Storm Lords Terminators

Garden Ninja

http://mediawonder.com/gallery/albums/userpics/Storm_Lord_Terminators~0.jpg

I haven't posted here in a while. So, I finished some Storm Lords recently (I actually never got photos of a lot of the minis).

There are more in my gallery, for those who want to click through the banner.

Comments welcome.

The Storm Lords' fluff has changed a few times throughout the history of the chapter. The 2nd ed Ultramarines Codex claims that the head color matches the company color in the same way that Ultramarines shoulder trims match their company color.

However, more recent fluff has indicated that the Storm Lords are not a codex chapter, and that the indication of helmet color is an unknown factor.

However, I painted this for a client who likes the newer fluff better. I think that the yellow gives it a good contrast that a white helmet would not afford.

However, more recent fluff has indicated that the Storm Lords are not a codex chapter, and that the indication of helmet color is an unknown factor.

I hadn't seen any newer fluff that contradicts the old. Do you know where that was mentioned? I love space marine fluff and am always looking for references.

As for the minis, they are very well done! They have a suitably grimy texture to them, very cool. 2 points of critique. One is that the spots with the scuffs in the paint don't look quite right, I think smaller scratches would "read" better. The other thing is the chapter badge on the banner should be bigger. All in all, minor things really. It's great to see the stormlords not only get some much needed attention, but for it to be done so well is an added bonus. Keep up the great work! -_-

-T.

I hadn't seen any newer fluff that contradicts the old. Do you know where that was mentioned? I love space marine fluff and am always looking for references.

Codex: Armageddon (published in 2000) lists them as deploying 2 Brotherhoods to Armageddon.

Insignium Astartes (published in 2002 and also listed in the new vanilla dex as the place to look for more Astartes info) reverts them to being a codex chapter who denote company by the helmet colour.

Codex: Armageddon (published in 2000) lists them as deploying 2 Brotherhoods to Armageddon.

Insignium Astartes (published in 2002 and also listed in the new vanilla dex as the place to look for more Astartes info) reverts them to being a codex chapter who denote company by the helmet colour.

Its interesting how some of these minor chapters come up again and again. It makes me feel like the world is larger than just the parts of the fluff that we have.

I'm trying to remember other references, but I had thought that it was around the time that the Ultramarines stopped using shoulder rims to determine companies (when they all went gold). I can't remember all of my references.

My reading is that they are not a Codex chapter, so they have companies that follow something like Space Wolf organization (every company has all kinds of troops available, rather than just following its theme). So the helmet would indicate the Brotherhood or Company, but that doesn't mean that the first company is all veterans, and 10th company is all scouts.

look amazing ninja. i believe the yellow helmet for the Storm Lords is for all marines, just like the Sons of Medusa all have white helmets. I love the Storm Lords scheme alot. I have bee trying to come up with a half-half scheme with a completely different coloured helmet after seeing the storm lords in How to paint Space Marines book. I think they are awesome.

I cannot remember if I read this officially or if it was someone's opinion but I recall reading that the Storm Lords use red-white scheme and a yellow helmet to represent the brotherhood of the Khan, with the White Scars being white and the Rampagers being red and the Mauraders being Yellow. That would make sense, and that would also make the Storm Lords the youngest of the successor chapters or the last to be created in the Second Founding.

Very nicely done :( I've always preferred the old fluff on the chapter with the yellow helmets being the same across the chapter and brotherhoods.

I cannot remember if I read this officially or if it was someone's opinion but I recall reading that the Storm Lords use red-white scheme and a yellow helmet to represent the brotherhood of the Khan, with the White Scars being white and the Rampagers being red and the Mauraders being Yellow. That would make sense, and that would also make the Storm Lords the youngest of the successor chapters or the last to be created in the Second Founding.

Sounds a little like my own very paltry attempt on fluffing the Storm Lords out.

Pretty sure thats fan fluff made up by someone who had never read the canon marking info for them and just assumed every marine looked like the example, I'm aware of no canon fluff that contradicts the helmet colour varying throughout the chapter (even tho as Garden Ninja says it may denote named brotherhoods rather than numbered companies - although since GW has apparently retconned the White Scars into using numbered companies that seems unlikely).

Hey, if they can retcon it one way, they can retcon it the other. Most of the lesser chapters have changed their official story over time (and pretty much all of the big chapters have even changed their color scheme a few times... there used to be white power armor in the Death Wing). Mind, I can't take credit for this decision, since I just paint them the way my clients ask.

I honestly feel that you should pick what you like from some of it, and discard the rest, especially if different sources contradict one another.

Here's another example of this kind of work at play. This is an Eagle's Warrior (but the color scheme, he should officially be from the 3rd company, but whose counting, right?) Again, the red on the helmet was my client's idea, but I think it turned out lovely.

http://mediawonder.com/gallery/albums/userpics/Eagle_Warriors_Demo_1.jpg

Archived