Wraithwing's Novamarines WIP - Updated 20/04/09

Wraithwing

Greeting's Battle Brothers,

So, my Raven Guard project, which has been on hold due to lots of real life happenings (new house, new baby), has morphed into my Novamarines project!

After picking up the UK Game exclusive of DoW II and playing as Novamarines, I decided to go with a Codex chapter and paint something a bit different. So, below is my first test model for my new army.

gallery_5348_3397_28387.jpg

gallery_5348_3397_8329.jpg

gallery_5348_3397_25650.jpg

gallery_5348_3397_45866.jpg

The painting of this miniature is a slight departure from what I'm used to. I used Quick Shade, a varnish 'dip' (not that I dipped him) from Army Painter over the blocked in base colours, and highlighted over the top.

Overall, I'm pleased with the results, and have since painted the rest of his squad (piccies to follow soon). A few things bug me though. The matt varnish was slightly too thick, and shrank and cracked the paint slightly, which was annoying. I quite like the dirty look to the white, as I can't see white plate remaining pristine on the battlefield.

I've tried to use a limited palette, and I think it works.

As ever, comments and criticisms appreciated.

Cheers,

WW

some of the white is a lighter shade then others and it shows. Mainly the right hand is really white.

Also the right shoulderpad looks lumpy or something. I don't like the white trim, i know its in the paint scheme but aren't codex chapters companies colored shown by shoulder trim?

some of the white is a lighter shade then others and it shows. Mainly the right hand is really white.

Also the right shoulderpad looks lumpy or something. I don't like the white trim, i know its in the paint scheme but aren't codex chapters companies colored shown by shoulder trim?

I know what you mean by the White. Essentially, this is me not been consistant enough with the highlighting. I'll bear it in mind when doing the rest of the squad.

The lumpyness can be atributed to theatt varnish shrinking and cracking the gloss varnish underneath. Lesson learned there methinks.

As for the shoulder trims, I seem to recall reading somewhere that Novamarines don't use company markings. However, I'm not sure if it was official fluff or not. I actually like the idea though, and if I do add company markings, it will more than likely be numerals on one of the kneepads.

Cheers,

WW

Looks good. You've managed to pull of the quarter scheme well. I like the dirty look of the white but the pistol grip hand is a bit too clean. Perhaps you could dirty that up a bit. A whole army of these guys will look cool.

As for the shoulder trims, there are a few chapters who follow the codex but don't use shoulder trims to denote company, the Crimson Fists, Brazen Claws, Blood Ravens etc. Hope that helps. It's all down to personal preference.

Brother Duncs

Always love seeing more Novamarines. Did you use a decal for the shoulderpad or is that freehand?

I wish it were freehand! No, its BoLS awesome Novamarines decal sheet, printed out on white laser decal paper.

Hopefully, I should be adding the rest of the Tactical squad and their Drop Pod this week, as well as my Captain.

Cheers,

WW

Always love seeing more Novamarines. Did you use a decal for the shoulderpad or is that freehand?

I wish it were freehand! No, its BoLS awesome Novamarines decal sheet, printed out on white laser decal paper.

Hopefully, I should be adding the rest of the Tactical squad and their Drop Pod this week, as well as my Captain.

Cheers,

WW

These models look fantastic. That's a fairly intimidating paint scheme. I considered it for my son's force, but I decided that I'd paint crimson fists instead as it appeared much easier. If you're able to print those decals, any chance you could photoshop them a little? I think they look a little too clean and perfect for the rest of the model. It's only a minor criticism, but I think a little discoloration in the decal and a little wear may go a long way to matching the colors you have in the model.

Very nice work.

Cheers,

WW

These models look fantastic. That's a fairly intimidating paint scheme. I considered it for my son's force, but I decided that I'd paint crimson fists instead as it appeared much easier. If you're able to print those decals, any chance you could photoshop them a little? I think they look a little too clean and perfect for the rest of the model. It's only a minor criticism, but I think a little discoloration in the decal and a little wear may go a long way to matching the colors you have in the model.

Very nice work.

I hadn't thought about the decals in that way before, thanks for pointing it out Grimfoe. They do seem a bit 'clean' when compared to the rest of the miniature. I might see if I can dirty it up a bit, or at least blend the painting round the edges a bit better.

Cheers,

WW

Ok, so things have been a little slow this week in terms of Novamarines done, but a bout of flu thats turned itself into a chest infection has allowed me a bit of rest time to get some painting done!

I've decided to go with a Shrike 'Counts As' for this army, as they were originally suppose to be Raven Guard, and I like what Shrike brings to the table. He's literaly *just* been Quick Shaded, so he's still wet in the piccies. Just need to wait for him to dry and add additional detail and highlights.

gallery_5348_3397_63920.jpg

gallery_5348_3397_39464.jpg

gallery_5348_3397_69331.jpg

gallery_5348_3397_82774.jpg

And finally, one of the rest of the Tactical squad I've been working on. Just need to finish their Boltguns and Backpacks:

gallery_5348_3397_28399.jpg

As always, C&C appreciated.

Cheers,

WW

They look very good! I like the Shrike counts as model. very well done! What did you use for the "quick" shading?

Thanks for the positive comments! It's actually called Quick Shade, made by a company called The Army Painter, I think.

Cheers,

WW

Are those Lightning Claws from the plastic termis? Cos if they are you've done a fantastic job of making them look like they belong on the model, sometimes they can look too long in the arm but those look great. I like the use of the greens it really contrasts well against the armour. Cool.

Are those Lightning Claws from the plastic termis? Cos if they are you've done a fantastic job of making them look like they belong on the model, sometimes they can look too long in the arm but those look great. I like the use of the greens it really contrasts well against the armour. Cool.

They are indeed the Lightning Claws from the Terminator sprue. It vexes me greatly that GW produce a left hand LC in plastic, but not right!

Thanks for the positive comments anyway ;)

Cheers,

WW

Finally managed to get a bit more done on my Novamarines this week. This time, I've painted up a unit of Sniper Scouts. Here they are, freshly 'quick shaded':

gallery_5348_3397_39072.jpg

I've also taken a few before and after shots to give you an idea of how the 'quick shade' works. I still can't quite get over how good it is, so check these out:

gallery_5348_3397_53084.jpg

gallery_5348_3397_47096.jpg

Once dry I'll highlight them and spray them with super matt varnish.

C&C, as always, is appreciated.

Cheers,

WW

Just thought I'd stick up a quick update.

I've been toying with the idea of fielding a Vulkan He'stan counts as. Here's a few WIP shots of what I've come up with so far. I'm not totally happy with it yet, as I wouldn't mind using the Apothecary arm for the Gauntlet of the Forge. I'll redo him at some point.

gallery_5348_3397_42206.jpg

gallery_5348_3397_17002.jpg

gallery_5348_3397_25040.jpg

Cheers,

WW

Hi wraith, i really like what i've seen of your army so far, as to this latest guy i'm not sure about that giant skull on the pfist. there arent a lot of skulls prevalent trhoughout your army and i'm not sure it fits. maybe swap it out for an aquila or a wreath?

also dont forget to drill that barrel out :) or if your going for a Vulkan look-alike rather than rule-a-like, the image in the codex has no gubbins but rather nozzles on the knuclkles/thumb - that might be a way to go.

last thing, that head? is if from a model or modified by you?

i ask mainly cos he look .. well.. a bit.. square, almost frankenstienish..

if i might be indulged with a shoop colour shift -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/Karitas/frankenmarine.jpg

joking aside, i love the dynamic pose, and i am a fan of your painjobs totally. i hand trealised you were a dipper either. tha's come a looong way since i last saw someone at my lgs having shoved his orks in wood stain :)

Hey Kartias, thanks for the comments so far! I'm not totally happy with the way the fist looks. A bit too big in my opinion. I should be in town later, so migt pick up another commander and command squad box sets and kit bash another. I've seen the Apothecary's arm used to very good effect.

The head is from the Dark Angels veteran sprue. If you scroll up you'll see a painted version, which doesn't quite look so bad! :)

As for the 'dip' its the first time I've used it. Having painted an army the 'proper' way, I figured I was ok cheating just this once. Its really good, and I can highly recommend it.

Archived