A warptime question

jur

Hi There,

Why this question. (I hope this shouldn't be in the army list section)

Most of them time I play against a friend of mine. He play's either SM, IG or TAU.

We always have friendly play but we try to build an alround army you could use in a tournament.

The previous 5 games I played with (he played with IG, SM, SM, TAU, TAU)

DP MoS LASH

DP MoS LASH

7 Plague 2xMelta Champ with Fist Rhino

7 Plague 2xPlamsa Champ with Fist Rhino

2 Oblit's

2 Oblit's

1 Dakkapret

One game was close but the other 4 I won easy.

Last night I played, just to see how that would work, with

DP MoS LASH

DP MoT Warptime

7 Plague 2xFlamer Champ with P.Weapon Rhino

7 Plague 2xPlasma Rhino

1 Defiler

1 Defiler

1 Defiler

He played Tau with 4 battlesuits (with twin-linked railgun's), 5 troop choices (3 fire warrior/2 Kroot) and 1 unit pathfinders/devilfish.

I also won these game. Marines could stay in the rhino's until turn 5 (The rhino's where immobilized so they had to walk to the objective's). Only lost my two DP.

I must say, he was a little unlucky with his twin linked railgun's. 22 twin-linked shot's and he only managed to immobilise 1 defiler, and shoot the battle cannon of the second one.

In my first turn I lashed one unit firewarriors together, killing about 8 firewarriors, 4 kroot, 2 pathfinders and the devilfish with 3 battle cannon shot's in 4 units and all those units where pinned next turn.

And here is my question, I would only have lost 1 Dp if I didn't have to re-roll my to wound roll's in my on turn. Now I killed a unit

in my turn and he shot my DP to pieces. If I don't have to take the re-roll's, I would have killed them in his turn, saving my DP and then charging into the next unit in my turn.

Greetz

Jur

From my understanding, you MUST re-roll ALL rolls to hit or wound. b/c it doesn't say only the failed or missed ones. This is what I understand from the wording on the Warptime rule.

Is this correct?

Youre wrong the codex says you MAY not you MUST (its always you MAY)

From my understanding, you MUST re-roll ALL rolls to hit or wound. b/c it doesn't say only the failed or missed ones. This is what I understand from the wording on the Warptime rule.

Is this correct?

Well, sort of.

You MAY re-roll ALL of them, or you can just not re-roll any, even if you casted Warptime.

After speaking to John Spencer of GW, he basically said that re-rolls of any kind are voluntary. You can choose to re-roll, choose not to re-roll, and choose which dice to re-roll. He also said a FAQ on this is probably forthcoming, but that this should be pretty obvious. To be honest, it's always been obvious to me.

I think I've been doing this wrong. I've only ever rerolled misses or failed to wounds. You have to reroll all or none? That's...lame. That's spending 25 points to give myself a chance at Perils of the Warp every turn just so that I can "ensure" an average roll...

Edit: I've always seen it as DemetriiTZ just stated.

It is the way Demetrii sz. I never understood the debate over this (there was ha huge one on this forum several months ago that went on for pages.Although I think it was the same few people insisting that you had to reroll everything in post after post and dozens of people disagreeing with that.

Why would anyone pay points and risk a PotW test for a power that forced them to reroll their succcessful rolls ??

-

To the OP... I suggest that in friendly play with your friend you stop using lash, PM, template spam, or you're going to be missing a person to play against. It's obvious you can beat him 7 days a week with that list and he's going to get frustrated. Play a regular fluffy list against your friend and save the spam and cheez sandwich for the tourny. Just a thought :P

That would indeed be really unbalanced. I think even now for 25 points its on the expensve side, because it only works IF you make it into combat in the first place.

But I do take it very often if I take MoN too, with warptime he just beats almost everything in hth. But failing the test hurts now and then.

Archived