Mines

Thaylen

I tend to like using scout bikes in a lot of my armies. For 185pts I usually run 6 Scout Bikes 3 nade launchers and a Power fist on the sergeant. I find that the tend to be extremely effective at cracking vehicles if i get first turn. Infiltrate plus turbo scout will put me 12" away from 5 krak nades and 3 PF attacks on some juicy Armor 10 vehicles. I have often wondered about Mines as the are a good area denial trick but can sometimes turn out to be quite pathetic against well armored units. Some dirty tricks could include dropping mines in your opponents deployment zone on on an objective.

Your thoughts and input would be appreciated.

-Thaylen

Mines are definately worth it.

For ten points they can kill alot of guys, of course its random but 2D6 S4 auto hits is pretty darn good.

Not only do they cause actual damage but they provide a psychological edge, as your opponent will be sweating as to where they are.

Im sure someone mathammered it once (im not a fan), and it showed that they usually earn their points in kills alone, add in the mind games and its only a winner..

GC08

The hits are nice, but the psychological edge is the big advantage. At the start of the game, you get to tell your opponent, "I planted mines on the board. No, I don't have to tell you where, just that it's area terrain." You've effectively given yourself a mild amount of control over every piece of area terrain in the game. Mech armies won't care much, if at all, but against balanced lists or lists with lots of footsloggers, it's pretty impressive what a little uncertainty will do to your opponent's gameplay.

Where I find mines really excel is against hoard armies that like to try and get cover saves. True, if he happens to bring the carnifex through, your not going to do much, but if those genestealers try to go through first they can have a nasty shock.

Archived