Wraithwing's Novamarines WIP - Updated 20/04/09

Wraithwing

I'm sure that this is covered somewhere, but can you briefly describe what you're talking about when you say, "dipping?" What product do you use? Is it that quick shade above? Is the process as straightforward as it sounds?

I'm painting armies for all 3 of my children and any hints I could get that would allow me to save a little time and still produce high quality table top paint jobs would be much appreciated.

(by the way, I really like the way these have turned out and I'm a little jealous that I went with crimson fists for my son's army and not Nova Marines now. So thanks a lot for that :) )

pfft "cheat" is such a loaded word :) personally there no difference in my mind immersing a model in something than using a brush to drown it in wash, my comments were really meant to celebrate how good they look and how far this side of the hobby has come. i googled the product name you mentioned and see it's a product specifically designed for this.

as i said in a previous thread i've been out of this hobby for a lot of years and when i last saw antying treated this way it looked terrible and had been done with wood stain, to see the wicked shading effect youve got on those scouts, i'm impressed, and looking at these marined i have sat here with a "dipping" eye. :)

as to the head, i see now it's the same head as your shrike counts as, which dosent look half as bad once theres a colour defining the hair line, and not so bad from other angles either, it was mainly that one photo that looked a bit.. karloff :P

i think the fist itself looks great, its just that skull.. i'd shave it off and put something more in keeping with the clean, martial look of your army on there, use GS and mold soemthing of another peice, a termie honours or someting if you arent happy with that small a scale of sculpt (i probarbly wouldnt be :) )

It is indeed Quck Shade from Army Painter. Dark Tone to be precise. Dependent on what army your painting, you can get different shades of dip, or Quick Shade. It really does work as well as it says it does. I really was impressed when I tried it. I brush on incidently, I don't dip.

I have to say, I have come across the odd 'they're not properly painted' attitude since starting this project, which is a load of tosh in my opinion. You get a very clean table top paint job for minimal effort. And I've always been a gamer over a painter, so it suits me.

I'm definatly going to redo Charlton methinks (geddit?). I shall pick up a few kits this afternoon and have a play tonight.

Thanks for the input so far guys, I do appreciate it.

Cheers,

WW

Wraith,

Is it just as easy as they show? Blot brush on, remove extra with a dry fine brush?

Yup, pretty much. You have to be careful of it pooling in the recesses and even on raised areas, such as greaves, but other than that, it's easy.

Dear lord, I sound like I work for them! (I really don't, btw...)

I was really sceptical at first, as I was using it over White, but it's really worked well I feel.

Cheers,

WW

Another quick update. As I mentioned in my previous post, I wasn't happy with the way my Vulkan He'stan counts as looked.

So, after trauling the WIP forum, I landed upon a few examples that really captured the essence of the character in my opinion. So what follows is my redesign. I'd like to point out that the ideas were blatantly ripped off from Ein and AngryJohnny. Thanks guys! :)

med_gallery_5348_3397_3771.jpg

gallery_5348_3397_64737.jpg

gallery_5348_3397_61579.jpg

gallery_5348_3397_7476.jpg

The Guantlet of the Forge idea came from Ein, and the overall look and pose came from AngryJohnny. I was trying to go for a Halberd look for the Spear of Vulkan, but ended up with more of a Glaive look. Still, I think it passes for a MC Relic Blade :)

The head isn't glued in, as I'm undecided whether to give him a helm or not.

Incidently, I've come up with some Novamarine-ish names for the wargear. The Gauntlet of the Forge becomes the Gauntlet of Starfire, the Spear of Vulkan becomes the Glaive of Starlight, and Kesare's Mantle becomes the Mantle of the Cosmos. I reckon that should do it! :)

Cheers,

WW

Now there's a model with a very significant cool quotient :P that's excellent.

I'd love a run down of where those bits came from, as some of those would fit very nicely with my ideas for a kitbashed inquisitor army

Now there's a model with a very significant cool quotient <_< that's excellent.

I'd love a run down of where those bits came from, as some of those would fit very nicely with my ideas for a kitbashed inquisitor army

Your wish is my command:

Helm - Ravenwing Sprue

Chest - Command Squad Sprue

Back - Commander Sprue

Gauntlet - Apothecary arm from Command Squad Sprue

Shoulders - Command Squad Sprue

Legs - Command Squad Sprue

Right arm - Commander Sprue

Right hand - Standard Bearer hand from Command Squad Sprue

Haft - Banner pole from Command Squad Sprue

Glaive Blade - Terminator Power Sword from Dark Angels Veteran Sprue

Glaive Blade base - Power Axe from Space Wolf Sprue