The Destroyers

Hrvat

Hi everyone I have made plans for going to GT this year and am making an army for it. As I assemble and paint my models I am writing the story that can be seen in Liber Astartes

From this topic I would like to get advice and suggestions from the modeling/painting perspective of the project. Though I have to warn you I am not much of a painter though I am slowly getting better at modeling and converting (I have been trying some grey stuff lately and I quite like it and hope to incorporate it in the form of sculpting army Icon)

Captain

Chaplain

The icon I plan to sculpt shouldn't be to hard to do

Other unit on the agenda for now

2xTactical Squad

Land Raider

2xAssault Squad

Assault Terminators/Vanguard without jump packs

Cheers

Hrvat

I would seriously recommend rethinking that icon. There are weirdos out there who might think of it as something totally 40k-unrelated...

Aside from that, your Chaplain still looks a bit plain. Maybe use some other torso front and more bling?

looks good so far, I liked the fluff to go with this as well. 2 things:

1. the icon you picked ironically is sometimes used as a symbol for fertility (and also Ares, the ram as Gothard pointed out). It definately doesn't say 'destroyer' to me. It's a nice icon, just not for your chapter maybe.

2. maybe try filing away the bottom of the chaplain's jaw and then incorporating onto a marine's helmet, it may look more like a helmet than just a skull.

Hope this helps, and I can't wait to see them painted!

Thanks on the comments.

Vissiah @ it is from the Warriors of Chaos as Magos Lucas said.

On the icon: It indeed is the astrological sign for aries (ram) and I have researched its meanings. It is part of the 40K universe to me that something representing life could over time and though myths and legends be merged through links of pronounciation with a war god of ancient times. But that part is yet to be explained in the background. Also I am considering of putting the sign inside a triangle (delta).

cathar the great @ I guess what you say is result of different culture, where I live the Ultramarine sign would be looked strangely by people not involved into the hobby as a very similar sign was used by a fasicst WWII organisation

On the bling: The chaplain is getting a more ornate backpack (DA sprue with skulls) incense sticks (termi sprue) and I am also waiting for the BT sprue to see if I can use anything from there. Also I have been planing to make these guys less gothic and ornamental and more pragmatic warrior like with little interests for decorations.

HiredSword @ for this skull I was inspired by Asmodai and considering how that helmet looked (just hooded) though to just use this as a representative of an all encloasing helmet shaped as a scull rather than using an actual skull placed upon the helmet.

If all goes well the first tactical squad should be done by Sunday.

Cheers

Hrvat

• 1 year later...

Well I sure did take my time :(

As you can guess I didn't go to the GT but I am back working on these guys.

The backstory has changed somewhat as has their icon (can be seen here)

I am not the fastest painter nor a very good one. My aim is to get a table top quality painting style along with geting stuff converted, which I enjoj much more than painting.

I know the light is horrible(maybe I should use a darker background :) ) but this just something to inspire me hurry up a bit with painting.

Sergeant Nagy WIP

gallery_21152_4921_518753.jpg

SM Commander legs

Standard Marine torso, head, right arm

Command Squad Imperial Laurel shoulder pad

SM Commander bionic chainsword arm - I replaced the chainsword and gave him company champion's power sword

Chaos Black undercoat

2 coats of watered down Orkhide Shade

1 coat of Thraka Green wash

Shining gold

Boltgun metal on the bolter and bionics

Mithril Silver on the blade

Bestial Brown on the sword haft

I still have to wash the face with Devlan mud or old Brown Ink (still have 2 pots of those from my TK days), do the teeth, paint the purity seals and wash the blade with Asurmen Blue.

Archived