General question about Chaos

Sorry for my noobness, since I didn't read too much about Chaos machinations. So I have some questions:

Why we only see human chaos legions? Chaos doesn't predate on every living being, like Tyranids? (I know it's a poor comparison)

Why just the humans had fallen? The DE are evil and such, and we know that a Chaos god came from the Eldar's fault, so why there's no Chaos DE/Eldar? Or the DE are Chaos-tainted already? (I don't know much about them either)

And the Tau? Maybe it's just too early for the Chaos influence to become apparent?

The Orks? Are they immune, from being assexual/fungus? Otherwise, their way of life would be a blast for Chaos influence.

Maybe it's just a overlooked plot hole?

The DE are tainted but I don't think they serve chaos. Kinda like night lords.

Orks are protected by their Gods which are like them, big, tough and frakkin stupid but GIANT WARP ENTITIES!

The Tau have no psychic powers at all and cannot sense the warp so cannot be corrupted.

Although I think some Orks have become tainted now that I think about it... Maybe they're just more resistant.

Orks are protected by their Gods which are like them, big, tough and frakkin stupid but GIANT WARP ENTITIES!

The Tau have no psychic powers at all and cannot sense the warp so cannot be corrupted.

Although I think some Orks have become tainted now that I think about it... Maybe they're just more resistant.

Alot of this is wrong.

The DE serve Slannesh they are not tainted they collect souls to feed Slannesh so she will not eat theirs, it's kind of a "better you then me" thing.

Orkz are protected by an almost child like innocence that Deamons find unappealing.

Tau have a very small warp pressence.

Eldar live a very strict life style to prevent them being tainted.

AS Frozen sz, there are chaos eldar...the DE, corrupted by slanny, that's why the are the way they are.

As for orks, they are a fungus, do they even have a soul to corrupt ??

Tau, I don't know much about them fluffwize, no sense of the warp & no psy pwrs sound good to me.

nids, they are bugs, how do you corrupt a bug ?

If anything the Night Lord comparison is more or less the best with Dark Eldar. They harvest souls which they sacrifice to Slaanesh to prolong their lives and keep Slaanesh from consuming them as Slaanesh thinks Eldar souls are very tasty. So it's kind of a quid pro quo arrangement though I'm not sure what you would define as "tainted" isn't any relationship with a dark god some kind of taint?

I'll offer opinions on all races :).

Or the DE are Chaos-tainted already?

After the fall of the Eldar civilisation the DE fled to the webway where Slaanesh cannot reach then, but they still continued their acts of debasement that led to the birth of Slaanesh. DE are kinda vague to me, I think they may feed on souls to lengthen their life so Slaanesh doesn't consume their souls when they die. Thats all I know about DE but I can tell you that in no way would they worship Chaos, after creating Slaanesh they're pretty fearful of it, they also worship their own Eldar Gods such as Khaine.

EDIT: Other people above have explained DE in more detail :P

And the Tau?

Tau have no psychic powers and have no psyker gene so they're pretty much invisible to the warp thus invisible to the chaos gods. The Tau don't even believe that chaos exists, thinking it's just propaganda that's used to try and scare them. :D

The Orks?

Their own gods protect them (Gork and Mork) also they're own beliefs stop them being tempted. To an ork who only lives to fight and eat which is available to him all the time, what can the Chaos Gods say/do to tempt them. Also orks are resistant to mutation so that acts as a barrier.

Tyranids

Theres the whole hive mind protecting them (which can blot out the warp) and that they have no thoughts of their own to tempt.

Eldar

After the fall and the whole Slaanesh wants to consume their souls, all Eldar despise/fear chaos.

Necrons

They have their own Gods the C'tan, have no/little thoughts of their own, no bodies to mutate and Necrons have technology that can contain the warp, as the C'tan despise the warp. If memory serves me correctly, they built pylons near Cadia (that area) which helps to contain the eye of terror and stop it from expanding. As the Necrons are masters of the material world, the warp is the opposite to them.

Humans

Chaos preys on humans because they provide such juicy targets. Open to temptation, open to mutation, the psyker gene which can go out of control and so allows people to be posessed and also our emotions feed them, which strengthens their powers. Basically, with such an easy, plentiful and useful prey as us, why chase after races which may be more difficult to tempt.

So you need to be able to sense the warp to be susceptible to corruption? I thought it was something more like "we opened the gates to the warp, so the universe is not safe anymore" thing - the warp entities could wander this side (with some help to enter, granted) but since it is here even the Tau would not be safe, I thought.

They are sentient beings (and the kroot, the vespid, the nexttaurelease), and they aren't above good and evil, so they can be seducted, I believe... uh, it makes any sense, at least?

EDIT: I wrote this before your post, Silent Shadow :D well, I understand the idea for the Tau much better now, thanks - but my last question still holds true, I believe.

So you need to be able to sense the warp to be susceptible to corruption? I thought it was something more like "we opened the gates to the warp, so the universe is not safe anymore" thing - the warp entities could wander this side

It's not that you need to sense the warp, it's that the Chaos Gods need to sense you. How do you tempt/corrupt someone/something that's invisible to you and have no easy way of contacting it. Also they don't believe in Chaos so that hinders the Chaos Gods as the Tau just wouldn't believe them when/if they were tempted. (Same for the kroot and the vespid I'd assume)

It's not that easy to exit the warp, a daemon can't just fly out of the warp, as the universe cannot sustain them as they have no link to the warp to provide them with energy. They enter our world either through posessed psykers (count the tau out) or by being summoned and if you have no knowledge of chaos you can't really do that. Otherwise they can't exist outside the warp with nothing to sustain them.

EDIT: Added things.

It's not that you need to sense the warp, it's that the Chaos Gods need to sense you. How do you tempt/corrupt someone/something that's invisible to you and have no easy way of contacting it. Also they don't believe in Chaos so that hinders the Chaos Gods as the Tau just wouldn't believe them when/if they were tempted. (Same for the kroot and the vespid I'd assume)

It's not that easy to exit the warp, a daemon can't just fly out of the warp, as the universe cannot sustain them as they have no link to the warp to provide them with energy. They enter our world either through posessed psykers (count the tau out) or by being summoned and if you have no knowledge of chaos you can't really do that. Otherwise they can't exist outside the warp with nothing to sustain them.

EDIT: Added things.

I see. So the worst scenario for Tau would be some chaos human preachers reaching them, convince and convert them - but the Chaos Gods wouldn't be able to lay their gifts upon them - so those "Chaos Tau" wouldn't be more than just some bad-mannered xenos :D

The Tau would still be susceptible to material corruption. By that i mean they don't have to worry about corruption coming from the warp, but if say or sorcerer or daemon was with them in the material universe it could certainly corrupt them. Remember it has been hinted at that the dawnblade that commander Farsight carriers is actually a daemon weapon and is corrupting him, hence his withdrawel from the tau empire.

The Tau would still be susceptible to material corruption. By that i mean they don't have to worry about corruption coming from the warp, but if say or sorcerer or daemon was with them in the material universe it could certainly corrupt them.

Exactly, they may not be able to be corrupted directly by the Gods but they can be corrupted by people that believe in Chaos and wish to spread the 'Glory' further.

Alot of this is wrong.

The DE serve Slannesh they are not tainted they collect souls to feed Slannesh so she will not eat theirs, it's kind of a "better you then me" thing.

Orkz are protected by an almost child like innocence that Deamons find unappealing.

Tau have a very small warp pressence.

Eldar live a very strict life style to prevent them being tainted.

A lot of this is wrong, too.

Dark Eldar don't serve Slaanesh, they despise he/she/it - the souls they consume bolster THEIR souls - they don't go to Slaanesh instead.

Only some Tau have even a very small warp presence - most have none at all.

Eldar can still be tainted even with the rigerous lifestyles of the Aspect warriors.

Theres the whole hive mind protecting them (which can blot out the warp) and that they have no thoughts of their own to tempt.

However in the Space Wolf novels they enter a hulk which turns out to be infested by Sickly, rotting Genestealers led by what looks like a bloated and rotting brain and hordes of lesser nids of a similar description - Nurgle Nids anyone?

A lot of this is wrong, too.

Dark Eldar don't serve Slaanesh, they despise he/she/it - the souls they consume bolster THEIR souls - they don't go to Slaanesh instead.

Dark Eldar drink souls to stave off this leeching - perhaps by sating the thirst of Slaanesh, or perhaps by replenishing the essence of their own souls with that of the consumed one. -Lexicanum.

Only some Tau have even a very small warp presence - most have none at all.

It is impossible for any living creature to have no warp presence, only pariahs have that honour and only because of the "pariah" gene.

In fact, as a species, the Tau register as barely more than a blip in the warp and it may well be that this has been their saving grace, protecting the altruism and idealism their race shares from the destructive tendencies of chaos. - again Lexicanum

Eldar can still be tainted even with the rigorous lifestyles of the Aspect warriors.

True, but it's very rare and when it dose happen they are usually Eldar Outcasts who lack the guiding light of a Farseer.

Still, Entire Craftworlds have been known to fall. It is just extremely rare.

P.S next time you tell me what I say is wrong you might want to do some research.

K Thanx Bye :)

A lot of the cultists and traitor guard that take part in a battle for a planet usually come from the planet itself. Chaos has not the massive fleets to lug around millions and millions of cultists to every world they are fighting for. Invaders will usually be Chaos Space Marines, the more elite and valuable warriors of chaos. During the first war for Armageddon, as well as on Cadia during the 13th black crusade, a large amount of the population and the planetary forces sided with chaos. That could be one explanation why we don't see a lot of chaos xenos, but usually humans and chaos marines. Plus, Eldar and Orks are much more difficult to corrupt. Eldar because they are very carefull and aware of the threat, other than humanoid populations, and Orks because there is not much they would desire from an alegiance with the dark gods. Their ambitions are simple, and can be fulfilled by their normal life style.

There may be several other xeno species that are as easy corruptable as humans, but they would be extremely rare (humans and orks are the the dominating races in the galaxy, and have supressed pretty much everyone else), and GW is not accounting for races not having a Codex and a line of miniatures. They could theoretically come up with dozens of not yet exticnt xenos and make one or two token miniatures for them, but currently that probably is not worth the effort.

Kroot can be corrupted from what I hear, especially if they feed on the flesh of fallen possessed chaos servants. On the topic of possessed 'Nids, I also heard stories about Typhus' Plague Fleet having possessed and infected Hive Fleet ships in his service. I could see a completely organic ship falling to the powers of Nurgle quite easily.

Kroot can be corrupted from what I hear, especially if they feed on the flesh of fallen possessed chaos servants. On the topic of possessed 'Nids, I also heard stories about Typhus' Plague Fleet having possessed and infected Hive Fleet ships in his service. I could see a completely organic ship falling to the powers of Nurgle quite easily.

True but it isn't as if the Kroot were willingly corrupted due to temptation/trickery, it was due to their natural instinct of consuming their fallen enemies, and eating chaos corrupted flesh is never a good idea. ;)

When I said that Tyranids cannot be corrupted, I meant through free will, they cannot consciously/willingly go over to chaos due to temptations or tricks, because they are largely insentient, taking all their orders from the hive mind. They can be corrupted involuntary though, such as being infected by some sort of virus, IW/Nurgle etc. take your pick, and this corrupts them but it's not like the Tyranids have any concious control over it. :)

True but it isn't as if the Kroot were willingly corrupted due to temptation/trickery, it was due to their natural instinct of consuming their fallen enemies, and eating chaos corrupted flesh is never a good idea. :P

When I said that Tyranids cannot be corrupted, I meant through free will, they cannot consciously/willingly go over to chaos due to temptations or tricks, because they are largely insentient, taking all their orders from the hive mind. They can be corrupted involuntary though, such as being infected by some sort of virus, IW/Nurgle etc. take your pick, and this corrupts them but it's not like the Tyranids have any concious control over it. :D

I remember reading something where a kroot shaper stopped his kindred eating tyranids because they don't smell right, surely they could tell something is wrong with the possessed. I guess some kroot sre dumb ;)

'kay, one thing here is slightly wrong, but you sort of just answered it yourself

Dark Eldar drink souls to stave off this leeching - perhaps by sating the thirst of Slaanesh, or perhaps by replenishing the essence of their own souls with that of the consumed one. -Lexicanum.

That's exactly what I said.

Don't forget there are probably hundreds of thousands of species in the galaxy, and that some of these species worship Chaos as well. Like the Loxatl for instance. Overall, they don't have much of an impact, thus they aren't represented on the tabletop, but they still worship the Chaos Gods IIRC.

So it's not just humans. It's just that humans are most common.

Orks

Orks are pretty simple and their simplicity affords them protection from the temptations of Chaos. Back in RT, some of the Stormboyz were tainted by Khorne, but they were generally pretty resistant to mutation. So they were mostly clean, disciplined Orks that loved to fight. IIRC, most of them "outgrew" the phase if they lived long enough.

Tyranids

Although I don't believe that Tyranids (as a whole) are susceptable to the taint of Chaos, sometimes Genestealers would become tainted. This was usually a "both-eyes-open" type deal where the 'stealers were making a quick grab for power in order to keep the coven alive and kicking or/and to spread their influence further into the galaxy. IIRC, the purestrains weren't usually the point of contact (although they were often mutated and/or gifted by the powers), it was usually a hybrid or brood-brother/brood-sister that brought the taint.

Also IIRC, Genestealers were unique in that worshippers of Khorne could use psychic powers. It was assumed that whatever psyker abilities they gained weren't from Khorne but from a primitive Genestealer power that existed in the warp.

Archived