene number of multimelta attack bikes and 2 troops, and you have a deadly 1750 point army with 15 twin linked mobile multimeltas.

Finally, 6 ironclads may be awesome, but I havent heard of such a list because the return on ironclads after 3 is diminished... after all, if the enemy can deal with them, then they can deal with 6 as easily as 3, and if they cant deal with them, then it only takes 3 to capitalize on the enemies weakness, plus you save the points spent on the master of the forge. Also, if you want drop pods, it only takes 6 drop pods for the 3 iron clads to have the option of all coming in turn 1 or all waiting in reserve, while it would take 12 drop pods to give a 6 iron clad army the same options...

Oh, I'd never run 6 ironclads. Again, I don't like the autocannon/assault cannon idea either because of the range difference. 24" v. 48" range weapon...you're only effectively using 1 of those until you...get within 24" inches? and then after that you succumb to your opponent charging your dread that now has no cc weapon? I think the assault cannon should ONLY be paired with the DCCW. I actually also considered that type of list as well. 3 ironclads, 3 regular dreads with assault cannon/DCCW Put the ironclads in drop pods and get 2 of them in immediately and then while my opponent is dealing with them, move 3 regular dreads up with relative ease. I think the ironclads really shine against horde armies especially, and I have considered running them just stock...but I do love the double heavy flamers from time to time. I dunno, maybe i'll just run 3 ironclads and 3 bare bones regular dreads as well. From a modeling perspective...it'd be a lot cheaper to just buy a bunch of AoBR dreads and not have to dish out the 40 bucks.

Ran a 5 dread list at a recent tourney and won 2/3. It was 1850, only 1 dread was venerable. Still managed to cram 4 troop choices, 2 razorbacks, telion and a pair of landspeeders into it.

One memorable game started with a ballsy opponent dropping 3 pods, aiming for 6" in front of my line (he went first). My turn: Unload some multimelta death on the 1 dread he dropped and got the other two tac squads in h2h with dreadnoughts (he didn't bring power fists or meltabombs).

Guest TheRevenant
I would also give most of them the cheaper Assault Cannon rather than Lascannon, it is just as good against armour...

Any proof to support this statement?

I would also give most of them the cheaper Assault Cannon rather than Lascannon, it is just as good against armour...

Any proof to support this statement?

Math-Hammer.

% Chance of getting a Kill per shooting phase with each weapon is

Range, . . 24”, . . 48”

Weapon, Ass Cannon, . TLLC

AV14,. . . 4.94%, . . 4.94%

AV13,. . . 9.88%, . . 9.88%

AV12,. . . 14.81%, .. 14.81%

AV11,. . . 14.81%, .. 19.75%

AV10,. . . 29.63%, .. 24.69%

Number of kills against troops...

GEQ, . . . 2.22, . . 0.74

MEQ, . . . 1.04, . . 0.74

T5 Troops, 0.67, . . 0.74

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking over the information here because I'm tempted to run the Chaos equivalent of it, 3 Dreadnoughts and 3 Defilers, but I'm not sure I can rely on the crazy Dreadnoughts as well as the sane Loyalist versions.

Overall do you think that just having enough walkers on the table is enough to make it competitive or does it turn into a game of paper, rock, scissor where you can crush some armies and get crushed by others?

Well Dreads, as vehicles, do bring certian rock paper scissor qualities, like all vehicles. Call vehicles rock, then if the enemy brings enough anti-tank (paper) then they can deal with all your rocks. Thats just a metagame fact though, not a comentary on dreads in particular.

6 Chaos dreads did pretty good from what I remember of the last GT, the guy had 3 defilers, 3 dreads, 2 lash princes, and a greater daemon at 1750. I think he nick named it 'monster mash' or some such.

6 Chaos dreads did pretty good from what I remember of the last GT, the guy had 3 defilers, 3 dreads, 2 lash princes, and a greater daemon at 1750. I think he nick named it 'monster mash' or some such.

Oh really? Interesting. I didn't know anyone tried to run one competitively.

Hey Captain Idaho,

What happened to your avatar?

I didn't recognise you!

On the topic of chaos walkers, do they get the same kind of ranged weapons as the loyalists?

If not, can you just stay away, or is the only way to get rid of them by getting up close with a powerfist/thunderhammer?

Or scouts with meltabombs?

Cheers, Paul.

I just love Transformers and felt like a change!

The Chaos Dreads have very similar weapon upgrades and an extra attack over Loyalist Dreads. However, they are more unpredicatible, having that chance their Plasma Cannon will shoot twice at the nearest unit etc. 3 of them increases those odds massively, so don't expect them to have weapons that are really that scary to our troops, as that would mean they are just as scary to theirs!

Whatever you do don't attack them with units using melta bombs! They only hit on a 6 and that means you are likely to do nothing! Powerfists are important as a counter attack, but to be honest you are best off shooting the Dreads dead first before charging those who escape your firepower. A Defiler is actually pretty rubbish in close combat, being WS 3, so you can quite easily smash them with a counter charge from your own Dreads and your powerfists are more likely to hit etc.

So shoot those Dreads and charge the Defilers if you can.

A Terminator assault squad is good with their storm shields.

Archived