Lords of The Night by Simon Spurrias

I'm completely biased here, but I thought it was a really great book. Gives (possible) deeper reasons as to why the Night Lords became traitors and is overall a great read. I'm just a little sad Spurrier never followed it up with anything.

The general consensus here (using searchy) has it down as a good book, and personally speaking - I liked it. And I went in trying to pick it apart. :)

Just run an advanced search for "Simon Spurrier" and you'll see what I mean.

A book that I consider equal to Storm of Iron, beeing one of the best novels detailing with csm.

i'd pretty much agree with you there, although i wish Mcneil would do a proper follow up to storm of iron instead of cameo's here and there by honsou :cuss

funny thing is i only read lord of the night about 5 weeks ago, was a great read and dunno how it managed to pass my by before now heh

I found it ok, there were a few decent bits, but also some pretty annoying ones. Unfortunately I could not bring myself to believe that a Chaos Marine with Jump pack could move out of an air duct in complete silence and kill someone before his company even noticed his presence. It was also distracting that the protagonist, who was appearently some important Night Lord, had not the slightest idea about the true nature of the Night Lords and what they were doing, though admittedly that does get explained in the end.

I found it ok, there were a few decent bits, but also some pretty annoying ones. Unfortunately I could not bring myself to believe that a Chaos Marine with Jump pack could move out of an air duct in complete silence and kill someone before his company even noticed his presence. It was also distracting that the protagonist, who was appearently some important Night Lord, had not the slightest idea about the true nature of the Night Lords and what they were doing, though admittedly that does get explained in the end.

Well, its supposed to make their intentions pretty grey and offer an alternate possibility to why the legion has fallen so far.

I liked the book. There are holes, and plenty of things to pick at. But its fun, and it gives a different look at Chaos. But its not Dan Abnett or anything.

It is, quiet possibly, the best book ever published by Black Library. It represents The Night Lords legion in all its glory and faults. It's a terrific book, and I have friends who don't even play 40k, and enjoy the book. When it can cross that boundary, you know you have something worthwhile.

Last I heard, Mr. Spurrier was busy with a contract, writing several independent novels. But, that was a while ago. So... probably no sequel. A shame, really.

It is, quiet possibly, the best book ever published by Black Library. It represents The Night Lords legion in all its glory and faults. It's a terrific book, and I have friends who don't even play 40k, and enjoy the book. When it can cross that boundary, you know you have something worthwhile.

Last I heard, Mr. Spurrier was busy with a contract, writing several independent novels. But, that was a while ago. So... probably no sequel. A shame, really.

You havn't read Eisenhorn of Gaunt's Ghosts series then?

I honestly think it's a bit overrated. The main character seesaws from being implausibly stealthy and lethal to almost comically pathetic (he faints--a lot) and the most interesting character at least to me is the inquisitor Mita who well I won't spoil it but let's just say that she shows herself to be more than an equal to this particular 10,000 year old Chaos marine, which says a lot about them both.

it was generally nice but some parts were just inconsistent. a big factor for what makes it nice is the fact that we don't have many chaos space marine novels so the few that do exist are regarded with reverence :wub: ^_^

I think it's definitely one of the better 40k novels, and is much more faithful to the spirit of the 40k universe than a lot of other stuff. The protagonist's motivations are portrayed in a fairly convincing 3-dimensional way, there are few clearly defined "good/bad guys" and the Xenos influence is sufficiently alien. Everything feels rock solid.

I have only a few criticisms of the novel, mostly related to the occasionally over-flowery prose that Spurrier employs, particularly when describing something very gory. It loses its effect through repetition. He was quite young when he wrote this, and I'm sure that his style has matured since, however. The other thing that kind of annoyed me, personally, was the main character's reaction to the arrival of his Legion at the end of the book. It was difficult for me to understand the nature of his criticisms, given his own savage, sadistic and primitive behavior throughout the novel. I get the whole "Focus and cunning versus bloodlust and sadism" thing, but it just sort of.... rang hollow. Maybe that was the point, though.

well as the stealth goes . even today raptor jump packs are vastlly superior to the loyalist ones , and he was their master pre heresy . they had some pretty hardcore stuff back then .

I like the book because it shows how unstable csm are . It shows the gloom mood the NL have . As his fainting goes. I dont know imagine a sw finding out that Russ want chaos ? the fact that the sm are hard doesnt mean they cant break and if they break they do it hard [most of the time going mad]. Remember for Zso the only thing important is the corona , because it and the legion are the main tool to fullfil his masters plan . He will do anything to get it[and he more or less does that]. And then he sees that the legion is no more . The legion from Cruzes plan is not focused , not pure in hatred , it has no other goal then fear for fear itself. For Zso thats the worse thing that could happenor almost as the Ax Master tells him about something even more horrific, but Zso disbelieves it . Because if the Ax Master speaks the truth then there is only madness for him.

Wanted to get pumped about Chaos Space Marines, so I ordered Dark Disciple, Dark Apostle, Lord of the Night, and Daemon World.

Didn't really dig the Word Bearer books too much (Disciple and Apostle). Am stuck about halfway through the second one.

Enjoyed Lord of the Night. I like how the story bounced between two main characters and perspectives.

Daemon World was fun. It reminded me of 40K stories where loyalist Space Marines recruit from feral worlds, except is was on a nasty daemon world and there were no happy marines there.

- Blackbone

The general consensus here (using searchy) has it down as a good book, and personally speaking - I liked it. And I went in trying to pick it apart. ;)

Just run an advanced search for "Simon Spurrier" and you'll see what I mean.

Is it that good? I might have to give it a go then.

I've read the Eisenhorn series and Gaunt's Ghosts all the way through the Saint omnibus, and after reading Lord of the Night I'd probably rank it up there, even higher than Storm of Iron. I finished Storm of Iron and I felt no more strongly about starting a Chaos army than I had before. I finished reading Lord of the Night and started looking up guides on how to paint Lightning effects, scoured eBay for deals on a Night Lords army/bits, and only by sheer force of will (ie, owning an unfinished Grey Knights army) did I convince myself to hold out.

One day... :D

Short version: good book, not as good as Abnett but it's up there, and if you are a CSM fan (or, even better, a Night Lords fan) looking for a book you'll love this.

If you read Spurriers other work Lord of the Night will shock you as it is clearly his best work.

Perhaps not the greatest BL work it is very good (and i would like Spurrier to do a HH Novel).

Guest pandion40

It's a very good book. I had trouble getting into it at first. Took me months to get past the first chapter, but once I did I didn’t put it down until it was finished.

I'd personally say it was better than Abnett but then I’ve never understood the massive Abnett love. He must be good as he's always the first name mentioned whatever forum you go to but I just don't find him very interesting, and I've read allot of his books.

Personally i think it's one of the best Black Library books i ever read.

Quite a unique approach.

I never found Abnett all that interesting either. Personal taste i guess.

*awaits the inevitable Abnett fanboys to pop in and curse me for being some sort of illiterate barbarbian*

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the book and once i started i couldn't put it down. Finished it in 18 hours of reading. And i have to say it was damned good. Amazing the amount of depth he managed to achieve in terms of thematic struggles of "good" and "evil" as i don't usually expect that depth in a sci-fi fantasy book.

Also solidified my plans to start a puritan night lords army <_<

Archived