space marine scouts

Fausto2071

Scouts whilst not power armoured or as tough, generally seem like a useful option...

I mean i dont think they can match a tactical squad, but they are cheaper.

I like to think that they are a useful option, not neccessarily as the main soldiers, but the support. After all they can be kitted out in a variety of ways and they get their own exclusive transport to move them around.

I looked at using scouts as a cheap scoring unit, but then I realized

1. They aren't that much cheaper than tactical squads.
  2. They can't take special weapons

At first I thought that 10 of them with combat knives and no upgrades might be able to work as a tarpit squad but they'd almost have to borrow a transport for this to work as you can't always infiltrate where they would be able to position themselves well. On top of that even with a LD 9 sergeant they aren't going to last in combat very long because of their low weapon skill and armor save. Then I thought I might use them in small 6 man squads and borrow a razorback so that they could drop and pop some shooting as an anti-infantry option, but their lowered BS and again no special weapon options ixnay that option.

SO from my perspective, I can't find a place for them in my list yet. Maybe someone else here has had better luck.

I kind of agree with Greymeister, but that's just my personal opinion. I think the best use of scouts is either with sniper rifles for sniping MC and high toughness targets or with a LSS to carry a choppy/shotgun unit into battle.

Personally I will take a 10 man squad with camo cloaks, sniper rifles, missile launcher and Telion upgrade. These guys will sit in cover and harass units on the board. I will use the Telion/ML combo to target Sgt's, ICs and Orks with special weapons. A nice Krak missile to the face does wonders for killing off annoying models. I don't think at this point I would ever use any other combo of scouts unless I were going for a Scout company.

Personally I will take a 10 man squad with camo cloaks, sniper rifles, missile launcher and Telion upgrade. These guys will sit in cover and harass units on the board. I will use the Telion/ML combo to target Sgt's, ICs and Orks with special weapons. A nice Krak missile to the face does wonders for killing off annoying models. I don't think at this point I would ever use any other combo of scouts unless I were going for a Scout company.

i thought the same as you for telion m/l combo against targets like that, but according to here linky you cant do it that way apparently.

I often like to park a unit of Scouts with Telion, sniper rifles, and a Heavy Bolter with Hellfire rounds on a home objective, where their gunfire is designed to thin enemy units and take on nasty Tyranid and Daemon MCs.

But by far my favorite is to take a few Combat Blade and Shotgun Scouts along with a Shotgun / Power Fist Sergeant, load them up in a Land Speeder Storm or two, then use these Scouts to back up my main assault team (usually either a Terminator Assault Squad or a normal jump-pack Assault Squad). Between the Scouts and the real Assault Squad, I'm basically guaranteed to break whatever unit I break, beyond the absolutely biggest Ork mobs. Take a heavy flamer on the Land Speeder Storm and your odds get even better. Scouts in a Land Speeder Storm are the best bullies around, waiting until an enemy unit is imperiled and then acting as the final sucker-punch to take them out.

Add to this package the ability to utterly screw Daemons and any other army using deep strike heavily, and I make one a regular addition to my lists.

I absolutely SWEAR by scouts. I have a 10 man 5ccw/bp, 5 shotgun squad that I always outflank. They have won me so many games. They have I 4, so they swing first on a lot of things, they move through cover, so a charge into a squad of lootas in cover or something is easier, they have grenades so they got at initiative and they are cheap and get a lot of shots/attacks if you kit them like i do. Seriously, they are a staple in my armies.

Archived