The Enclave WIP thread

NemFX

This is wierd, I just looked at the names you've given your squad, and on of them is called Wilson, thats my surname, and another is called paterson, my history teacher is called paterson :S

Well, either your descended from some classical American names, which descended from British names, or you guys swiped names from the Founding Fathers and American presidents too.

Or maybe I'm lurking outside of your window right now. Go see!

1 tip on the painting: wash them ^^

it looks so much better with that wash going over the models.. try it ^^

I'll see what I can do. I tried drybrushing some, but it didn't quite work..

Try a mix of both. Dry brush then wash. I did a model using both and it came out pretty decent. although it does take quite a while, it comes out with quite a faded look on it.

Try a mix of both. Dry brush then wash. I did a model using both and it came out pretty decent. although it does take quite a while, it comes out with quite a faded look on it.

I'll see what I can manage. I'm trying to figure out how to base my flying Predator, then I'll put up the second scout squad.

I'll see what I can manage. I'm trying to figure out how to base my flying Predator, then I'll put up the second scout squad.

I just put photos of it up in my new WIP, check it out.

For awhile, I've felt like my Enclave was missing something.

I mean, the base was missing (got that) the original vertibird stand-in was wrong (fixed that too) about a third of the army is still unpainted (oh well) and part of their base is still in at least two different stores (going shopping on wendsday) but I figured it out today.

A hot medic.

So, I sketched one up earlier.

Here's the sketch:

gallery_21363_3463_57098.jpg

Doctor Keller, she insists upon being called a medic, was recruited from a nearby village in the wasteland. Her medical skills were noticed after she was seen repairing an injured scout who had deep shrapnel lacerations.

When she was offered employment, she initially resisted, but accepted when it was agreed that her village would receive free purified water rations. The higher ups anticipated this stalling tactic, however, they had expected more demands, so when the water delivery was offered for every other week, instead of once a month, she jumped on the offer. Water is a rare and precious resource in the wasteland, so this is probably the best offer she could have hoped for.

Unfortunately, she has become emotionally connected to her work; forming friendships with the marines whenever possible. This has ultimately affected her morale, though surprisingly, not her work. A more than competent doctor, she has formally renounced her title, in her own words: "Doctors make people better. All I do is make them comfortable. While they die."

She has also renounced the reductor. This was at first seen with confusion, but after she explained, the chapter as a whole understood. When a transport unloaded a squad of seriously wounded marines, Keller was performing triage. After she had diagnosed a marine, and offered the Emperor's peace, a nearby marine, more severely wounded than his squadmate, also realized he would not be able to continue fighting either. Neither was eligible for entombment in a dreadnaught shell, so the despondent marine committed suicide with a damaged plasma pistol, which then exploded. Keller's right arm still carries a large number of second degree burns. Since then, a special knife has been developed for her funerary services. Essentially a power-knife. The main reason for this is to allow her to perform the Emperor's peace quickly and silently. It also helps her if she needs to remove power armour segments that have been fused shut by combat damage. The Enclave agrees; the armour can be replaced, lives cannot.

She has a small team of medical servitors to aid her work, and her office and quarters are highly defended. Indeed, there are few marines who don't see it as an honour to stand watch for her.

Though emotionally fragile, she is an asset that cannot be replaced. The Enclave as a whole has tried to be as accommodating as possible, as her role is unique and valued, but only one imposition has ever been placed upon her. She refuses to wear armour, as she considers herself a noncombatant, however even though she rarely leaves the base, there have been too many close calls with unexploded bolter rounds being lodged in armour, and so, she has been ordered to wear a minimum of a flak vest over her doctor robes. She has grudgingly accepted this.

With the only exception of the complete commander of the Enclave, Keller is literally the most important member of the Enclave, and is charged with protecting the future of the chapter, as well as maintaining it's current operational status.

WIP model tomorrow. Completed one the day after, probably. Also, I entered a contest over on a certain parts online retailer that rhymes with.. Okay, well, I can't come up with anything not offensive, so basically bitzbox. So if I win, the Enclave are getting a valkyrie.

• 1 month later...

Okay, so the Enclave are going to a tournament in 3 days.

The army is only half done at best.

I currently have to finish:

The chapter master, dreadnaught, predator, sniper scouts, shotgun scouts, sternguard.

I have no superglue, and my best brush is broken.

We'll see how this goes.

But the really annoying thing.. My Enclave is supposed to be (at least thematically) a preheresy army. The problem? The chapter symbols I've painted. At least seven of them are currently wrong. I got my hands on the Rogue Trader rulebook today, and the older symbols are very different. I won't have time to do them over if I'm to get the army as a whole at least cohesive enough to be playable.

So I guess that's a memo to myself. Also, get more superglue and take pictures.

• 4 weeks later...

So, long time, no update. My bad. I got a blogspot account, and pretty much all of my updates have been on there. So, I'll rectify that now.

The link to the blog is http://nemfxslegions.blogspot.com/

I still am trying to finish Keller's model, I need to find her a right arm and figure out what to do with it..

Anyway, here's the update: Back on the 26th or so of October, the Enclave entered a tournament, pretty much last minute. The night before, I found out there was a point restriction of 1250. Pretty arbitrary. Also, it meant I couldn't take any of the stuff I had painted the few days before. But continuing on, the breakdown of the Enclave's excursionary force was like this:

Chapter master + relic blade + artificer armour.

Shotgun scouts, 1o man

Sniper scouts, Telion proxy, missile launcher, 10 man

Assault squad, two flamers, 10 man, meltabomb, rhino

Assault squad, two flamers, 10 man, meltabomb, rhino

Dreadnaught, two twin linked autocannons

Predator, twin linked lazcannon turret, lazcannon sponsons, storm bolter

Looked something like this:

gallery_21363_3463_23973.jpg

.. I forgot to doodle in the flamers.

First battle: Enclave vs Dark Angels.

Dark Angels have some crazy rules to support them. Apparently they can shoot, then move, then assault. Relentless or something? Anyway, bike squads with flamers pretty much destroyed all my scouts on turn one. So I blasted them to oblivion with an orbital strike. As the game was a take and hold (seriously, 5th edition is all objective sitting) my guys lost, but they fought well. Simply put, the loss of twenty plus models on the first turn really screwed with my original strategy.

Second battle: Enclave vs Chaos Marines.

I forget if it was a skull taker or a champion, but the Khorne guy that's on a Juggernaut? Yeah. Shoot him. Alot. Apparently he has something like 15 power weapon attacks. He pretty much did all the fighting, along with a couple of bodyguards, the rest of the Chaos army just sat around on their objectives, in their rhinos. Obliterators wrecked my vehicles, so I had to make a run across the table. Didn't stand a chance.

Third battle: Enclave vs Chaos Daemons.

Never fought against Daemons before. First few turns, the Enclave was clearing house. Bloodletters are very fun to shoot with shotgun scouts. The three point attack of Epidemus, Skulltaker on chariot, and plaguebearers? Not so fun. Plaguebearers get stronger the more things die. Alot stronger. I ended up getting whittled down to a single rhino.

Fourth battle: Enclave vs Dark Eldar.

This was the kind of battle I was expecting. Mechanized. The problem; Dark Eldar vehicles look the same. I took down a Ravager with a Telion/missile launcher scout combo shot, and immobilized most of his fleet, but the sheer number of heavy weapons he blasted me with, while using his Lord+Incubus squad to mop up whatever was left? Whittled down to a dread, who fought particularly well.

The Enclave came in dead last. Mostly because I was stubborn, and wanted to fight out everything to the last. If I had conceded sooner, I would have gotten more points and probably been second last. Ah well, at least now I know what works, what doesn't, and what to change. The lessons paid in blood will not be forgotten. The next time the Enclave take the field, they will literally TAKE the field.

I'll see about getting them some new things tomorrow. Might even take a proper picture of the expiditionary force before I retool the entire army.

"Doctors make people better. All I do is make them comfortable. While they die."

reminds me of RvsB

Doc: I'm not a doctor I'm a medic

Church: what's the differance ?

Doc: Doctors make people better. All I do is make them comfortable. While they die

Church: right, note to self: don't get shot

Hope the dark angels were terminators or bikers moving and shooting and not regular marines

"Doctors make people better. All I do is make them comfortable. While they die."

reminds me of RvsB

Doc: I'm not a doctor I'm a medic

Church: what's the differance ?

Doc: Doctors make people better. All I do is make them comfortable. While they die

Church: right, note to self: don't get shot

Hope the dark angels were terminators or bikers moving and shooting and not regular marines

Indeed! Most of my armies have media references. That one was actually a double reference. The first part is to Doctor Who, in the episode 'The sound of drums' the second is to Red vs Blue character Doc.

The bikes and terminators were moving and shooting. My Enclave are getting a bike squad as we speak. Well, less bike, more jeep.

• 3 months later...

Okay, so, the Enclave is currently looking something like this:

HQ 1: Marneus Calgar

+3 honour guard squad, banner

+3 rhinos

+3 drop pods

HQ 2: Captain with artificier armour, 2 plasma pistols, 2 auxiliary grenade launchers

+ command squad, 5 plasma guns, banner

Troop 1: Tactical squad of 10, flamer, missile launcher, razorback with lazcannons

Troop 2: Tactical squad of 10, flamer, missile launcher, razorback with lazcannons

Troop 3: Tactical squad of 10, flamer, missile launcher, razorback with lazcannons

Troop 4: Tactical squad of 10, flamer, missile launcher, razorback with lazcannons

Troop 5: Scout squad of 10, shotguns, rhino

Troop 6: Scout squad of 10, sniper rifles, missile launcher, Telion, rhino

Heavy 1: Vindicator

Heavy 2: Vindicator

Heavy 3: Predator with lazcannons

Elites 1: Terminator squad of 10, stormbolters/powerfists, 2 heavy flamers, free land raider redeemer

Elites 2: Venerable dread with two twin linked lazcannon arms

Elites 3: Legion of the damned squad of 10

Fast Attack 1: Land speeder storm

Fast Attack 2: Bike squad of 8, attack bike

Fast Attack 3: Land speeder squad of 3, Typhoon missile launchers

Granted, of all that, I have only maybe half of that made, and of all the transports listed, I only have one rhino, but still.

Here's some art:

gallery_21363_3463_72977.jpg

• 1 month later...

Long time, no nothing.

And technically this will be no different.

Huge update for this thing coming soon, I just have to find the camera cord. I mean, I could take blurry webcam shots, but I already did that alot.

I like to think of the Enclave as a fairly practical, if misguided army. In the games, they either use the wrong camo entirely (as reflected by my scouts) or they use their awesome weapons when conventional ones would be more practical. That said, the dreadnought I've been using to this point isn't exactly practical. It's realistically sized (i.e. huge) and it's weapons loadout is good (two twin linked autocannons) but it's a swiss army knife in a swordfight. So I decided to make a new one. Instead of scratchbuilding the new one, I looked at GW's current model line. Space marine dreadnoughts look silly to me. In the art, they are impressive when drawn to scale, but the models are cartoon representations at best. So I looked through all of the mech shapes available. T'au and Eldar are too frail, the Dark Eldar Taltos is good, but a little too advanced for my purposes..

I decided that instead of this:

med_gallery_21363_1084_56522.jpg

I would use this:

med_gallery_21363_1084_25509.jpg

..albeit with some modifications of course.

It will be a venerable dread with a twin linked lazcannon and a twin linked autocannon. The idea is that the lazcannon will pop a vehicle, then the autocannon will pop the contents. I've had some good luck with the autocannons, crippling dark eldar vehicles, so I'm not just gonna toss them entirely.

"But that's an Ork vehicle!"

They steal from us, it's only fair to steal back. Realistically, the main body and legs are nothing special. The arms and weapons are what make it look Orky. The paintjob too. But the basic shape is just another robot. The Enclave isn't above using the weapons of the enemy.

So, once the cord is found, I should have a few razorbacks to show off, a squad or two, maybe a drop pod or two, and ideally the venerable dread. So keep an eye on this one folks ;)

Archived