CoI-III: Grendelwulf's Deathwatch

My workbench has an inch of dust on it and my plastic bitz have been trying to merge together on their own in the form of some great hulking styrene chaos spawn. Thank the Emperor for the Call of the Imperium III!

Wanting to branch away from my old armies, I thought building a battle company of Deathwatch would be interesting. NO, I did not swear to build an entire company for the CoI-III! That's just a long term goal. My oath commits me to build one Captain and two Tactical Squads.

I have been compiling a list of SM Chapters for their insignia and have even placed an order to GW for some of their new metal shoulder pads (I am terrible with decals). It is surprising how many insignia can be made from the same shoulder pad. Of course, I say this now...I could regret this when I actually try and paint the pads.

For the basic Deathwatch trooper, I will be using black and silver. The only difference I may make is to paint the helmets in the original chapter colours as well as the entire shoulder pad (as opposed to keeping the Deathwatch's silver trim on the pad).

They should look something like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Grendelwulf/dwatch.jpg

Would the many helmets in different colours be too distracting for the Deathwatch theme?

C&C welcome...

Ciao,

CDR Grendelwulf

I think you may have to stick with standard black helmets for these guys, if only because the extra colors from the helmets do cause a bit of un-wanted eye distraction.

Other than that, looking forward to seeing these Deathwatch marines come off the painting line :P

I think the helmets -might- be a little distracting, the Deathwatch Scheme is primarly all Black, with the exception of the Chapter Shoulder Pad. It's up to you though, however you want to paint your models, go for it mate!

Get a Blood Raven in there, and I'll be happy! :P

Hmm, the coloured helms may be a distraction...especially if there's one or more of the same colour in a squad. Not to mention it is starting to give me the image of a bowl full of M&M candies....okay, M&M's blasting deadly hellfire shells to purge the unclean Xenos, but still...M&M's. When I get building, maybe I'll paint a few extra heads different colours and fit them on the models to really see them.

Until then, I will aim for the traditional black:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Grendelwulf/dwatch2.jpg

Ciao,

CDR Grendelwulf

Okay, my bitz order arrived today with a whole bunch of shiny metal shoulder pads.

My plans are to use the pads for multiple chapters. Here are my comparisons...

Blood Angel pad

Blood Angels, Angels Encarmine, Angels Vermillian, Blood Ravens

BloodAngels.gifAngelsEncarmine.gifAngelsVermillion.gifBloodRavens.gif

Eagle Warrior pad

Eagle Warriors, Angels of Absolution, Angels Porphyr, Black Wings, Dark Eagles, Emperors Hawks

EagleWarriors.gifAngelsOfAbsolution.gifAngelsPorphyr.gifBlackWings.gifDarkEagles.gifEmperorsHawks.gif

Imperial Fist pad

Imperial Fists, Crimson Fists, Fire Lords, Subjugators

ImperialFists.gifCrimsonFists.gifFire_Lords.gifSubjugators.gif

Mentor pad

Mentors, Black Consuls, Raptors, Raptors-Badab, Warrior Adepts, White Consuls

Mentors.gifBlackConsuls.gifRaptors.gifRaptors_Badab.gifWarriorAdepts.gifWhiteConsuls.gif

continued...

Silver Skull pad

Silver Skulls, Death Knights, Mortifactors, Red Hunters

SilverSkulls.gifDeathKnights.gifMortifactors.gifRedHunters.gif

Space Wolf Ragnar pad

Space Wolves, Lion Warriors, Red Wolves, Tigers Argent, White Panthers

SpaceWolves.gifLion_Warriors.gifRedWolves.gifTigers_Argent.gifWhitePanthers.gif

I also have some of the ol' crossed-swords assault pads, which would be great for

Emperors Warbringers, Guardians of the Covenant, Sable Swords

EmperorsWarbringers.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Grendelwulf/GCA2.jpgSable_Swords.gif

Ciao,

CDR Grendelwulf

i think ths could be very cool :P i like to see how this turns out.. but i do have one question are you gonna try the alpha legion shoulder pads for the Salamanders? I heard it works very well.

Great idea, thanks.

That may wait for my next bitz order to get the Aurora, Dark Angel, Genesis, Praetors of Orpheus, & Ultramarine pads.

Hmm, I wonder if the bullish

Word Bearer pad

WordBearers.gif would be suitable for

Brazen Minotaurs, Minotaurs, White Minotaurs

Brazen_Minotuars.gifMinotaurs.gifWhite_Minotaurs.gif

Ciao,

CDR Grendelwulf

*chuckles* your gonna make Minotaurs *smirks* the loyalist version of khrone berezkers in the fluff. thats gonna be a fun one for ya.

The beauty of Deathwatch is I only need to paint the chapter insignia on the shoulder pad. If I said I was painting a squad of Minotaurs...with all of the yellow/red striping...Aiiieeee! :devil: Just shoot me now!

I've got the bitz put aside for my first squad of ten so far. I'll just finish clearing my painting desk and I will be ready for the official start on the 13th.

Ciao,

CDR Grendelwulf

ah i see i see. sometimes I wonder if i shouldn't personally try to do a Minotuars army and post it uphere on B&C just to see what people would say. I think i would get one of 2 responces. 1. "what was going through your mind when you decided to do this!" and 2. "wow... i never do it but wow"

• 2 weeks later...

Whoah! Where did this month go?

I haven't settled down to do anything until recently. No time for painting yet...

UPDATE #1 April 26th 2009

2 weeks into the CoI-III, and here is my first incomplete squad:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Grendelwulf/2009_CoI_001.jpg

Here's to May being a better month...

Ciao,

CDR Grendelwulf

UPDATE #2 May 1, 2009

Okay, the squads are still incomplete, but I got into abit of production line building today.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Grendelwulf/2009_CoI_002.jpg

I am unofficially going over my original quota of 2 squads & commander,

but I am moving as the Emperor commands me too.

108 marines and counting...

Ciao,

CDR Grendelwulf

• 2 weeks later...

i can't wait to see what happens, i was gonna do this but I'm not in the financial situation to order hat many death watch parts, i was gonna have the in primarch based squads, like BT, IF and CF in one and DA and the successors in another if you get what I'm saying

good luck its going good so far :)

Were can u get the special inscripted death watch pads?

Here is the GW link to the Deathwatch Kill Team Conversion Kit

This is what you get:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1183519_99110101367_BitzDeathwatchConversionMain_445x319.jpg

I am only using these metal bitz for sergeants, veterans, & commanders.

For the "standard" Deathwatch trooper, I am using the plastic Inquisitor shoulder pads from the space marine command squad sprue. Auction sites, bitz stores, & trades have allowed me to collect a hundred of these already.

Ciao,

CDR Grendelwulf

Archived