Go Big or Go Home - Project Battle Company

Twin .44

Well, here I am with this gigantic box set and because I'm overly Impatient, I want this done almost immediately. So naturally, it's killing me to not officially start this project up until Monday. I entered into the Call with 5 Tactical squads, but I plan to go way above and beyond, unless my house explodes of course. But doing 106 marines and 9 vehicles is rather intimidating even to the most experienced modeler, much less the short amount of time. I know the vehicles are going to kill me on this project, so over the past two weeks I have tested out quick solutions without sacrificing the look and feel of the army as a whole.

This is the test marine that I have worked on to get the look of the Crimson Fists in a speed trial.

gallery_42800_3478_6898.jpg

This was done very quickly and never even primed. a perusing of the local Home Depot landed me a spray that attached directly to plastic without a primer. only problem is that it takes some time to dry out and done improperly you won't notice your finger prints all over the pieces until it's too late. there is a major downfall to this method. THERE IS NO ROOM FOR ERROR!!! if you make a mistake, immediately wet the area down to get rid of it. I have yet to get a proper way to get rid of such issues, but wetting down with the same brush can get a decent effect. and whatever you do, try to get the spray in one shot as sprays like this go on thicker than any primer.

This is the difference between my spray painted, and my hand painted models.

gallery_42800_3478_16282.jpg

gallery_42800_3478_6292.jpg

as you can easily see, I like my hand painted models much darker and I suck at painting faces. plus, faces cannot be speed painted unless you, obviously, have a lot. so there will be only helmets in this battle company. the photo barely does justice to the hand painted model as it comes out black, but in fact has a very blue tint to it. The next issue with hand painting is vehicles. I didn't do a test tank as I don't have one to test out. But in close inspection, hand painted tanks leave streaks, which bugs me.

And so, without further ado, here is the beginning star of this project, the full battle company on sprues!

gallery_42800_3478_34266.jpg

So, can it be done? 115 models within a time span of 3 months to completely obliterate my own vow of only 5 units? Only time will tell!

Up next, Monday/Tuesday, First completed tactical squad! there will be at least 2 updates per week, each one a completed unit. weekends will allow for more dedication and time to perhaps double the production rate.

You sir, are insane. Makes everyone else pale in comparison really.

To fortify our brother for his trial - have an ale. You'll need it.

I knew I forgot to stock up on something!

And thank you, I am building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude, you have my Gratitude. (If anyone can catch the reference, you will be considered epic!)

Obi wan :lol:

Blue looks good. I like the gloss.

This is mad, I have to force myself t do one mini a night, I look forward to seeing results. I am so going to track this. Another option could be an air brush, its speedy and if you use a wash over the base colour you could easily paint your models fast and still sacrifice little to nothing in the process.

Still i wish you good luck.

Obi wan :)

Blue looks good. I like the gloss.

This is mad, I have to force myself t do one mini a night, I look forward to seeing results. I am so going to track this. Another option could be an air brush, its speedy and if you use a wash over the base colour you could easily paint your models fast and still sacrifice little to nothing in the process.

Still i wish you good luck.

Thank you sir. I appreciate the props and advice. I would try out the spray gun but time constraints prohibit such an option. Not to mention finances since I'm punches all the shoulder pads for tactical and assault squads plus the fists ' conversion packs.

But I have a good feeling it will come out well and in good time.

And why Obi Wan?

Can it be done? Totally.

For the CotI 3, I'm aiming for about 10-12 units for my Enclave. If your interested, me and War Angel are going to make a thread sometime next week so people can follow along with our mad dash at making all kinds. You could join in if you want :)

Can it be done? Totally.

For the CotI 3, I'm aiming for about 10-12 units for my Enclave. If your interested, me and War Angel are going to make a thread sometime next week so people can follow along with our mad dash at making all kinds. You could join in if you want :)

I would love to sir and I appreciate the invite. Just let me know exactly what its all about and we'll make it happen!

I am building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude, you have my Gratitude. (If anyone can catch the reference, you will be considered epic!)

You will forge your spirit in the traditions of your ancestors.

Those who oppose you will be sent to Detroit. :)

Personally, I like your hand painted model. But then again, I am a shattered wreck of a modeler who failed at his own (first) attempt to do what you are doing. When the weakened bone and flesh has been discarded, I may attempt it again...but until then I shall watch your attempts and regain hope and become inspired.

..and remember, despite millions of dollars of research, death continues to be our nation's number one killer...

Ciao,

CDR Grendelwulf

I am building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude, you have my Gratitude. (If anyone can catch the reference, you will be considered epic!)

You will forge your spirit in the traditions of your ancestors.

Those who oppose you will be sent to Detroit. :)

Personally, I like your hand painted model. But then again, I am a shattered wreck of a modeler who failed at his own (first) attempt to do what you are doing. When the weakened bone and flesh has been discarded, I may attempt it again...but until then I shall watch your attempts and regain hope and become inspired.

..and remember, despite millions of dollars of research, death continues to be our nation's number one killer...

Ciao,

CDR Grendelwulf

Epic sir!

And I prefer the hand painted version as well, but in order for me to not fail this attempt I must paint at an accelerated rate in order to inspire fellow brothers such as you and to prove myself to the Emperor of Mankind and the B&C.

Can it be done? Totally.

I would love to sir and I appreciate the invite. Just let me know exactly what its all about and we'll make it happen!

Not much to tell really, just trying to get more people interested..

Basically, just whenever you have something neat to show, you post it there also. There was one awhile ago called 'A tale of two armies' which was Space Sharks and Castigators, if you want, you could have a look at that to see how it basically goes.

Well, here it is, the first Tactical squad. as you will notice, there are no shoulder pads or backpacks. those will be done this weekend depending on if my order for the IF conversion kits and Tactical squad shoulder pads comes in. if not, there will be skulls cracks. and once these are actually completed, I will try to get better photos of them up. thanks!

gallery_42800_3478_38372.jpg

I have to salute you in your efforts, this coming from a fellow sufferer.

I opened mine last week and having stared at the giant pile of sprues for a while, I now have 20 assault marines in various stages of construction. I tend to build first, paint later.

I've taken a few pics along the way and will probably write something up eventually as I'm taking notes on what I do that works well and what I do that doesn't.

I have to salute you in your efforts, this coming from a fellow sufferer.

I opened mine last week and having stared at the giant pile of sprues for a while, I now have 20 assault marines in various stages of construction. I tend to build first, paint later.

I've taken a few pics along the way and will probably write something up eventually as I'm taking notes on what I do that works well and what I do that doesn't.

My advice, don't speed paint it and take your time. the worst part of this project thus far has been the Highlighting. It drove me nuts at 5 minutes per model. otherwise it was a fairly simple task. If I've got time this weekend I'll toss on here a quick speed process of exactly how I do this so maybe your battle company will look less intimidating. and also, try not to look at the box, it's what makes you say "I'm doing what?"

also forgot to mention the next completed squad should be tomorrow as i have a game tonight. then starts my four day weekend, and hopefully I can finish up the entire first part of my vow so long as I get my shoulder pads in.

I've been looking at that pile of sprues and wondering how many Power Fists there were in that large pile, keeping in mind that the Dev, Assault, Command Squad and Commander sprues all have Power fists... (counting at least 6 already)

How are you equipping every sergeant? what's the loadout on the squads?

loving what i'm seeing already, i'm keeping both eyes on you, sir! ;)

Arenis

also, by the way... I prefer handpainted, but you can sort them out after your epic project, I guess... make Coteaz and Kator proud ^_^

You mean Cortez and Kantor? :D

And I think it's nine powerfists total. one on each assault sprue, one on each devestator sprue, and the captain sprue. I ended up using 2 already before I started the project. (check background on latest picture post.)

I think the list was:

6 powerfists

5 power weapons

2 plasma cannons

5 plasma pistols

3 heavy bolters

2 lascannons

4 missile launchers

2 melta

2 plasma

2 flamer

3 multi-melta

I'll repost the whole list if I've got time tonight. I was gonna put a thunder hammer on one of the assault seargeants but... no hammer. D'oh!

I prefer handpainted as well. but the stuff I use is kinda latex based and can be very irritating. I had to think of vehicles for the process as well. I've stated before my hatred for streak marks and this eliminates them.

According to the GW website Space Marine Battle Company Tactica article there are the following in the box

7 Flamers

7 Melta guns

7 Plasma guns

8 Missile launchers

4 Plasma cannons

2 Multi-meltas

4 Lascannons

4 Heavy bolters

12 Plasma pistols

7 Power fists

6 Power swords

1 Lightning claw

2 Combi weapons

1 Storm bolter

5 Combat shields

4 Power axes

8 Servo skulls

Personally I haven't counted but I did discover there were enough beaky helmets to give a whole assault squad them, I like the more streamlined look for my jetpac guys :D

Alright, so here's the readout on what I'm equipping the battle company up as.

6 Tactical Squads:

4 Power Fists

2 Power Weapons

2 Plasma Pistols

3 Flamers

2 Melta Gun

1 Plasma Gun

1 Plasma Cannon

1 Lascannon

2 Heavy Bolters

Missile Launcher

Multi Melta

2 Devestator Squads

1 Power Fist

2 Heavy Bolters

2 Plasma Cannons

2 Lascannons

Multi Melta

Missile Launcher

2 Assault Squads

5 Plasma Pistols

1 Power Weapon

1 Power Fist

1 Storm Shield

Counts as Sicarius from Captain Sprue

Command Squad

Company Standard

Company Champion

Power Fist

Plasma Pistol

Chaplain (if time)

Jump Pack

Digital Weapons

I have named the entire company "The Bleeding Fists of Dorn"

-edit- almost forgot the 8 rhino's. all just with HKM's. Rhino will have Twin Linked Lascannons.

Twin,

This is almost an insane undertaking, but since I eventually plan on painting the entire Crimson Fists Chapter I guess I am not really one to talk. Everything looks great so far, and I look forward to more pics.

Twin,

This is almost an insane undertaking, but since I eventually plan on painting the entire Crimson Fists Chapter I guess I am not really one to talk. Everything looks great so far, and I look forward to more pics.

So, about 20 men then? :D

Still going strong Twin, it'd be nice to see this one done. I've seen many peoples enthusiasm wane under weight of plastic!

COME ON! 25 GUYS!!! Give them some credit, they are at least at 26. well, you looked forward to more pics, and I shall not be one to disappoint folks! Once again, no guards or packs, my order should be in within the next few days (hopefully today). the seargent has no head. funny story, forgot to pick one out, and i grabbed an extra bolter. D'OH!

here it is, Tactical Squad 2!

gallery_42800_3478_39679.jpg

I was in the middle of a long break from 40k when these battle company box sets came out. I am now scrambling to buy one if I can find one online or at a store around the US.

Good luck. I had to get one from th UK and it was the only one I could find thanks to a tip from someone on this site. It was $520.

Archived