Night Lords Melta Gunner

Brother Nihm

This is the first model that I've painted since December.

He was painted in 1 day after having been on my shelf, fully assembled and primed for half a year.

gallery_11038_549_25898.jpg

gallery_11038_549_102763.jpg

I'll try and retouch all the errors tomorrow (my eyes are too bleary now :sick:) and hopefully a cosmic grain of insight will strike me and teach me how to blend properly as well!

C&C is welcome.

looks like an iron warriors bitz pack melta gun!

This is the first model that I've painted since December.

was thinking when i seen this thread you hadn't posted in HoH for a while Nihm, always a pleasure to see your night lords :)

hopefully a cosmic grain of insight will strike me and teach me how to blend properly as well!

I've been working on that as well (haven't painted since last August or so). I'm trying wet pallette and glazing, but I think I'm being too subtle.

You do that hard line layering style so well though... it's hard to be a critic because I really think it's a fun style and probably the best looking style for the table top. But I hate not criticizing, so I'll try :P

Your metallics appear inconsistant--the helmet is shaded and highlighted in the style of model, but the melta fuel tank and gold trim are not. The melta barrel is shaded correctly, but in the wrong colour. Annealed steel (which is what I think you are going for) has brassy and blueish tones.

The drybrush of highlight on the backpack exhaust doesn't make sense. There is no directional lighting on the rest of the model, but the exhausts seem to be lit from a light source above the model.

It's still a million times better than my painting. One of the outstanding things on the model are the skulls. You've really done well in using paint to bring out the large skull's shape with the browns and greys used.

That's very nice indeed Nihm. It practically begs for a Call of Chaos III so a squad can be built around him...

We won't see Nihm's army done until the Call of Chaos X ;)

where is the melta gun from?
looks like an iron warriors bitz pack melta gun!
Correct!

man i don't care how long you take, IT ALWAYS LOOKS AWESOME!
Thank you. :wallbash:

That's very nice indeed Nihm. It practically begs for a Call of Chaos III so a squad can be built around him...

We won't see Nihm's army done until the Call of Chaos X :lol:
That sounds like a plan hehe.

hopefully a cosmic grain of insight will strike me and teach me how to blend properly as well!
Your metallics appear inconsistant--the helmet is shaded and highlighted in the style of model, but the melta fuel tank and gold trim are not. The melta barrel is shaded correctly, but in the wrong colour. Annealed steel (which is what I think you are going for) has brassy and blueish tones.
Thanks a bunch for your feedback! I was actually going for a more subtle version of this look on the barrel, but failed.

The drybrush of highlight on the backpack exhaust doesn't make sense. There is no directional lighting on the rest of the model, but the exhausts seem to be lit from a light source above the model.
You're absolutely right and it has since been painted over.

I've fixed a lot of the errors + tightened up the transitions on the skulls & fixed highlights on the cables. He's now as complete as he'll ever be.

Thanks again. <_<

Brother Nihm, nice work as always. I've had a big break from painting and I'm getting back into 40K now by painting up the AoBr marines. I've always enjoyed looking at your Night Lords and it reminds me to get stuck in again with my Raptors and Chaos Lord with Jump Pack. As for critique - none is needed as this is a very characterful model and the Iron Warriors head sits very well on this figure. The painting is of a good standard considering you've had a break - you can laugh at my Ultramarines when I upload a few pictures! :(

I can't wait to see more!

Brother Nihm, nice work as always. I've had a big break from painting and I'm getting back into 40K now by painting up the AoBr marines. I've always enjoyed looking at your Night Lords and it reminds me to get stuck in again with my Raptors and Chaos Lord with Jump Pack. As for critique - none is needed as this is a very characterful model and the Iron Warriors head sits very well on this figure. The painting is of a good standard considering you've had a break - you can laugh at my Ultramarines when I upload a few pictures! :D

I can't wait to see more!

I look forward to seeing them. :)

For my melta barrels, I just lightly drybrush whichever brown comes to hand over about a third of the barrel, and then black just on the tip.

Looking good, Nihm!

:)

Hey Nihm!

Good to see you back old chap! Great work bud, the meltagun skull takes it from a "normal" point of view to a great conversion, nicely painted bud as usual. :)

Corpus

I wish I could take the credit for that but it's sculpted that way! :D

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for making a Night Lord with no wings on the helmet. I cannot stand those things. They make them look rediculous and it's damn hard to sneak around when you've got gigantic wings on your head.

Same applies for Berzerker bunny ears.

yo Nihm, i just got the Night Lords hero, and was wondering what paints you use~also for the lightning it's electric blue and then skull white in the middle?
It is, I do this :)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for making a Night Lord with no wings on the helmet. I cannot stand those things. They make them look rediculous and it's damn hard to sneak around when you've got gigantic wings on your head.

Same applies for Berzerker bunny ears.

You're welcome (I think :P). Only one of my marines has wings on his helmet and he's never fielded any more since he had that mishap with a bad bottle of varnish. ;)

Very neat and precise painting as always Nihm.... good to see you working on chaos again. Just think at this rate that squad will be done in.... er... never mind.... er, great paint job! ^_^

Archived