Funny Little detail GW didn't notice

theredcorsair

I noticed that Lightning claws are the same price as power weapons but are quite a bit better.

The only disadvantage is the loss of an attack, but the re-rolls on wounds overcome this by quite a bit.

It does depend on how many attacks you have or if you even have the option for two, but GW made quite a mistake here.

I suggest you take advantage of that.

...I can't see how it's a mistake.

Captain with LC and Pistol, 3 attacks on MEQs, 2 hit, 1.5 wounds.

Captain with Power Weapon and pistol, 4 attacks on MEQs, 2.67 hits, 1.34 wounds.

The LC is only a tiny bit better at killing MEQs, but against Guardsmen, Eldar, etc. the Power Weapon is better.

Captain with LC and Pistol, 3 attacks on MEQs, 2 hit, 1.5 wounds.

Captain with Power Weapon and pistol, 4 attacks on MEQs, 2.67 hits, 1.34 wounds.

Looking at the maths above, how many people would swap to power swords if they only cost 13 points?

They also generally gross more kills in my opinion

Hehe well someone else might voice the opinion that power weapons have killed more than their claws ever had.

I think its a fair bit that everyone will kit out their captain with the best gear they can, after all it is the big boss of your forces.

As for which is better, well claws might well have a slight edge overall against power weapons, then again they might not. I think that they come off around equal which is why then there is the upgrade for double claws and relic blades.

But also, as far as i can tell a captain can go after who the hell he wants, i mean he might fare well against tough enemy elites, but he might be better used removing enemy troops or weaker units that prove juicy targets.

However i will point out that tactical squad sergeants have access to power weapons, but not claws, these are much more limited and perhaps because they are better?

Advatage to relic blade, ability to wound higher toughness creatures. And wound lower toughness creatures more often. For my money (points) my commanders loadout is relic blade, storm shield, aux grenade launcher. Seargents should be a healthy mix, but I tend to favor power sword, as weight of fire/attacks are prefferable to my style of play.

P is better simply because you can get an extra attack, meaning extra wound, meaing extra dead something, whereas with claws you lose any chance to get that extra kill. If you can afford a pair of LCs, then it's a whole other story. That's how I'd arm my captains (I only use chaplains, and as of late vulkan).....

I think we're overlooking something important here: a single Lightning Claw looks silly. Power weapons for the win!

Plus, I always opt for more attacks. I'll gamble on hitting and wounding with everything before taking the "safe" route any day of the week! That's how Space Marines roll!

They also generally gross more kills in my opinion, regardless of math

Dude, no offence, but that doesn't matter, there isn't some mystical force making LCs better than power weapons.

You kinda put that out of proportion there.

Also, it does look silly if its single.

They also generally gross more kills in my opinion, regardless of math

Dude, no offence, but that doesn't matter, there isn't some mystical force making LCs better than power weapons.

You kinda put that out of proportion there.

No, he's right, you can't say they kill more regardless of math - even if they do, that's just probability. My Termagants kill more than my Genestealers in CC, but does that mean they're better? No, it doesn't.

No, you!

Lol, but seriously, it's not something GW missed, as prior to this new... codex, the lightning claws have always cost more than power weapons. I still struggle with it when planning my next SW squad...

*looks at Space Wolves army* sigh... *sobs*

Archived