Emperors Warbringers chapter

rusty1109

Hi everyone,

I'm not the best painter but I do like trying unusual things. So i'm currently painting up an emperors warbringers space marine army. According to various sources they will use camoflague; so the overall look i'm going for is more akin to an imperial guard army. With all the tanks using camoflague patterns and netting etc (the chapter actually does this according to official canon). Thinking of a bit of back story as well, it's an official chapter but theres not much written about it. This has been my main source:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Emperor%27s_Warbringers

I've got the chapter masters name it's Raynald Hoare but again theres nothing on him anyone know more?

Anyway the main reason for the post is to show you a sample of my first tactical squad and ask for advice, so any advice?

Cheers Guys

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...i&img=29180

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...i&img=29179

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...i&img=29178

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...i&img=29177

Careful with trusting to strongly in the lexicanum stuff. A lot of it is uncited material that someone has just edited in there. Outside of their pictures in the various books and that they denote company by their lower left greave there isn't much official info no them.

Also you don't need to link to your pics if you don't want to. You can use the actual picture location itself like so:

[img=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1237368838/med_gallery_44139_3380_964062.jpg]

which will display as:

med_gallery_44139_3380_964062.jpg

Pics are a bit blurry so hard to give a proper critique. Banner decal looks well done. I would recommend a different basing (even if it is just different color flock) to help offset the drab green armor from the base.

this should be a better pic, and thanks for the tip.

gallery_44139_3380_65709.jpg

i think i'm going to paint the knee pads a shade of darker green and the shoulder pad rims black, the chapter displays company numberswith roman numerals on the lower left greave as said before so i should be able to keep it the same for the whole army

BRING BACK CAMMO MARINES! Yeah man, I love it, though cather is right, you need to put a wash on them, I tend to use badab black on all mine, it helps the models pop, and makes an average paint scheme alot better, im not master class painter and i think it makes my models look 100x better for such little effort.

I would also add some grit to your bases, flock looks a little too much like carpet in my opinion when its on its own.

A really simple way of doing cammo and quickly is to base your models in one colour then mask off areas with bluetack (on smaller models) or paper on larger ones. Then get a spray can of your chosen cammo colour (or use an air gun) and give it a decent spraying over, then id personaly put a wash, you can then add all the detail you want after.

This is what I do for all my marines and my thunderhawk for my Iron Hawks Chapter.

hey rusty...are you using camo green?

i would wash it with a mix of black and catachan green, then high light with a mix of camo and catachan...then straight camo. might wanna try to thin down your paints pain on multiple thin layers so you end up with a smoother paint job...

• 1 month later...

They looks awesome my good man. I really am loving some of these conversions, i am inspired to do a few similar for my Iron Hawks. Love the guy drawing his knife.

What did you use as netting.... i am nicking that.

According to Insignium Astartes the Warbringers denote company by a black roman numeral within a coloured circle upon the outer side of the lower left leg - both the number and the colour of the circle dictate the company (the circle has a black outline).

One problem that should be noted however is that the example Warbringers in both Insignium Astartes and Imperial Armour vol2 are brownish-grey (almost identical to Kommando Khaki) not green - I believe the guy at GW who photoshopped the example on the Lexicanum page got them confused with the Warbearers who are that shade of green and have a similar chapter badge (crossed axes instead of swords).

Hi,

thanks for the positive comments everyone. Vodunius your right about the colour i've got the relevant pages from both imperial armour and astartes, but I quite like the colour and the chapter symbol so i'm going to pretend it's right lol. Jester prince the netting on the sergeant started life as a dishcloth from tescos lol. I painted it snot green (i think) then cut to shape and painted it on with watered down PVA. Really glad you like it i wasn't too sure when i put it on thought it would be a bit rubbish.

one thing i need help with is the guy holding his hand to his ear. He's going to be a radio man who's primary job is battlefield comms (my chapter work much more closely with the imperial guard than usual chapters more on that when i get the fluff finalised) so he's going to have his bolter stowed. having it just stuck to his bacpack is too easy, and i tried to sling it but it doesn't really work, any other ideas?

cheers all

I normaly just get a bit of ribbon and hang it from his shoulder or just place it on the floor. I read Bravo two zero and something it said in there stuck with me, i cant rember its exact phrasing it was like 5-6 years ago, but he mentioned that the sas dont bother with straps (they get in the way) the weapon is either in their hands or they are resting and its within arms reach, which to me makes sense, slinging a weapon takes too long and if your on patrol you should have your weapon ready or within arms reach at all times anyway. I think you could quite happily have it laying on the ground or resting against his knee.

Also im going to tesco for a dish cloth.

BTW I tried to do a guy holding his ear like yours once (i saw it in the original dow intro movie and i wanted to recreate it) and no mkatter how hard i tried his arm wouldnt reach so kudos to you on achieving that.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Ok heres an update. Finally finished the first 14 marines and the base for my first dreadnought.

Heres the first lot front:

gallery_44139_3380_207818.jpg

and back:

gallery_44139_3380_151043.jpg

The second lot:

gallery_44139_3380_271306.jpg

And the back:

gallery_44139_3380_28281.jpg

And finally the dreaddy base:

gallery_44139_3380_7749.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_201439.jpg

All comments welcome i'm still learning so i'm grateful for any advice and tips. If anyone wants closeups of anything please ask and i'll do my best.

Next to do:

Finish devestator squads x2 (they just need touchups and backpack detail)

Finish top half of dreadnought (come on forgeworld wheres my drill arm!)

Then start work on my HQ. A master of the forge. Going to have him on a bike, but give it a single track like the panzer cycle out of mercenaries 2. And give it two assault cannons from the landspeeder kit.

Heres the latest progress on the dreadnought. Note the dremel drill, BBQ and double hole punch attachment. Available from B&Q this summer!

gallery_44139_3380_397645.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_648612.jpg

And my most ambitious conversion project to date is off the ground. Really want some feedback so i've put in a seperate thread for maximum exposure you can see it here:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=168865

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Firstly thanks Kikunosuke, always really nice to hear that other people like your creations!

Secondly heres my latest WIP pictures, it's pretty slow going mainly because i'm getting a bit tired of infantry! Still getting there slowly,

heres a sample of my devestators all C+C welcome as always,

specifically opinions on the camo netting and hoow i've painted the backpacks:

gallery_44139_3380_491440.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_595618.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_1251557.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_1325644.jpg

And heres my WIP, DIY sternguard vets.

Apologies for the bad pics most of the arms are still black so don't show up too well.

Really need advice on how to pose the sergeant (the one with thunder hammer and the awesome stormbolter/powerfist!

gallery_44139_3380_296098.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_1323464.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_683968.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_803807.jpg

And finally heres how much further i've got with my dread! Not very much! Next conversion for him is to have a smoke launcher 'popping' up from the flat area on top, as if it's normally stored inside the dread but pops out under spring pressure, think of the wrist mounted grenade launcher in iron man.

gallery_44139_3380_382707.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look all!

• 1 year later...

Hi all!

Been a long time hasn't it!

Finally getting around to finishing my army and even doing some gaming as well!

Here are the latest WIP pics!

Newest addition a predator, fully magnetized:

gallery_44139_3380_1239145.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_697695.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_73208.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_2654594.jpg

Lots more painting needed!

Next my LSS which still needs some painting:

gallery_44139_3380_391772.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_1995268.jpg

My now finished dreadnought with swappable shooty arm:

gallery_44139_3380_1933598.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_59398.jpg

Sternguard SGT got some more paint, thinking of promoting this guy to chapter master, thoughts?

gallery_44139_3380_2140726.jpg

A normal speeder which has had some freehand airbrush camo work, needs lots more work obviously:

gallery_44139_3380_2910434.jpg

Finally some conversions, a flyer base and my converted metal scout sergeant:

gallery_44139_3380_94097.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_1060183.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_1209396.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_2028496.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_57544.jpg

Any and all thoughts welcome!

And if anyones curious i lost my first game, made a hideous rules mistake and got my scouts and speeder shot up by two tac squads in turn one, never really recovered!!

Still we live and learn lol!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Heres my latest work, my scout squad and new MOTF with beamer on foot.

Would really really like some feedback on the MOTF's power swords if you can chaps, think they need a wash or perhaps stripping and re doing altogether!

gallery_44139_3380_2626877.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_442061.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_923801.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_2467426.jpg

Cheers all,

Rusty!

I like the conversion beamer, though the gun itself seems a little unstable as it's only supported by one servo-arm. Maybe add a second servo helping hold it up?

swords look good!

• 6 months later...

Archived