Assault Terminators

Br.Pat

I was thinking of including a squad of 5 assault terminators in my new list. I'm also including a Chaplain with them.

I'm pretty sure that they'll rip up most infantry, but how will they fair against things with Toughness 6 or 7?

I'm thinking of keeping my Chaplain in P. Armour and giving him a Power Fist just for this purpose.

What do you guys think?

I was thinking of includign a squad of 5 assault terminators in my new list. I'm also including a Chaplain with them.

I'm pretty sure that they'll rip up most infantry, but how will they far against things with Toughness 6 or 7?

That's what the Thunderhammers are for ;) Include one or two of them in your unit of five, and they should work wonders. If you don't have the models, sticking a Chaplain with a powerfist would indeed help a lot.

With only 5 assault termies, I would go all Thammers and storm shields. The Thammers are always useful, versus vehicles, walkers, monstrous creatures, and infantry. TLC termies dont really hurt anything other than infantry, and they are only marginally better versus infantry than hammers while not being nearly as survivable thanks to no 3+ invuln. TLC termies really needed Furious Assault as a veteran skill to make them stand out over the new and improved THSS termies.

Also, dont forget how good instant death from s8 can be.

Tieing everything up, Thammer marines rip up everything by having 15 S8 I4 no save attacks on the charge. TLCs have more attacks but are less versatile.

IOW, they do everything for a long time. ;)

Thammers are I1, not I4. The lightning claws are signifigantly better than Thammers at killing MEQ and GEQ. Also vs anything slower than I4 you will gerneraly want TLC also. Personaly I like a mix of 3TLC/2TH. The exception is if you want to aim that at multiwound units (HQs), vehicles or MC's, then its Stop! Hammertime.

TLC are not 'significantly better' at killing MEQ, only with furious charge to TLC start getting amazing.

3 TLC attacks, 1.5 hits, 1.125 dead... x5 termies = 5.625 MEQ

2 THammer attacks, 1 hit, 5/6 dead... x5 termies = 4.166 dead MEQ

On the charge

4 TLC attacks, 2 hits, 1.5 dead... x5 termies = 7.5 MEQ

3 THammer attacks, 1.5 hit, 1.25 dead... x5 termies = 6.25

With rerolls on the charge

4 TLC, 3 hits, 2.25 dead... x5 termies = 11.25 MEQ

3 THammer attacks, 2.25 hits, 1.875 dead... x5 termies = 9.375

So at most we are talking about less than 2 extra dead MEQ from TLC; and while the MEQ target units s4 attacks have a small chance to kill off a THSS before it swings, the 3++ invuln means that more THSS will make combat in the first place, and the obligatory PFist will hurt less versus the THSS.

So you trade the THSS versitality at killing anything and everything for less than 2 extra MEQ wounds and no chance to instant death anything. Thus, if MEQ are the only consideration you have to make, then TLC are great. But if you dont know what you are going to face, then the THSS will never let you down.

I personally find that having just a couple TH/SS is preferable. Generally 15 TH attacks (on the charge) are complete overkill for MCs and tanks. 2-3 TH/SS and the rest be TLC will give you a nice balance of power. Additionally, you can use the TH/SS to soak heavy weapons fire (lascannons, plasma, etc) as their 3++ will give them a good chance at survival.

I personally find that having just a couple TH/SS is preferable.

I share this opinion, I have been running my sgt as TH/SS and the rest of the unit as 2xLC. If you're assaulting monsters/vehicles it usually only takes a few TH hits to ruin their day. I guess if you're seeing alot of TO > 5 then bring a couple more, but the LC provide ablative wounds and mow down infantry at I 4.

I run Khan, cassius and 5 assault termies with 3LC's and 2 hamernator mix.

The furious charge and rerolls on hits and wounds on LC (4 attacks per model) and the chappy and Khan, reduce the number of attacks you get back with I5 and S5, then the hammernators chew up anything thats tough enough to survive that first lot of carnage

Normally I would agree that a mix of cc weapons is best for all sorts of situations as lightning claws are good at killing single wound troops while a few hammers for charactors, MCs or vehicles. But since I go up against special Elite units with multiple wounds (Nid Warriors and Nob bikers for example) I find that nothing kills better than a full squad of TH/SS's, making sure that I will instant-death a Nob or Nid Warrior instead of having my opponant spread single wounds around the squad.

I run Pedro Kantor with a squad of five Assault Terminators all with TH/SS's transported on a Land Raider Crusador with multi-melta and Chronus.

Normally I would agree that a mix of cc weapons is best for all sorts of situations as lightning claws are good at killing single wound troops while a few hammers for charactors, MCs or vehicles. But since I go up against special Elite units with multiple wounds (Nid Warriors and Nob bikers for example) I find that nothing kills better than a full squad of TH/SS's, making sure that I will instant-death a Nob or Nid Warrior instead of having my opponant spread single wounds around the squad.

I run Pedro Kantor with a squad of five Assault Terminators all with TH/SS's transported on a Land Raider Crusador with multi-melta and Chronus.

I guess, like so many other things in this game, it comes down to the fact that I think TLLC are better against MEQ infantry because most of the time you will be going at the same time, rather than after with TH/SS. Against anything tougher or with higher initiative it goes to the TH/SS easily. The problem is that 9/10 times you will face some MEQ army. :jaw:

Personally unless I am gonna try to usr Lysander, I find that a Librarain with Tarmour and TShield is nicer than a chaplain with a Thammer squad. He gets to enjoy the same save and throws out a super heavy flamer template out to help offset being outnumbered. (possible Null zone is good to)

I myself am torn between the chaplain or the librarian. I find Null Zone and the Template so Effective.

Ah but in order to get a Librarian to be able to do that and have T/Armour and Sshield you need to spend 190 points!

Ah. Good point.

It isn't necessary to buy the Terminator upgrade for the librarian unless you want to Deep Strike which I find to be a horrible option for Assault Terminators. Just make sure your land raider has room for another model and stick a 3+ save version in there with them ^_^

I need to point out that Tyranid Warriors are immune to instant death (they are Synapse Creature). ;)

Things that you want to be dead quickly are usually immune to instant death (princes, carnifexes, etc.)

In my opinion mix of LC and TH is better as you can get rid of this nasty fist, which can be the most deadly to you.

And having ability to open the tank is always good :huh:

I run Khan, cassius and 5 assault termies with 3LC's and 2 hamernator mix.

The furious charge and rerolls on hits and wounds on LC (4 attacks per model) and the chappy and Khan, reduce the number of attacks you get back with I5 and S5, then the hammernators chew up anything thats tough enough to survive that first lot of carnage

Where is the furious charge coming from?

Archived