[ARTWORK] Studio Colrouphobia roughs and sketches

Its got that whole "Nosferatu" thing going for him,...dont get me wrong, its great, I'm just not sure if that is the theme you are going for. If it is, then by all means, carry on. It looks great either way,...I wouldnt want to turn a corner and run into that guy. :)

Severus6

Cool. I always enjoy your posts.

Maybe it just looks evil because it a rough draft? Maybe too much glow to the eyes?

Regardless, I'll be watching this thread.

Better days,

I think it´s great. VERY atmospheric.

One thing I would change would be to make the collar broader, and lower the head a bit. At the moment he would have to have a very long neck to fit in the armor.

That face is very evil. Not necessarily salamandery, but I love it.

Cheers, yeah, it's the red-glowing eyes that does it I guess...

Nice one. I agree the face is evil. Tone that down and he is good to go.

Also, 250 views and 2 replies!?

Well, it's not done yet... you'll see he'll turn out Salamander yet ;)

Its got that whole "Nosferatu" thing going for him,...dont get me wrong, its great, I'm just not sure if that is the theme you are going for. If it is, then by all means, carry on. It looks great either way,...I wouldnt want to turn a corner and run into that guy. ;)

Severus6

No, not going for Nosferatu, going for the GW description "pitchblack skin and red glowing eyes". Ill try to stay away from the vampiric stuff...

Cool. I always enjoy your posts.

Maybe it just looks evil because it a rough draft? Maybe too much glow to the eyes?

Regardless, I'll be watching this thread.

Better days,

Rough draft can be it.

i see less evil, and more staring into your soul - if not slightly vacant observation.

Yes, staring into soul works. :P

He looks more like a member of the Fallen than a Sallie! :P

Looks great though mate, good work.

Ah, that would be th egreen I think, though wheren't the fallen still wearing black armour?

He's looking great mate. :)

I don't think that he looks evil at all personally, if anything he looks very sombre.

Ah, excellent, that's exactly what I was going for!

I agree with Doghouse, he doesnt look evil really. Just dark and very imposing. Good work! I find it interesting that you modified the armor a bit (specifically the neckguard thing). Having it smaller makes it look better in my opinion.

Cheers!

++EDIT++

Although it seems hard to fit a helmet on it...

Yeah, this is a rough draft. The neck will be fixed, the shoulderpads will be drawn out somewhat. It's just a basic sketch really, hence it is in this topic in the WiP section ;)

I think it´s great. VERY atmospheric.

One thing I would change would be to make the collar broader, and lower the head a bit. At the moment he would have to have a very long neck to fit in the armor.

Yep, the neck is one thing to be solved. :)

Cheers guys. I'm in a little hectic moment right now, meaning end of deadlines within two days, hence nothing really new from me just now.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I posted somehing new a little while ago (or rather, Drachenfell did) in the Hall of Honor part of the forum...

Here is a personal project.

This is VERY early in the painting:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/548446/Jagathai-preview004.jpg

Guess who ^_^

oooh... loving the crest coming off the neck armour, very nice take on it :) as for the faces, spot on, i see you have thoroughly researched them :)

also your WIP salie looks great, very moody and alloof (sp?)... great work sir :)

oooh... loving the crest coming off the neck armour, very nice take on it :) as for the faces, spot on, i see you have thoroughly researched them :)

also your WIP salie looks great, very moody and alloof (sp?)... great work sir :)

Cheers!

Yeah, I researched, both White Scars in general, and also faces, costumes, tokens and gadgets from the general region of Mongolia-Tibet-China, trying to get the best representation of the Khan and his two companions-in-arms' facial-features and armour. There will be some spartan "bling" on them and I'm looking to get that "Hun" sensation about them.

The most worrying, and most demanding, part of the painting is to get the white armour look good. White is really difficult to paint and make look natural and realistic. Second most difficult is to ge the faces look real, I'm used to doing faces bt not East-Asian faces. Good training :)

Wow, just wow.

Those White Scars look just stunning, EXACTLY how i imagined the White Scars chapter to look. The faces all look spot on and the armour around the neck looks great, aswell as the crest. I am looking forward to seeing more on this one!

i will say col, the one thing that impresses me most about your work, isn't the overall look but the attention you seem to pay in researching, it realy comes across in the final piece that you have thought long and hard about what should be there and how to render them realisticly rather than just draw what you think should be there... and yes those faces are very nicely done (i have a degree in art... well animation but near enough) i remember from life drawing how hard it was to draw something you weren't used to seeing (and i don't just mean 20 stone lesbians who seem to like trying to eat your skittles mid way through a lesson).

one thing i would suggest having had more time to look at them is that based on the fluff the white scars use lots of horse tails, so possibly use a horses skull atop the banner pole, it could be a subtle link to the mongol sde of thier background.

the slightly off white armour also looks great so much kudos on you for pulling it off really well.

i really need to get a waccom... been so long since i drew in photoshop and its not entirely great to use a normal mouse :lol:

i really look forward to seeing your work progress and i must say that you do an exceptional job :lol:

Amazing stuff! I love both of those, but especially the Salamander.

I think the sallies armour is a bit too dark though, eh?

As for him looking "evil," I would not worry; evil is both subjective, and not really that inappropriate for 8 foot tall bio-engineered killing machines, ya know?

Cheers guys, it will take me quite a while to complete the WS painting, as it is a personal project (need to pay bills so paid work comes first), but I'm happy you like how it looks right now.

i will say col, the one thing that impresses me most about your work, isn't the overall look but the attention you seem to pay in researching, it realy comes across in the final piece that you have thought long and hard about what should be there and how to render them realisticly rather than just draw what you think should be there... and yes those faces are very nicely done (i have a degree in art... well animation but near enough) i remember from life drawing how hard it was to draw something you weren't used to seeing (and i don't just mean 20 stone lesbians who seem to like trying to eat your skittles mid way through a lesson).

one thing i would suggest having had more time to look at them is that based on the fluff the white scars use lots of horse tails, so possibly use a horses skull atop the banner pole, it could be a subtle link to the mongol sde of thier background.

the slightly off white armour also looks great so much kudos on you for pulling it off really well.

i really need to get a waccom... been so long since i drew in photoshop and its not entirely great to use a normal mouse ;)

i really look forward to seeing your work progress and i must say that you do an exceptional job :tu:

Cheers, yeah, you are right about the difficulties about painting something you don't see every day. I live in Northern Europe and so we obviously don't have that many East-Asian guys running around here- go google! ;)

About the horsetails and the skull on that pole-

The guy in the front is not a "regular" White scar marine... he is a storm-seer. As such, I tried to emanate the neck guard/psychic hood to look like it does (there will be some cabling on it when I get to it) and also the skull on the staff he is wearing is based upon the staff of a Storm-seer found in a painting I think I found in the Index Astartes article about the White Scars (IA or Chapter Approved... can't remember, scanned it from a mate and saved the images), though horsetails are among that "bling" I was talking about ;)

Cheers guys, there will be a little less here for the next week as I'm going abroad for meetings with art directors for some projects I work on, bu after that I might be getting some more images to show for you, as well as some updates (the White Scar is a wip that I'm showing more on Ordo Illuminatus of, sort of an introduction in my workflow ver there... look for it I'm sure you can find links to it somewhere (maybe eve in this topic? I forget where I link to it...)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived