Sub optimal Dread Configurations

waaanial00

Hi all,

Due to my converting efforts on my new Ironclad I am left with enough bits to create a dread with Missile Launcher and Multi Melta. I am loathe to buy more bits to turn him into a hellfire which got me thinking... Is there a place for Multi Melta and Missile Launcher?

Its not a regular configuration with its Krak missile falling as a tank buster in the face of the Multi Melta and its Multi Melta being complete overkill when the missile is fragging. It also has no CC staying power and cannot hope to compete against MEQ and TEQ without the CC arm.

Given all this does it have a tactical application or should I just get a TL Lascannon and be done with it?

Does anyone else run strange weapon configurations on their dreads?

Wan

yea I run alot of configurations for my 6 dreads and i have then not all glued so i can change them as much as i want. the first thing i did was actually try a hell fire dread and it worked awesome. i played against another SM army in an apocalypse battle. He had about 15 rhinos and they were filled with tactical squads and they also had some devestators, and i had 3 hell fires going on and i took out about 7 or 8 rhinos in the first 2 turns. I also was running of course the lascannon and missile launcher combo also which was a beast at taking out other armored vehicles in 40k.

I at one point was trying the multi melta and missle launcher or lascannon and multi melta. The reason i liked it for most of the time was because it had long range kill ability and when you got within 24 inches of it it also had another devestating shot against alot of stuff so it winded working out well.

I honestly prefer as a dread running person to have a few dreads with a CC weapon and most likely a heavy flamer on hand with it.

but the point you make on having that dread with the MM and ML is a very nice combo abd it might be a little overkill but it sure will take out alot of things before it goes bye bye

The nice thing about the Multi-Melta/Missile Launcher combo is how cheap it is. 115 points I think? Thats a steal for 2 S8 weapons. Sure the range doesn't match perfectly, but you can also move 6" and fire both weapons, so the effective minimum range is really 30". People always talk about getting within 1/2 range with a Multi-Melta for the bonus and while that is a good idea, S8 AP1 with no bonus is hardly a weak shot and against anything other than AV14 you're going to kill them 50% of the time when you get a penetrating hit thanks to AP1.

I have an AoBR dreadnought, with multimelta and cc wep+storm bolter. Since it's painted, it's probably going to be a part of my list at the upcoming tourney. WYSIWYG is the rule, so there's no avoiding this combination.

What I wanna know is; how would you best use a dread like that? March it alongside your army and use his 24" multimelta to threathen or herd vehicles where you want them, or put it in a drop pod?

What I wanna know is; how would you best use a dread like that? March it alongside your army and use his 24" multimelta to threathen or herd vehicles where you want them, or put it in a drop pod?

Pod it. Loyalists are SO lucky to have Drop Pods :P abuse the crap out of that for your Dreadnought. This gets him up close and ready to use is Multi-Melta or assault something. I'd target him behind the scariest vehicle in the opponent's army.

I am definintely with Minigun on the Pod it vote. Most if not all of my Dreads will be Pod Dep[loyed when I finally assemble and paint the three I have. In my proxy games deploying all types of dread other than Hellfire (TL Lascannon and Missile Launcher or TL Autocannon) via pod has allowed them to do what they seem to do best for me. Gun down something nasty on the first turn and then take the massive amount of fire from the enemy which allows my Rhinos and other Vehicles to avoid getting pasted in turn 1.

I think my next investment will be magnets so that if I decide the MM is not for me I can swap it at a later date however the 115 price tag is just plain dirty (didnt have the codex on me whilst I was writing this). This dread might actually solve some of my tank busting issues.... hmmm

The problem with the multimelta+cc wep dread is that it's just a regular dread. 12 front armor, no inbuilt extra armor, no move through cover, no venerable. Just seems so easy to destroy if droppoded into the enemy. ^_^

@tutteman - Are we talking Heavy Flamer on its own instead of the multimelta? I dont have codex with me but this sounds like an interesting choice and a definite candidate for drop pod deployment. The pod will cut down on its main negative attribute of being a short range Dread. There are also few people who will be happy about two S5 AP4 Templates cooking up their troops after landing in their deployment zone and it should mean that it ends up being one helpful distraction unit for a measly 150 price tag (assuming that it is replacing Multimelta with Heavy Flamer for free).

Running such a Dread against Hoards would be a very useful investment although MEQ dont exactly get off lightly with the fact that you will be wounding on 3+ and with MEQ every kill counts because they are that much more expensive :)

As you have pointed out though this Dread is the daddy in Cities of Death, only beaten by the Dual heavy flamer Ironclad (move through cover, Defensive and Offensive grenades, greater armour and more attacks)

Sorry, forgot I'd posted this until I saw the thread again. Anyway, yes this would be the free twin Linked Heavy flamer and the DCCW heavy flamer and I made such a dread as part of a modeling project and suddenly had a thought. My local GW has lots of city boards and I thought that it could be nasty against 4+ save troops. No save and no cover :D

Now I don't have a drop pod due to money constraints. 16 years old, in school with no job B) But I suppose that could be another modeling project :D

Oh and thanks

I've been using the TL HF + HF dread for a little while now. It does put down a fantastic amount of death for GEQs but it invariably gets killed straight after.

It's a fair few points (and 2 KPs) for a distraction. Two or three coming down together might do better.

Archived