Ultramarine Venerable Dreadnought

Hello all,

Just wanted to post my first complete piece for my Ultramarine army. I'm still waiting on the arms to dry before adding them, so expect a new picture in the next few days, but this will do for now.

This was my first time using MIG Pigments and Tamiya weathering sticks, but I think it came out well. I wanted a heavily weathered and corroded look to the metallics and the beast itself.

I'm quite pleased with it, but unfortunately the pictures don't do it justice. Hopefully it looks better in the new ones.

Well enjoy.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/WarForgeStudios/Personal%20Armies/Ultramarines/Dreadnought001.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/WarForgeStudios/Personal%20Armies/Ultramarines/Dreadnought002.jpg

Hey Astador, you have had some fun with the weathering on the dread and the application of the weathering materials are very good... But, (isnt there always! :tu: ) the areas you have applied the weathering to aren't right on the legs as the joints are constantly moving they would be heavily greased and/or due to the contact would be polishing themselves (ooer missus) each time the leg moved, so rust and grime would not have the oportunity to take hold there.

Id also say that the slits on the engine sides are heat sinks (these are open to interpretation) but as you have gone with rust on these areas as well i would apply a very light wash or drybrush of a dark colour as the weathering in these areas look out of place.

The exaust stacks are good but lack depth, my recipy is silver, blue wash (to replicate the heat treatment by the exaust), light brown, dark brown, black. Always does the trick for me!

Like i said otherwise its great, the application of the weathering is good and the painting is good as well! :D

Keep it up buddy.

S.O.N.

Hey all,

sorry for the delay in replying. I've been busy with work and classes.

To answer some questions and critique now.

:cuss

Terminatorinhell:

The Tamiya Weathering sticks can be found here.

It works fairly well, but requires a little additional brushwork after applying it. The MIG Pigments, I bought on Ebay, CMoN seems to regularly be out of stock of most the selection.

Question on the Arms:

Thanks for your concern, as I said on my first post the arms weren't completely dry when I took the picture for a friend of mine. It is also why the background is just my iPhone and work desk. Once I get a little more free time and charge my camera, I'll update with proper photo's.

For the critique:

Thank you all for the comments on the rust, I understand that the rust is heavy where it shouldn't be.

Unfortunately some of the shadow has been washed out in the pictures, the black stacks are also MIG Pigments just applied slightly differently from the rust, which in the photo's doesn't show. The vent slits that most people paint black just didn't feel right that way so I decided to try the rust. There is also rust pigments applied to several of the recess' in the armour where rust could build up.

And the comment about such misuse of equipment being punishable by death:

It is :) It's in the IG Manufactorum booklet sold in GW stores for very little money. :) The list also includes leaving your weapon unattended, dropping it on the battle field, and several other methods for which an Imperial Servant may be summarily executed due to equipment misuse.

On another note:

I will hopefully be posting more pictures from my growing Ultramarine army, as well as some board appropriate Demon entries, like 2 OOP Forgeworld Statues/Busts.

More soon. Keep the critique and comments coming!

Thanks!

Aj

Well I think this dreadnought looks absolutely superb. I'm very keen to see some clearer pics with better lighting though.

In regards to the placement of rust- it is pretty much impossible to say with certainty where rust will build. For instance, imagine the metal sections of the legs to be coated in some form of chrome or other surface covering to prevent rust. In such a case the moving parts would be where the rust builds since the friction would rub away the coating which would then crack away and spread from the actual point of contact. Rust would then appear where the coating has cracked away from the point of contact. At the actual point of contact the rust probably wouldn't have the chance to build, but in the adjacent areas it would. And on a model at this scale that pretty much means letting the rust settle in the joints. If you check out photos of rust you'll see that it can appear pretty much anywhere- all it takes is one chip to allow the metal to oxidise and a lack of cleaning.

have you concidered making a marine (perhaps who has lost his rifle) who is on corrosion control duty? (give him a wire toothbrush, a rag, and a bottle of CC to wipe down youre Ven. Dread)

just for kicks of course )

mass corrosion aside... that dread is awe inspireing

Thanks for the kind comments Tortoise! ;) As well as some explanation on rust.

I'm a huge fan of your work, especially your Emperor's Children! I've been watching them over on Warseer since you started! :P

Well I'm very glad you like them. And thank you, for without this thread I would never have known that such things as weathering sticks existed and now I'm extremely keen to try them out. In particular I've just started work on a 90mm historical model that I'd like to try them out on.

War Angel:

That's not a bad idea at all :P

I may have to consider it, although perhaps a servitor or something similar. ;)

Tortoise:

Your going to have to add me on MSN or PM me so I can see how that goes! :)

I'm working on the Space Wolf Statue from FW and the Space Wolf Bust from FW (Which will be getting the good old Ultramarine treatment after seeing the Ultramarine statue on CMoN)

I received my orders from Dragon Forge and The Warstore today, so now I have several new Vallejo paints to try and the plinth for the contest entry that should guarantee my trip to Toronto or Chicago or maybe both! :) Unfortunately that model isn't board appropriate so no pictures!

Haha Well I am looking forward to seeing your progress! :blink:

I should have new pictures this weekend, I was playing with my new Vallejo paints on the Space Wolf statue, and waiting on the camera to charge, but I won't have time for new pictures until Saturday. But the good news is, I will hopefully have more to show when I get the camera charged!! <_<

To wet your appetite for more, here is the Wolf's face pre-stripping, just playing with some new paints. The primer was rough in certain area's so he was getting simple greened, and I decided to try some paints on his face and chest before doing it! :blink: Pictures courtesy of my Apple iPhone 3G.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/WarForgeStudios/Dreadnought004.jpg

Archived