[ARTWORK] Studio Colrouphobia roughs and sketches

Im waiting to get funds enough to be able to buy a good Wacom pad for my PC, then I'll join you in the creation of sweet WH40K artwork ;)

Your stuff is great so far, I really like the sloppyish style ^_^

Im waiting to get funds enough to be able to buy a good Wacom pad for my PC, then I'll join you in the creation of sweet WH40K artwork :D

Your stuff is great so far, I really like the sloppyish style :lol:

You are welcome to join the ranks ;)

Not sure if Im to be flattered or not by that quote though... these are sketches and such, and not at all representative of my finished works so I'm not sure what you mean by "sloppyish" style...

Hey colrouphobic, great stuff here

i love you work, all that you've done here and on illuminatus

To help a hand i think what Müller means by 'sloppyish style' is that art these days is seen as things that have nice crisp edges and are perfections of things that can be seen etc etc. but yout pieces dont seem to have the very crisp edges they have the brush strokes over the edges.... a very rough and ready style rather than sloppy.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Cpt X

Im waiting to get funds enough to be able to buy a good Wacom pad for my PC, then I'll join you in the creation of sweet WH40K artwork ;)

Your stuff is great so far, I really like the sloppyish style ;)

Not sure if Im to be flattered or not by that quote though... these are sketches and such, and not at all representative of my finished works so I'm not sure what you mean by "sloppyish" style...

Don't listen to others, your work is terrific.

substitue "sloppyish" for "Painterly" and youre there <_<

I think youre work is good, and looks like a traditional painting with visible brush strokes and objects defined by blocks of colour, i like this and work this way myself. people arent used however to seeing images like that and think everything should have a photo-real airbrushed sheen to it :)

get used to the "rough" comments, and learn to take them as compliments.

if i might offer some advice - your initial image clearly shows you have some skills, and is imo the strongest of those posted so far, the reason being it is also compositionally strong. take some time to read a couple of magazines/website. http://www.imaginefx.com/ is both and is a good place to start, look specifically for articles on composition, :)

if i might offer some advice - your initial image clearly shows you have some skills, and is imo the strongest of those posted so far, the reason being it is also compositionally strong. take some time to read a couple of magazines/website. http://www.imaginefx.com/ is both and is a good place to start, look specifically for articles on composition, <_<

Col actually featured in IFX #41 - he wrote about it in his Illuminatus thread. :)

Hey colrouphobic, great stuff here

i love you work, all that you've done here and on illuminatus

To help a hand i think what Müller means by 'sloppyish style' is that art these days is seen as things that have nice crisp edges and are perfections of things that can be seen etc etc. but yout pieces dont seem to have the very crisp edges they have the brush strokes over the edges.... a very rough and ready style rather than sloppy.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Cpt X

cheers

Your stuff is great so far, I really like the sloppyish style ;)

Don't listen to others, your work is terrific.

cheers

substitue "sloppyish" for "Painterly" and youre there ;)

I think youre work is good, and looks like a traditional painting with visible brush strokes and objects defined by blocks of colour, i like this and work this way myself. people arent used however to seeing images like that and think everything should have a photo-real airbrushed sheen to it :)

get used to the "rough" comments, and learn to take them as compliments.

if i might offer some advice - your initial image clearly shows you have some skills, and is imo the strongest of those posted so far, the reason being it is also compositionally strong. take some time to read a couple of magazines/website. http://www.imaginefx.com/ is both and is a good place to start, look specifically for articles on composition, :)

yeah, like stated elsewhere in this topic, these are mainly here to show how I start my paintings. composition is my main mantra and IFX is a good spot to find info on composition, but cgsociety actually has one of the best articles on composition I have seen, I'll post it once Im back from abroad.

Col actually featured in IFX #41 - he wrote about it in his Illuminatus thread. :)

yeah, cheers mol *blush* it was a small article really...

• 4 weeks later...

Just something new, not really completed and not really meant to go further with it (maybe I will but it isn't planned in any case).

This is for a WSG activity over at the Illuminatus-boards. The topic of this week was/is Ornate Armour.

Just thought I'd post something for WSG fr once...

Idea-

The Ghost Sons Chapter are a very sombre lot, their armour ranging in shades of grey and black without any form of adornment apart from chapterbadge ( |><| ) and squadmarking.

Instead, it is the duty of their Chaplains, their Bards, to tell of the stories of glory and valour, it is the duty of the Bards to display all splendour of adornment and ornate fabrics showing the great history of the chapter and its deeds.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e44/colrouphobic/KWSG/4d5da945.jpg

This is a Chaplain/Bard of the Ghost Sons. His armour, though jet-black; just like any Chaplain in any given Chapter of Space Marines, is covered in different draperies and markings, usually colourful, turning him in to a colourful display of pride in the honour of the Chapter on the battlefield.

Obviously quite sketchy.

I tried to set myself up with a brief a bit more specific and it was a long while since I painted a chaplain...

as always, very well done sir! my only gripe with it is the mask. the teeth (or whatever) just look like they are going to start drooling... Sorrry if this sounds mean, but just not a fan of the bottom part of the mask. otherwise, it's good stuff!

• 3 months later...

Here is a new WiP.

CSM.

The Khan piece will be worked on after this one (it was on backburner since I heard Aerion-the-Faithful was painting Khan. Now it is done and he put it up (you should locate it, it looks great!) and so I will continue...

But firts-

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e44/colrouphobic/WH40k/newCSM-preview-001.jpg

Archived