Cato Valdor of the Knights Scorpio (mk2)

Angels_Blade

Hey everyone,

Been away so it's been a while since I've posted but i assure you i've been hard at work!

If you remember a while back I made a mini for the leader of the Scorpio Ferrus (1st company) in my chapter the Knights Scorpio called Cato Valdor who was supposedly a bad ass terminator of death. (see below)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o138/mustanguk/PB170049.jpg

I liked it but i really felt like he wasn't mean enough. This is a bit of background from my wip IA article

Cato Valdor, Seneschal of the Council Guard

The Champion of the Scorpio Ferrous, Cato Valdor, is universally considered to be the single most skilled and courageous warrior in the entire brotherhood of the Chapter. As an instructor-sergeant, trapped, unarmoured, amongst the practice cages of the lower decks with only a pair of unpowered longswords – the traditional duelling weapons of his homeworld – he fought through several dozen genestealer hybrids and corrupted brethren to reach the command decks with a warning of what had occurred. Inducted into the Iron Scorpions, he swiftly achieved the rank of Champion of the Council Guard, and now no-one in the Chapter – not even First Captain Kalten – can approach his skill with blade or power hammer. Despite this, Valdor is a brother of great humility, rumoured to have refused a Captaincy more than once to remain in the Council Guard, where he can bring his prodigious skill in combat to bear – and (though he would never accept the suggestion) the inspiration he brings to his battle-brothers – on the most dangerous of the Chapter’s enemies. The only honour beyond his rank that he has accepted is to fight as the Chapter’s champion in the Feast of Blades in 749.M41, where he won great respect both for himself and the Knights Scorpio; besting several other Champions and being defeated only by the legendary Hervald Strom himself.

Well I have now updated him to represent Calgar.

It took a while but i'm really really pleased with the result, Honour Guard are done but currently in the cabinet of GW preston so will try to post pics on saturday.

Anyway I present to you the new and very much improved Cato Valdor!

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o138/mustanguk/SL380765.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o138/mustanguk/SL380768.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o138/mustanguk/SL380769.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o138/mustanguk/SL380771.jpg

Size Comparison

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o138/mustanguk/SL380773.jpg

C&C welcome as always!

AB.

let me see:

head -- forgeworld commader culln

horsehair crest-- from the captain sicarius model

standard terminator chestplate

a shield bit from the black templar (or assault terminator) box

shoulder pad with the banner is from the dark angels sprues (ravenwing?)

the kneepads are modified from the company champion shoulders (command squad box)

cape is from the terminator chaos lord box, as are the legs of the model

crotchplate is from the assault terminator box

calgars powerfists obviously, except modified with red scorpions icons from forgeworld.

the leg ornaments appear to be accessories from the command squad box (the laurel leaf and aquila)

a purity seal

and lastly the other shoulder pad is another dreadnought leg plate, again with a red scorpion icon

fantastic looking conversion angel, but what are you going to do with the original captain model?

Well that pretty much sums it up -

I started with the plastic chaos terminator lord and filed the legs smoothish and removed the knee pads with a scalpel

I then heat bent a resin FW scorpion icon around the right greave and filed an eagle from the pastic sm captain flatish for the other side. I cut the champion from the command squads pads to fit the knee joints to beef the legs up

The torso is a terminator sgts brest plate and the chaos lords back and cloak

The groin plate is the termi sgt from the Assault sqd

The head is commander cullen

The shoulder pads are dreadnought leg plates - 1 from the ravenwing set and one from the dreadnought with another resin symbol

The crest is off scarius

Black templar shield on the left shoulder.

Calgars arms with ammo feeds removed with a brass etching replacing the ultra symbol on the right fist.

The oringinal Cato is now the Captain of the 6th company

Thanks for the comments so far! I never get many reples so thanks for those who have I have converted an honour guard squad for him as well and will be posting pics in this thread on saturday night.

Cheers AB

I guess I'm the only one who prefers the previous incarnation (minus the rather plain hammer). I guess it's probably due to how little Gold is on this new incarnation plus the fact the oversized kneepads make it look like has to waddle...

That's a really, really nice set of models ya got there!

I have to say, though, that I think the first terminator looks to be a better piece. Although he is lacking something that would give him the IC appeal, the pose is incredibly, incredibly striking.

And the second one ain't half-bad either... I really dig those shoulders and the holy cod-piece. But, I gotta say it (and I hope it doesn't make ya too upset)... am I the only one that thinks he looks like he's workin overtime to drop some kids off at the pool?

It's a really well done and well painted model, my only gripe is that I think it's too... busy. The Dreadnaught leg plates and the Champion shoulder pads on the knees just makes the army look way too bulky even for a Terminator though somehow the laurel and the scorpion symbol on the leg seem flat and smoothly done and don't look too bulked out from the leg to look awkward.

Also Knights Scorpio? I liked the old Steel Scorpions name better. :whistling:

Beautiful, beautifulmini - I personally love the bulk, as it screams "ornate 10,000 year old suit of TDA" to me in a way that very few minis do.

Actually, and I'm not really sure why, but this guy is making me think of Horus; maybe it's the size, maybe it's the sheer badassery, but the fact I look at him and think Primarch is probably about as high a bit of praise as I can offer.

Keep up the fantastic work, and I look forward to seeing more (and reading more about your chapter).

I guess I'm the only one who prefers the previous incarnation (minus the rather plain hammer). I guess it's probably due to how little Gold is on this new incarnation plus the fact the oversized kneepads make it look like has to waddle...

I agree, the newer one looks pants compared to the older version, sure it's a "counts as Marneus Calgar", but who really would field a Calgar with shoulder pads for kneepads...

bring back the old one... looks better...

But change the hammer to a sword or a similar Power weapon, maybe a maul...

Arenis

how many Dreadnoughts are there walking round with bare shins because of you? i like the knee pads, they make him look nice and bulky. kind of like cricket pads.

am looking forward to seeing your Ariborne guard. where are you going to post pics of them thought?!

This is an amazing conversion! Very well done :D ^_^

and filed an eagle from the pastic sm captain flatish

Say what? What eagle piece?

Also, could you have done this and kept the ammo belts to the bolters?

As I plan to do (basically) the same conversion, I would like to keep the ammo belts but they are presenting the biggest problem to me.

Also, could you have done this and kept the ammo belts to the bolters?

Yes and no. You can but not with the cloak as they protrude out of the back to far. With careful filing you could probably make them fit though

Cheers for the nice comments

AB

Archived