[Artwork] Sanguinius

Drachenfell

Eh.. This might come off as negative, but I'm aiming for honesty..

I don't think of Sanguinius like this. I can't imagine him lifting off with that much armour on. I tend to imagine him wearing a stripped down version of power/artificier armour. The recon/combat armour to the t-51, if you get the Fallout reference.

That being said, it's a good piece of artwork. Very solid and dramatic. Just not what I imagine at all.

We had originally wanted include several other elements to the piece that in the end didn't work out. The premise was of Sanguinius with massive wings (larger than the final ones) with numerous figures impaled on the feathers themselves.

Unfortunately when we got to this point it was far too hard to make it in any way believable so we kinda dropped it. We had also envisioned much lighter armour but it just didn't feel as though it would look right.

When you consider the sheer size of a primarch along with the obvious muscle bulk one must have, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think of that armour as quite tight fitting. But we honestly did consider less bulky armour but just couldn't really see it as working.

Even so I think the final result is far better. Many thanks to yourself Colrouphobic too. :P Promise to post the hi-res version for you guys when it's received.

~Drach

An exquisite piece of art you have there Colrouphobic! I am at a loss of words to praise it enough!

Most other illustrations of Sanguinius portray him a thin and delicate, hardly doing justice to a Primarch the broke greater deamons over he's knee. Now there is finally a representation of Sanguinius that you can point to and say: "That guy will kick your rear end!" and not be secretly afraid that he might break a nail in the process!

Cheers guys,

I have a personal painting project coming up, I'm doing Jagathai Khan (can be seen some images of him on Ordo Illuminatus in my 40k topic there ( http://z4.invisionfree.com/illuminatus/index.php? ), I'm also doing Russ after that, and after that I'm painting Lion El'johnson. Any of these could become commissions and so that would push it to a faster rate of showing them, but otherwise they are all personal projects and as such they take a bit longer.

After Drache emailed me asking if I could post a larger image for purposes of you guys as well as wallpaper-purposes, I am going to post it at 24% right here, in this very topic. Just need to find a proper spot to upload it to.

Expect a larger version within the hour.

To be honest, my favorite part of this piece is the composition. It's quite powerful. Very nice, and choice in colours presents a very striking image enhanced by the boldness of Sanguinuis' colours, and posture. Really nice stuff.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e44/colrouphobic/Commissioned%20Work/f85a9292.jpg

Best I could do for now guys, sorry, this is more like 20% but it will be a bit larger in any case. I couldn't find a reliable spot on-line to put up a larger file at, that made it possible to link image here.

Cheers guys!

Very impressive!!! i was thinking from before i saw this picture to make a emperors champion with a winged helmet.

But the wings from the dark angels kit are too big i think and they dont really fit the crusader type helmets...

any ideas?

Unfortunately I don't, I'm not doing the miniature part of the hobby any more. I'm sure someone else would be able to help though.

My jaw actually dropped for a second there.

This is beyond anything I've ever seen on this board..

Thank you, I disagree, but thank you :)

Col. That is awesome. And, cause I am doing the Lion too, could you help?

Ask away over at Ordo Illuminatus. If I have the time and possibility I would help in any way I can.

By the God emperor sweetie socks that epic :o :devil:

hmm, that's an idea for a relic- "the emperors socks!!!"

deviantart would be a good place for hosting.

Yeah, I got a DA account, they don't allow hotlinking though ;)

i have an idea for your next projects :P maybe do them in their greatest feats like Russ smashing a Warlord titan, or Fulgrim slicing Ferrus's head off or even Horus saving the emperor from that huge ork overlord.

Those are really cool ideas- especially like the idea of primarch fighting primarch...there are a couple of those happenings throughout the timeline...

Archived