Lash of Submission Query

Hello,

I have been using a Daemon Prince with Lash of Submission and my opponents have been unhapy by its affect, as I am sure you can all guess.

Although most of thier complaints were along the lines of "no way" and "that is so . . . ", there was one question that did make me think.

When using the Lash it states that "the target is moved 2D6 inches by the chaos player", but does this mean that you have to move the whole unit to a new location on the board in the same formation or can you move a character to the front, bunch the unit up (so that a template wpn will have greater effect) or move them into any formation?

So people what do we think?

Thanks for reading! :D

first of all . we dont know how lash works because Gw decided its going to be "fun" to make FAQs unofficial rules.

but does this mean that you have to move the whole unit to a new location on the board in the same formation

If that was true then you better have a robot ready because there is no way your going put the models in the same formations 2d6" away . Its one of those "and the game crashes" moments.

move them into any formation?

thats what is used by most people for sake of sanity and yes if a character is the part of the unit then you can move it the same way as any other model in that unit.

Iron_Chaos_Brute - you could make chaos symbols when you move them! This could lead to a new trend. :)

Thats cool I was just checking, man this is an evil power. What a shame it is just for chaos hahaha.

Anyone got any tips on some good placing of moved units?

Hi

Don't play Chaos Marines but the obvious one is to put the unit into dangerous terrain, takes a dangerous terrain test going in, and one going out too. Had a guy pull that on my bikes once. Or if you can walk a heavy weapon unit out of LOS, wastes a turn of them firing, and with the range on the lash you should be able to get his Devastators with it on turn 1

Depends on your other units in the army. You could move the unit closer to your berzerkers so they can charge the unit, or bunch them up and put as many blasts on them as possible.

Moving it to dangerous terrain for dangerous terrain tests is one of the worst uses ive heard of....

Move them out of cover!! Then low ap weapons will have maxium effect of course.

You could also keep an enemy assault unit at distance so you can shoot longer on it with sonic blasters for example.

The lash doesnt require any kind of tactical thinking becouse its so overpowered that its crazy.

If your going to use lash then take 9 oblis and lash groups togethers for plasma cannons.

Lash is le lame and im a chaos player my self.

PALL = People agains lame lashing

But... Lash is a fantastic thing!

I like to lash beakies and put 'em in collision inminent place for the zerkers or slaanesh claw termies to crack 'em...

I for one don't complain about lash (except for lists where the only slaanesh mini is the lash one). It's cool and after all it's just a tool, like tank IG lists, SM new special characters or the likes.

Yes the FAQs are not rules (unlike erratas) however to tell a player that they should not use the FAQ--which explains exactly how lash works--for a less clear defination that contrasts with how everyone else plays it, is a really bad idea.

Yes Lash is broken powerful and should probably be restricted/banned all together for the sake of fair play (along with a lot of other stuff); however if you go to any kind of organized play, they WILL follow the FAQ AND allow twin lash. So basicly to deviate from this method means you wish to play by house rules--which is fine if both players agree and understand they are no longer playing the same way everyone else is.

And finally, if you are in a tourney situation then you get what you get, but in friendly games, if you feel strongly about lash, why play it with it or against it in the first place? Games are a 2 way street... instead of changing the rules that you dont like why not play a different HQ? There is certianly more than winged lash princes and biker lash sorcs in the chaos marine book to pick as your HQ.

I'm with you. I REALLY miss the previous codex. It was fantastic.

I know a lot (A LOT) of people that disagree... did you ever have the pleasure of fighting 2 siren princes? Or any cheesed iron warrior list? The previous book's power builds were NOT balanced, nor fun to play against, and very confusing due to all the variant lists and wargear. The new book, with the single exception of lash of submission, is much better.

The way it was described to me, the best system for 40k would be a magic style tourney system, where there are different levels of play and many cards that are banned or restricted. If such as system was instated, lash for example would be either banned or restricted to 1 only. Basicly, any time a build popped up that simply dominated, it would be banned and/or limited. Nob bikers, for example, would be limited to 1 unit, well before it went on to win 3 some GTs, Pedro Kantor would be banned, lash princes would be restricted to 1, checkerboarding would be banned, kustom force fields would be banned, ect ect. The goal is that anything that exceeds a certian power level is banned or restricted so as not to upset balance.

Obviously such a system is based on mutual consent for friendly games or is part of the tourney packet. I know the UK heat FAQ changed several rules, such as the checkerboarding rule. I think we need more restriction for organized play, but opposition to change is tough to overcome.

The previous book was a bit over powered yes but it had something this book doesnt have...variety.

I can go for a sorc with a psy power, lord with a demon weapon or a prince, i can custom equip my lord with demon powers and what have you witch was a shame in the new codex but its a good codex never the less.

I really really really love the fact that your basic marine got both CC weapons and a bolter PLUS nades for just 15 points.

Oh and back to lash, its still pritty lame and can be abused in some pritty nasty ways, plus people dont like it when you dont have control of your own models and I have to agree.

Ps. This is writen 0400 in the morning so please dont mind the misspelling :)

I've been using the lash for about six months and it is a fantastic tactical tool. Naysayers are a pain, but what most people miss is that your HQ slot, which should be a close combat, tip of the spear powerhouse is relegated to sticking out of a rhino ordering the enemy around. If he's lashing, he's not in combat which is where he makes his points back. If he's in combat, he's not lashing. Besides, how else do you kill storm shield spam, or Eldrad's seer council of doom? Plasma guns? Please! You have your uber units and us chaos players have ours.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived