Chronus in a Predator?

Gornall

I am running a Autocannon/Lascannon Sides Predator in my 1500 point list along with a DP-Dreadnought, a Razorback, and a Rhino. I have about 80-90 points left over that I would like to put into a vehicle or vehicle upgrade. I was thinking that adding Chronus to the Predator might be a good buy, as it would allow me to ignore all Shaken/Stunned results and hit on 2+ with my weapons. Is this a reasonable idea, or am I better off throwing in another piece of armor?

I am running a Autocannon/Lascannon Sides Predator in my 1500 point list along with a DP-Dreadnought, a Razorback, and a Rhino. I have about 80-90 points left over that I would like to put into a vehicle or vehicle upgrade. I was thinking that adding Chronus to the Predator might be a good buy, as it would allow me to ignore all Shaken/Stunned results and hit on 2+ with my weapons. Is this a reasonable idea, or am I better off throwing in another piece of armor?

If you have enough points, a Dakka Predator would be a great buy. Its another piece of armor on the table so everything else will tend to live longer. Plus its cheap anti-horde.

If you can't afford another tank, I'm sure Chronus would be useful, I'm a Chaos player so I haven't used him yet. He seems most useful on a Land Raider or possibly Vindicator as you don't get PotMS or Daemonic Possession anymore, but a triple heavy weapon Predator that hits on 2's is always nice.

That's a really good idea. I never see that weapon load-out on a pred, but chronus makes it look good.

I saw someone call it the "Combi-Predator" and I liked that.

Its main benefit is that its so cheap for 3 heavy weapons that are a threat to most things on the battlefield.

I am definately pushing to get the autocannon/sponson las cannon designated the 'combi-pred.' If the config has a catchy name people can identify, then its use should hopefully skyrocket--which is my goal because that build is simply amazing.

As for the OP, I really like the idea of chronus in a combi pred; that is the one tank that benefits the most from BS 5 thanks to 3 heavy weapons that are not twin linked, low enough cost (190) to not be over the top, and enough range to stay relatively safe.

However, those 80-90 points might be better used buffing other squads, depending on their loadout. For example, does every squad that can have a rhino/razorback have one? If you have 2 squads without transports, I would definately get 2 rhinos before chronus. Do you have any large squads without powerfists? I would also definately put in fists before recommending chronus. Basicly, before recomending an extra like chronus I would make sure the core of the army is taken care of first.

I rarely ever see Chronus being worthwhile, sadly. All he really does is stick a huge "shoot me first"-sign on one of your tanks. And the only tank who could really survive - a LandRaider - doesn't need him at all.

Still, if anything, your combi-pred would possibly be the best place for him to be. He obviously enhances its offensive potential A LOT. And as long as you're confident that nothing will get to close with Meltas, or nothing will be shooting at your rear armour, go for it.

Still, remember that for the same price, you can spread out your armour more evenly. Either get another Pred. Or get a Speeder. Heck, make some room and get a cheap dread. All of them will just spread out your firepower a bit more, making it harder to pin it down easily, and still allow for easier shooting from your side - just as Chronus would. For the same price, you could also get 2 Razorbacks and some other gear...

I am definately pushing to get the autocannon/sponson las cannon designated the 'combi-pred.' If the config has a catchy name people can identify, then its use should hopefully skyrocket--which is my goal because that build is simply amazing.

As for the OP, I really like the idea of chronus in a combi pred; that is the one tank that benefits the most from BS 5 thanks to 3 heavy weapons that are not twin linked, low enough cost (190) to not be over the top, and enough range to stay relatively safe.

However, those 80-90 points might be better used buffing other squads, depending on their loadout. For example, does every squad that can have a rhino/razorback have one? If you have 2 squads without transports, I would definately get 2 rhinos before chronus. Do you have any large squads without powerfists? I would also definately put in fists before recommending chronus. Basicly, before recomending an extra like chronus I would make sure the core of the army is taken care of first.

Right now both tactical squads are mounted (Razorback and Rhino) and one has a PF and the other has bombs, so I think the core is pretty solid. I already have a Dreadnought with MM/HF and a Drop Pod. I also have a full scoring bike squad with MM Attack Bike. Right now it's between Chronus and a Landspeeder Typhoon (It's the model I have... I don't have another Predator atm or I'd probably just throw that in), and I'm actually leaning Chronus atm. Below is a link to my army

Here's my updated list:

My experience has shown me that Chronus is a very useful character. I have him in my 1500 point list in a Land Raider Phobos. I like using him in Apocolypse when my Phobos transforms into a Terminus Ultra. 5 lascannons hitting on 2's and 3 of them re-rollable... very nice. As for your question, I don't have any predators and therefore cannot comment on his effectiveness in a predator. I did convert a nice model for him though.

Cheers.

MVK

I have a combi-pred too, but I'm not a fan of the weapons config anymore. I used to like it because it was cheap like you said, and I didn't fancy paying that many points to get rid of an autocannon (the White Scar traits banning the twin-las was a handy co-incidence come 4th edition). Nowdays I find that it has too hard a time handing out enough damage to be worthwhile, I'm not saying it won't ever come back if I need some valkerie squadrons hunting but for now its parked on the shelf.

Chronus I personally feel is too expensive for anything short of a land raider crusader. Hes quite good but only really if you're limited in other options due to models would I consider using him, he would make your predator more dangerous but I'm not conivinced more dangerous than a second tank. Also his ability to get out and run around on the table isn't very useful at all really...

Hes quite good but only really if you're limited in other options due to models would I consider using him, he would make your predator more dangerous but I'm not conivinced more dangerous than a second tank

That is a vaild point; basicly is Chronus better than just investing those same points into one more tank?

Short answer- yes!

Long answer- mathhammer!

Consider my recomended combi-pred at 120 versus the Chronus combi-pred at 190. You pay 90 points per lascannon hit/turn with a regular combipred. You pay 114 points per lascannon hit/turn with Chronus attached. HOWEVER, if Chronus prevents just ONE shaken or stunned result in a 7 turn game that the combi-pred does not, then the combi-pred costs 105/turn. If the game only goes to 5 turns instead of 7, then its 112.5 points per lascannon hit/turn.

So, what this means is that as soon as chronus prevents 2 shaken/stunned results, he has made more than his points back in lascannon shots alone. We wont even go into the fact that the combi-pred can not move when stunned but the chronus combi-pred can.

The catch is, though, that if you take TWO combi-preds, one with chronus one without, the enemy will probably target the non-chronus pred first, decreaseing your chance to make use of chronus' full abilities, thus decreasing his value.

Thus, chronus is better specifically when NOT investing points into more tanks! So one Chronus combi-pred is more efficient than 2 stock combi-preds, but this means that you must use the 50 points you save from chronus on something that is not a tank yet still very efficient... I recommend a multi-melta attack bike. The bigger the games get, though, the harder it becomes to find efficient choices, so at some point the force org will become a bit tight and chronus will be dropped in favor of triple combi-preds or triple land raiders or the like.

Archived