Pedro Kantor

tortoise

How much do you want for it? :P

:lol: I'm flattered but its not for sale I'm afraid, although judging from the smilie you might well be joking (I'm too old to understand smilies).

Yeah, I'm joking. I'm very satisfied with my Kantor model. In fact, he's the background on my phone... I'm a loser aren't I? ^_^

hell, I don't even know how to get a background on my phone!

Crimson cartel- I have a slightly different approach to painting the chips than most people. I start with 3 tones of brownish grey and apply them where I think they look right. Then I shade the top with a very dark grey brown. Some of the chips get a bestial brown 'highlight' to represent rust and discolouration. The bottom of the chip is then highlighted in a very light version of the base colour although this varies depending on the surrounding area's tone. I then add another highlight to the most prominent part of the chip. So for example, on the chips at the top of his thighs the 'underline is lighter toward the top where it meets the edge of the armour plate.

Finally I add some thin lines of the lighter colour to represent smaller scratches.

The dust and dirt is added using vallejo Yellow-green. This is painted on in very thin layers using the translucency of the paint to blend with the base colour. Grey tones are then added for the highlights. On the legs the paint is dappled somewhat to represent different thicknesses of mud and dirt.

Hope that helps.

How much do you want for it? :P

:tu: I'm flattered but its not for sale I'm afraid, although judging from the smilie you might well be joking (I'm too old to understand smilies).

Yeah, I'm joking. I'm very satisfied with my Kantor model. In fact, he's the background on my phone... I'm a loser aren't I? B)

I think its quite worthy of the background of your phone. Its still a bit weird.

(I'm not sure Tortoise is young enough to know what a background is ;) )

Such nicely painted models on the B&C, why must I let these little plastice miniatures distract me....

Messanger

P.S. thank you for sharing your recipe for blue (very different to what i would of thought), gonna use it wen I add some Crimson Fists to my Black Templars (thought girlfriend/fiancee wont let me get any new miniatures for awhile :( ).

Magnificent! Thank you, also, for posting your recipe for the blue. The finish looks great, very "real".

I am curious, though: do you have any suggestions for painting checkerboarding, as you did on the backpack nozzles? They look so neat and crisp, especially for being on a compound curve like that.

Magnificent! Thank you, also, for posting your recipe for the blue. The finish looks great, very "real".

I am curious, though: do you have any suggestions for painting checkerboarding, as you did on the backpack nozzles? They look so neat and crisp, especially for being on a compound curve like that.

Sure. First thin your paint. I mean really thin your paint. Should be like a wash almost. Apply the paint very thinly so it doesn't run off the brush and don't try painting the pattern out with lines before filling them in. I know in WD magazine they always say to paint the lines in first but if you do that the checks will overlap at the corners. Start by painting and filling the first square then at the corner of that one begin the next. Paint the square then fill it before moving on to the next one and paint them all one at a time. If you don't fill them its very hard to get a clear idea of exactly how square they really are. check your pattern from different angles as you add each square- this will also help tell you if they're too rectangular or if the edges aren't straight enough and you can adjust each square as you go. Once you've painted the whole pattern you will need to go over them all a second time if you've been using paint that is the correct consistency. Its easier on the second pass though.

One more thing- I generally wouldn't paint checks using the most contrasting colours. On Kantor the checks are a light grey rather than white. I tend to find high contrast checks almost look like they're floating over the surface of the model and attract too much attention away from the important focal areas like the face.

Archived