Black Legion Dreadnought

Dark Sensei

Hiya fraters !

This is the ancient Onimus from my BL rushing to participate. This is an 3 or 4 years old work. Photos are poor (mainly dread in a hand and camera in another) and with a yellowish light (bed-light).

CC more than welcomed.

ARE YOU TALKING TO ME ???

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/Dark-Sensei/Photo007.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/Dark-Sensei/Photo021.jpg

IA1 OBJECTIVE SECURED !

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/Dark-Sensei/Photo005.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/Dark-Sensei/Photo019.jpg

We shall not flail...

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/Dark-Sensei/Photo020.jpg

There are some other weapon arms painted (Las-can and H Plas if I remember well) but I couldn't find them yesterday. The articulated arm in front is a stolen idea from the very talentuous frater Desmodius.

DS

The model looks really dark and grim. The upclose shot of the face has alot of shadows so cant see the details as much, but second shot from below shows all the detail and highlights really nicely. Well above table top standard like usual.

Cheers Messanger

N.B. little guy on the base looks great and clever use of words. By the way how did you make the little guy? or is it an existing model?

:) :P :jaw: I'm impressed! No I'm stunned, I've no words. That IS AWESOME, TERRIFIC, SUPERB! He's almost alive. You made his armor look like weathered rusty steel, I can imagine how this Dread lived (if this word can be applied to a cyborg) in Eye of Terror with no proper maintanance and service for 10 000 years, and ultimately came to the state, you presented now.

You're all too kind fraters, it took time but nothing like talent or even technique. Nearly all colours are "out of the tube", there is some wash on gold (water, tamiya orange smoke, some auld brown ink, a hint of blue ink and a little little microscopic drop of chaos black) and some pulverised pastel for dusty weathering.

And therefore, close-ups are a pain to see. It goes ok fer TT.

The little pet thingy is from WB range. If I remember well, it comes with some long staff and goes with some necrarch on foot for vampire army... Blessed was the time when GW had a decent spare part catalog... And inks !

DS

Thanks for the kind words fraters

This is indeed the Alpha head (my favorite amongst the FW ones). I traded my painted BL head against an unpainted Alpha one (seemed like some kind of a deal sor both of us) and so I kept the old skull colour for the main part of the head in memoriam (yellow light doesn't help much picking this out).

Golds are quite an easy work when you have all the right colours. First, you need a good deep (not thick, please notice) basic shining gold.

Easy !

Then, you start to work out the lights with burnished gold (we're not at highlights yet, just the main lighted zones). Be carefull starting using thinned paint (without water for this is metallic painting).

Still easy !

Now, you work out the highlights with some Mithril in your burnished (silver from Rackam works well too, it has some "white-ish quality, has a better catch of ink-works but seems less metallic and reflective than mithril fromGW). This has to be subtle. the highlight must be guessed. Still dont worry if its not, we're talking about mere TT work.

All too easy !!!

Now comes the hard time because some experience of your wash helps much.

My wash uses water, tamiya orange smoke (this is a marvellous paint, try it and your work will change (you'll mutate too but this is a hardly noticeable backdraw), some auld brown ink (can be done with Flesw wash and chaos black), a hint of blue ink and a little little microscopic drop of chaos black). The amount of water is important and there, I don't know how to explain it for I just know when its good... I'm affraid you'll have to make some tests.

A bit harder, you might need some tries but its worth the pain and ever before you realise it, you'll find it an esay technique too !

In the end, you can do two last things but I'm not even sure I did them on this one.

- A very limited (in quantities) wash in the recesses with some water, chaos black and most important of all, some blue ink (a very little amount). As we all know in painting, black isn't the darkest colour (but blue is in a gold paint).

- You can re-work the hignlights a little with near pure mithril (very little gold in it). But be carefull at this stage, dont spoil the whole thing with some thick work.

Ok, it may sound tough but its far from it (Obbey the kitten and buy friggin Tamiya Smoke... The orange one !!!).

DS

Thanks for the breakdown on your technique for the gold Sensei. I have used Tamiya Hull Red mixed with black ink (or an old pot of GW Armour Wash i still have) as a wash on metallics, sometimes with some Flesh Wash added on warmer colours like gold. Also for picking out details, rivets etc i use watered down Tin Bitz which works well, especially on golds.

Medusa

Archived