CoC-III: Grendelwulf's Dark Mechanicus

Grendelwulf, could you give us a quick tutorial of how you married the DA robed legs with the CSM torsos? I absolutely LOVE the look and would like to do a few character models in my homemade CSM force the same way.

I would love to say it was some crafty innovation, but the truth is it is as simple as putting the front torso on the back torso piece. The DA robes have the back already attached. It is that simple.

I like the red/silver color combo but I know red can be a real PITA to paint and often takes several coats. I wouldn't blame you if you cose the green scheme instead.

I almost did, since I was first envisioning them as an army of renegade techmarine types. Then, it was pointed out to me how very similar they were to the Word Bearers colour scheme.

Edit: Actually I really like the dark metallic w/ black robes and red pauldrons. I'd paint that in a heartbeat.

I still do. As much as I do the Doc Doom scheme. I may split my models and do two armies,

one for 40K fluffy Dark Mechanicus and the one for a DIY serving under the traitorous Forgefather Doom.

Edit #2: How did you combine the SM and CSM painters? Ya I know, I'm a newb...

Ah, now this IS some crafty innovation on my part! :)

1. I use whatever chosen colour scheme in both painters.

2. Save a picture of each final marine onto my PC.

3. Then, I carefully select which details I want from both pictures.

4. Copy them into my photo/paint program of choice.

5. Splice them together a piece at a time, smoothing out where colours meet and details blend, etc.

Viola! New personalized space marine with loyal/chaos details.

It takes a little getting used to, but I have gotten quicker at it. I should make a few templates of the individual details to make it easier to do multiple changes without having to start from scratch every time, but with having to change colours here and there it can be an unavoidable part of the process.

Ciao,

CDR Grendelwulf

• 4 weeks later...

This month went too quick for me.

Some quick pics for now.

Added bionics to a third of my Dark Mechanicus marines so far.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Grendelwulf/2009_CoC_006.jpg

Managed to get about 80 of these badges for the chapter symbol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Grendelwulf/2009_CoC_007.jpg

One of my Aspiring Champion/Magos. Who says Inquisitor model bitz are too big?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Grendelwulf/2009_CoC_008.jpg

I had hoped to have all heads, backpacks, etc complete by now & have the models ready for painting by June, so its going to be down to the wire for next month...

Ciao,

CDR Grendelwulf

Archived