HQ vs. Troops

Ransom

I've been building a variety of lists lately and have come across a dilemma at the 1500 points range:

Do I take 4 troops or do I take a second HQ?

For example (don't judge this list too seriously):

The "No Rubrics" Club

Demon Prince

Termicide (3 termies)

'Zerkers

Plague Marines

Noise Marines

Chaos Marines

Oblit x2

Vindicator

Now this all totals up to approx 1500 (I'll leave it up to your imagination as to gear, assume rhinos for all troops)

Now what is the better option drop a troops, taking away a scoring unit and fodder.

or add an HQ, more killy/support but most likely to die faster(?)

yah i agree, anything over 1850 is when you can safely add a second HQ, how about beefing up the troop choices you have already? you'd need to tell us how many you have in each squad currently. another termiecide squad would serve you well if your 4 troop choice have good numbers already.

Thanks for all the replies.

yah i agree, anything over 1850 is when you can safely add a second HQ, how about beefing up the troop choices you have already? you'd need to tell us how many you have in each squad currently. another termiecide squad would serve you well if your 4 troop choice have good numbers already.

Cornelias, its not a matter of adding anything, my list is at full points. It's more a matter of dropping a troop choice to field a second HQ.

Ok so concensus is one HQ at 1500 or less. Now when we beef up to say 1700+ we add another HQ, at what point would people consider a 5th troop or would points continue to be dumped into elite/heavies?

at what point would people consider a 5th troop or would points continue to be dumped into elite/heavies?

I think you can get buy with 4 full sized scoring units at 1700+, so going with some Elites/Heavies is not a bad thing at all.

I find myself spending about 1/2 my total points on Troops and as each squad comes out to around 250ish points if mounted in a Rhino I'd probably have 4, maybe 5 at 2000 points.

EDIT: A VERY rough estimate could be something like this, 10% on HQ, 50% on Troops, 40% on the rest (usually 20/20 with Elites/Heavies)

Chaos HQs are kinda weird in the newest book. The popular choice has recently been two Lash Princes, followed by units that can directly benefit from their effect.

I have been using Abaddon at 1850+ and with his cost and effectiveness, don't need the second one.

If you are using Rhinos for all of your squads, you may consider reducing a Cult unit down to 9 and having them accompanied by a cheaper, power-armored HQ with twin claws or a daemon weapon.

- Blackbone

Archived