Lysander and assault terminators...

Rumour Control

Hi all, Just wondered if any of you fielded lysander and 10 thunder hammer/storm shield armed terminators and how they do in games? Im thinking it may be difficult to fit 11 terminators under one template. Or maybe combat squad them? Anyone had any experience using them like this?

Many thanks. RC.

I've used Lysander attached to a 5-man squad before, equipped with TH/SS, as well as Vulkan thrown in, riding in a Land Raider Crusader. Expensive, sure, but almost nothing can punch through the armor, plus the 18" assault range is definitely painful, and this unit's chewed through virtually everything they've faced in combat. Unsupported, it'll usually take several turns for them to get whittled down, and they even stood up to a charge of something like 30 BAs (including Dante and Corbulo).

A full 10-man Terminator squad would be a bit infeasible, they can't fit in a Land Raider, even a Crusader, which means they'd have to walk or teleport, leaving them extremely vulnerable to being shot to pieces before they can do anything.

I'd think Lysander would do better in a regular terminator squad with cyclones. His bolter drill will be very effective and the squad still has powerfists to deal with high toughness guys. You do lose the 3++ save though, but it makes their shooting a lot more effective. If they get shot at with plasma or other nasty AP 1 and 2 hits, divert some hits to Lysander.

Vulkan would be my first choice if I was running a lot of TH & SS terminators. Lysander doesn't add anything special to TH & SS terminators that he couldn't add to any other squad.

Cheers guys, Ive had a couple for lysander, both you have mentioned.

10 sternguard, lysander, drop pod.

10 terminators, 2 cml, lysander.

Now the vulkan one with him and 5 th/ss terminators in a land raider crusader is tempting me.

Yeah... Vulkan has the same armor saves as Lysander and also has an assault heavy flamer. He gets to attack with a MC S6 Relic blade at I5 and can make the rest of your army a lot stronger if you spam flamers and meltas. The downside is you lose EW and the S10 MC Thunderhammer that has +1 damage against vehicles. Can't really go wrong with either option, just depends on whether you want more killyness (Vulkan) or more survivability (Lysander took a Chuck Norris roundhouse to the face and it broke Chuck's leg off).

Edit: Forgot about Lysander providing Stubborness and Bolster Defenses, both of which can be extremely useful.

(Lysander took a Chuck Norris roundhouse to the face and it broke Chuck's leg off).

Blasphemy! Lysander is Chuck Norris! It is the only the world makes sense.I concur with putting him with Sternguard, losing those rerolls makes him just a tough CC fighter and as has already been stated he adds nothing to the assault terminators they dont really need. +1Ld and a more survivable IC doesnt really make it for me.

Wan

I use Lysander in EVERY SINGLE GAME.

EVERY GAME.

For real.

I've often used him in a Thunderhammer/Stormshield squad; what I've been doing lately, however, is putting him with 5 shooty termies and having another unit of Assult Terminators with Thunderhammers as support. This spreads out the Thunderhammer awesomeness, and does make use of his cool ability. I then deepstrike them in, because I'm not a total wuss. I'm sick of people hiding one of the most resilient, badass units in the game because they are scared that they will die!

Yeah... Vulkan has the same armor saves as Lysander and also has an assault heavy flamer. ....snip

You sure Vulkan's flamer is an Assault Heavy Flamer? I'm not trying to nit pick or anything, just wondered if you knew different to me. T'would be good indeed if it were Assault, otherwise it's hardly ever gonna get fired. :P

Stubborn is probably the best ability to give your army ever. I can't remember the last time I ran from combat, and my sergeants will often hold a combat all on their own for a whole round, giving me the ability to deal with the situation instead of being overrun.

I'm sorry to say Majin that Lysanander can't be in a drop pod as models in terminator armor can not use drop pods anymore in the space marine codex.

I play Salamanders and have yet to use the Vulkan-Lysander combo. However I have had Lysander and greyknight terminators jump out of a Land raider before and it is a thing of beauty.

Yeah... Vulkan has the same armor saves as Lysander and also has an assault heavy flamer. ....snip

You sure Vulkan's flamer is an Assault Heavy Flamer? I'm not trying to nit pick or anything, just wondered if you knew different to me. T'would be good indeed if it were Assault, otherwise it's hardly ever gonna get fired. :P

Don't have my codex handy, but I'm almost certain it's Assault 1 S5, AP4 for heavy flamers, including Vulkan's.

I'm sorry to say Majin that Lysanander can't be in a drop pod as models in terminator armor can not use drop pods anymore in the space marine codex.

I don't see any rule where TDA can't go into a drop pod (it specifically says that Razorbacks/Rhinos can't carry TDA). The capacity of a drop pod is 12 models, so 10 man PA squad with 1 attached TDA character would fit. However, Terminators can NOT get drop pods as dedicated transports, so I think that's where the idea that TDA can't ride in them comes from.

Wrong.

Terminator Squads cannot select Drop Pods as Dedicated Transports, it is true, but Terminator Armoured Independent Characters have no restriction against joining (and deploying with) a Squad inside a Drop Pod. The Drop Pod even has a 12 man capacity in order to fit them.

Wrong.

Terminator Squads cannot select Drop Pods as Dedicated Transports, it is true, but Terminator Armoured Independent Characters have no restriction against joining (and deploying with) a Squad inside a Drop Pod. The Drop Pod even has a 12 man capacity in order to fit them.

this!

Well it's nice to have a Str 10 thunder hammering hard character with your Assault terminators it isn't really needed, as other people have said i love running him with a 10 man sternguard squad the re rolls are great and lysander can take low ap shots and dissuades people from attacking them.

...lysander can take low ap shots and dissuades people from attacking them.

I have found the opposite to be true, though of course I do tend to drop them right next to the scariest MC and troops my opponent has to offer. I find that Lysanders stats make the enemy kill crazy for him, which of course works in your favour because you want Lysander to be engaged with the scariest part of your opponents force its what he does best.

Wan

Archived