Command squad question

Epy

As we can see from the codex, a veteran from a command squad can be upgraded to a champion with power sword and combat shield. So what about the wargear he had when he was still a veteran? e.g. chainsword, boltgun/bolt pistol? In my opinion, he loses all of them and only get his new gear which are power sword and combat shield.

However, that make him quite... say, of limited usage. Because if so, he also loses his frag/krak grenades, and since he no longer has a pistol/chainsword he will never have the additional +1 attack bonus in close combat. Won't that be better just spend this 15 points to get a power sword for any veteran? That +1 attack bonus is surely enough to cover the lose of +1 WS I think.

The wording does not say that he loses his previous equipment to me. Plus, the combat shield in the command squad sprue has a bolt pistol attached to it, so that would make the basic command squad company champion not conform with WYSIWYG, so I doubt that is what the rules are intended to say.

• 3 months later...
Gonna bump this to see if anyone else wants to weigh in. If he doesn't have the additional gear, then yeah, he's pretty useless. Against WS4, he only equals a Powersword Vet on the charge. Otherwise the Vet does better.

I never understood why people think the Company Champion sucks, until I saw this thread.

Nothing in the rules say the Veteran "upgraded" to the Company Champion looses any of his orignial equipment. So, for +15 points, you get:

Power Armor

Chainsword

Frag and Krak Grenades

Bolter or Bolt Pistol

Power Weapon

Combat Shield

WS 5

That WS 5 is essentially 'free', and makes the Champion better against most opponents than a Veteran armed with a Lightning Claw. 4 Attacks, hitting on 3+, killing on 4+ will reliable remove one MEQ, and has a greater potential for damage. That Combat Shield is also 'free' but is essentially worthless as well... but it does look cool.

Archived